PLD and how I learned to quit worrying about the bomb

The ability to keep this thread alive?
Hilarious. Laughing aside, what hipcheck said is right, for the production and effort u can say that nick dowd could been that player. Amadio is a better value. At this point.

What can I say if you don't see it? The same thing was said about Byfield a lot. The big difference with Byfield was that at 20 he had time to grow his game, and he has, and I expect he will keep growing it.

With PLD the skill is there, it's just not there consistently, shift after shift. I've seen him make amazing plays very few players could make. A ton of talent and skill. Mostly wasted, unfortunately.
You are right…I don’t see it. Ty for respectful debate.

3 players on that team asked for a trade at the end of last year. Wheeler who seemed to have been a problem was moved out. Who knows what was going on. 2 of the other players that asked for a trade ended up signing after PLD left. Who knows why that was. Does not mean it had anything to do with the fans view of PLD. Many fans disliked Connor and Scheifele for their defensive effort as much as they showed any dislike of PLD. This was especially true of Connor.

I believe the last 2 playres stayed due to PLD being traded (namely hellybuch (was on a jets preseason show, forgot which one). I believe the quote was "they only want players that want to b there"

I believe the last 2 playres stayed due to PLD being traded (namely hellybuch (was on a jets preseason show, forgot which one). I believe the quote was "they only want players that want to b there"
Yeah, I had heard something similar, but not a lot of info available. I think I posted a link to an article that references something to this effect.

found elsewhere

gkx4z8uboaap2qb-png.849668

Are you kidding? His skill set is of a very, very good No. 1 NHL center. Kind of a mix between Kopi and Byfield, really. Big, fast, strong, terrific vision, good passer, good shot, soft hands. Can't take the puck from him if he is playing with motivation. When he wants to, he can dominate games. He could be point per game guy. He doesn't want to enough is the problem. That's what makes him so frustrating. Blessed with a ton of physical gifts but not enough desire.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

found elsewhere

gkx4z8uboaap2qb-png.849668
The black wedge is actually spot on.

Also I showed my fiance the Akil postgame interview last week to remark on how mature he is. Of course she said he has a great smile.

PLD’s came on next and right away she said “he needs a psychologist.” She elaborated that he’s nervous and uncomfortable. Of my criticisms, those aren’t traits I’ve pegged on him. Maybe it’s her woman’s intuition? Time for Tony Robbins? A good coal walk could maybe get him to move his feet.

Of all the theories about PLD the one that I find most fascinating is that he might just be an extremely literal person.....In any case all this is still on Blake to have known beforehand, and it's still on Blake to find a staff that can make this whole thing work together. Otherwise the big kaboom is coming

Of all the theories about PLD the one that I find most fascinating is that he might just be an extremely literal person.....In any case all this is still on Blake to have known beforehand, and it's still on Blake to find a staff that can make this whole thing work together. Otherwise the big kaboom is coming

Yes he has been the 1st star of a game more than once this season. Also he won't be our highest paid forward until next season but there is no doubt that he is currently overpaid for what he is producing.
That’s amazing and on reflection, I believe it. There was a game back in like October of last year, possibly against the Jets where it happened. Am I missing that one, or anything since?

That’s amazing and on reflection, I believe it. There was a game back in like October of last year, possibly against the Jets where it happened. Am I missing that one, or anything since?
The last time was against Columbus on February 20th. I recall seeing it occur one other time earlier in the season also, but would have to hunt it down. I will admit, however, that I don't always stick around to see the 3 star selection so it may have happened more than twice.

The last time was against Columbus on February 20th. I recall seeing it occur one other time earlier in the season also, but would have to hunt it down. I will admit, however, that I don't always stick around to see the 3 star selection so it may have happened more than twice.

Wow. I can’t recall that game, must have been before the last coach got fired.

That was the game that the ESPN broadcast was praising him every shift like he was a little kid. I complained in the game day thread.

Last edited:
Are you kidding? His skill set is of a very, very good No. 1 NHL center. Kind of a mix between Kopi and Byfield, really. Big, fast, strong, terrific vision, good passer, good shot, soft hands. Can't take the puck from him if he is playing with motivation. When he wants to, he can dominate games. He could be point per game guy. He doesn't want to enough is the problem. That's what makes him so frustrating. Blessed with a ton of physical gifts but not enough desire.
Are you watching tonight's game? He's barely a top 9 forward for the Kings.
What I read you typing is his PROJECTED skill set. PLD could do those things since he's got the skills and body for it. But, in reality, he doesn't. It is like saying Nail Yakupov has the skill set of an elite scoring winger-- world class speed coupled with a lethal shot. Remember he was can't-miss and was going to be the next Bure or a smaller Ovechkin. Instead he was quickly and quietly out of the league.
Trevor Moore's skill set would be undrafted FA. He's too small, average speed, blah blah blah. Yet, he completes his ass off and works on his game and is a 30 goal scorer this season.
I like the idea of a sports psychologist for PLD. The Kings need to try something to get him producing commensurate with his contract.

Are you watching tonight's game? He's barely a top 9 forward for the Kings.
What does that have to do with his skill set? You can have the skill set of McDavid and still not be a good player. PLD absolutely has all those skills, they are not "projected." He has exhibited them - occasionally. What he doesn't do is put his skills together or use them consistently, shift after shift, game after game. But has he exhibited all those skills in NHL games? Yes, absolutely. He has dominated NHL games in the past (although he hasn't done it in a Kings uniform), and he has played dominant games in the playoffs. That's the reason he's getting paid $8.5M - he has skills and abilities few NHL players do, and he has demonstrated the ability to use them to great effect. You think the Kings' entire front office and scouting department consists of absolute morons? The Kings were obviously hoping that he would start putting those skills and abilities to good use consistently, despite his evident lack of interest in doing so. The big mistake was betting he'd get motivated if he was in a place he wanted to be.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom