PLD and how I learned to quit worrying about the bomb

He was never going to outscore Fiala or Kopitar. He probably wasn’t expected to outscore Kempe coming off his 40+ goal season. So where does that leave Dubois? #4. #5 if Byfield’s production were to meet his talent.
Really hard for either PLD or Byfield to match the production of Fiala, Kopi and Kempe without being on the top PP unit. That said, PLD's stats since Hiller took over are even more impressive than they seem.

Really hard for either PLD or Byfield to match the production of Fiala, Kopi and Kempe without being on the top PP unit. That said, PLD's stats since Hiller took over are even more impressive than they seem.
What’s interesting to me is PLD has a history of being a PP merchant. He’s getting very little PP production this season.

Depending on how much weight you put in Expected Goals, PLD sits at 20 expected goals vs 15 actual goals. So he’s been extremely unlucky this season.

Has he been worth $8M this season? Hell no. Is there any reason to seriously considering buying him out and taking a 14 year penalty? Absolutely not.

Wow! A thoughtful...logical post that uses actual numbers and well-reasoned observation to support its position. Are you sure you are on the right site?
I get why people don’t like his game. I certainly am not a fan of how he plays at time. And the guy started off on the worst foot possible with the fanbase in general. A strong playoff performance can only help.

I’m just holding out hope that he’s not done growing as a professional. I know I grew quite a bit in my professional and personal life after the age of 25.

I get why people don’t like his game. I certainly am not a fan of how he plays at time. And the guy started off on the worst foot possible with the fanbase in general. A strong playoff performance can only help.

I’m just holding out hope that he’s not done growing as a professional. I know I grew quite a bit in my professional and personal life after the age of 25.

I do enjoy your slightly positive take on PLD as the entire internet sh*tting on him does get a bit old. If I'm mad at anyone it's Blake :D

I will say at 25 I believe I was just starting the majority of my mistakes, to be smoothed out moreso a few years later :D though one has to admit that in athlete years he's practically almost 40, and a "veteran", because Kopitar is Father Time at 36. So that kind of plays into it a bit as well.

Personally I'd be running QB with PLD and a quality winger ala Fiala/Arvy/Moore as a serious 2nd unit threat, and stick with it HILLER. The things he does with lines.. is something.

Last edited:
Wow! A thoughtful...logical post that uses actual numbers and well-reasoned observation to support its position. Are you sure you are on the right site?
But it is really not that accurate. Eye test he is still the 7th or 8th best King. On any night, I'd rather roll with Kopi, Byfield, Kempe, Danualt, Moore, and Fiala. I know what I will get with those 6 night in and night out-- skill and will every game. It is a nearly a tie between PLD and Laff.
I've seldom seen a guy look more disinterested on the ice. How many board battles does PLD win? Where is the stat for that? A guy with PLD's size should be winning many more board battles. He should be imposing his size on people and disconnecting them from the puck. But it doesn't happen. Smaller guys impose their will on him.
And I call bullshit on "we brought him in to be the 4th or 5th most productive forward on the team". I'd assume when you trade a bunch of assets for a guy and extend him for 8 years at 8.5 million (the 3rd highest cap hit between 2 future HHOF players and the 2nd highest cap hit starting next year), that we'd be getting the future 1C. Not a piece, but the piece... to quote Scuds. PLD is the 15th highest paid center in the league. Is he playing like it?
So he's gone from one of the worst contracts in the league, with Huberdeau in Calgary, to a bad contract. That's improvement but stilll far from what we need. PLD needs to have a monster playoffs.

But it is really not that accurate. Eye test he is still the 7th or 8th best King. On any night, I'd rather roll with Kopi, Byfield, Kempe, Danualt, Moore, and Fiala. I know what I will get with those 6 night in and night out-- skill and will every game. It is a nearly a tie between PLD and Laff.
I've seldom seen a guy look more disinterested on the ice. How many board battles does PLD win? Where is the stat for that? A guy with PLD's size should be winning many more board battles. He should be imposing his size on people and disconnecting them from the puck. But it doesn't happen. Smaller guys impose their will on him.
And I call bullshit on "we brought him in to be the 4th or 5th most productive forward on the team". I'd assume when you trade a bunch of assets for a guy and extend him for 8 years at 8.5 million (the 3rd highest cap hit between 2 future HHOF players and the 2nd highest cap hit starting next year), that we'd be getting the future 1C. Not a piece, but the piece... to quote Scuds. PLD is the 15th highest paid center in the league. Is he playing like it?
So he's gone from one of the worst contracts in the league, with Huberdeau in Calgary, to a bad contract. That's improvement but stilll far from what we need. PLD needs to have a monster playoffs.
Hard to disagree with any of that.

As previously noted, PLD has all the tools, it's the effort he puts in. He fails that eye test every time.

But I think this is more 'personality' related and brings this phrase to mind:

"A leopard never changes its spots"

I think it's impossible for one to change their character. And it seems PLD just has a lackadaisical nature about him and that will never change.

It is what it is. At 25 years of age, I don't see a major renaissance coming any time soon. I mean, we can all sit here and hope for a rebirth of some kind, but usually that takes a life-changing event, be it a major hardship or some other consequential off-ice circumstance that leads to a permanent change of demeanor.

In the meantime, we got what we got folks: A naturally gifted athlete that lacks intensity on the ice.

As another posted noted, it would be nice if we could put Lizotte's brain into PLD's body. Now that would really be something special.

jxrDAL.gif

I appreciate his improvement the last few games.
I still always get the feeling he is gassed after 20 seconds on the ice. Always the first of his linemates looking for a change. Maybe a conditioning issue?
Let’s hope he keeps trending the right direction and has a “playoff Penner” gear.

I appreciate his improvement the last few games.
I still always get the feeling he is gassed after 20 seconds on the ice. Always the first of his linemates looking for a change. Maybe a conditioning issue?
Let’s hope he keeps trending the right direction and has a “playoff Penner” gear.
Playoff Penner would be a fantastic outcome. PLD just seems too happy or too content to me. It is like he wants to win but doesn't want to offend. The Kings need to find a way to make him meaner and ornrier.
8fbf55f2-9a89-4f49-bbd9-f0a214c2e8a8_text.gif

Has he been worth $8M this season? Hell no. Is there any reason to seriously considering buying him out and taking a 14 year penalty? Absolutely not.
Just to play devil's advocate here: The no movement clause kicking in after the first season of his current contract and a history of not lasting more than 4 seasons with either of his previous teams, combined with his play before Hiller was given the reigns - how's that for a reason?

I'm pleased with his current level of play, but I worry about the potential of a relapse in a year or two after the NMC creates an extra complication.

Keeping a player just because you paid a high price to trade for him is succumbing to the sunk cost fallacy.

He dropped his stick at least 4 times in the Canucks games -- maybe it's a sign.

Just to play devil's advocate here: The no movement clause kicking in after the first season of his current contract and a history of not lasting more than 4 seasons with either of his previous teams, combined with his play before Hiller was given the reigns - how's that for a reason?

I'm pleased with his current level of play, but I worry about the potential of a relapse in a year or two after the NMC creates an extra complication.

Keeping a player just because you paid a high price to trade for him is succumbing to the sunk cost fallacy.
Thing is it's extremely doubtful any team will take that contact without the Kings retaining a large portion of the contract and throw in assets. Gotta face the facts that at this point we are stuck with him, good or bad.

This will still turn out to be a good deal in the long run as salaries and cap increases, PLD matures and elevates his game, and a couple years from now when Kopi retires the trade will pay high dividends. Just gotta be patient and give it time at this point.

Thing is it's extremely doubtful any team will take that contact without the Kings retaining a large portion of the contract and throw in assets. Gotta face the facts that at this point we are stuck with him, good or bad.

This will still turn out to be a good deal in the long run as salaries and cap increases, PLD matures and elevates his game, and a couple years from now when Kopi retires the trade will pay high dividends. Just gotta be patient and give it time at this point.
Believe me, PLD still has fans that are GM's in this league. It would be possible to trade that entire contract. The hard part of it is still should Blake do it. That NMC looms....but all it really does is remove arizona from the equation. Lumbus and Winterpeg are probably not in the market for his services. Do you really think he would turn down a shot at Chicago, NYC or other? Ideally the Kings find a way to make this work, but every time you get into one of those situations....well you end up with message board threads like this.

Believe me, PLD still has fans that are GM's in this league. It would be possible to trade that entire contract. The hard part of it is still should Blake do it. That NMC looms....but all it really does is remove arizona from the equation. Lumbus and Winterpeg are probably not in the market for his services. Do you really think he would turn down a shot at Chicago, NYC or other? Ideally the Kings find a way to make this work, but every time you get into one of those situations....well you end up with message board threads like this.

You don't think the Jets want him back? The fans also cheer him on "Duuuuuuu" bois is silent because French.

If we are able to trade him without retaining salary or throwing in sweeteners, and can get a fair return then I am all for it. As much as I believe PLD will turn into a valuable part of the team and his contract will, in the end, be a deal I can't behind spending that type of money on a player who isn't a leader. Additionally, the risk of him becoming disgruntled, etc, within the term of the contract, as others have pointed out, is too high.

Hopefully he has a stellar playoff run and we can trade him.

If we are able to trade him without retaining salary or throwing in sweeteners, and can get a fair return then I am all for it. As much as I believe PLD will turn into a valuable part of the team and his contract will, in the end, be a deal I can't behind spending that type of money on a player who isn't a leader. Additionally, the risk of him becoming disgruntled, etc, within the term of the contract, as others have pointed out, is too high.

Hopefully he has a stellar playoff run and we can trade him.
The fair return is trading him without retaining, there would be a problem child returning

Just trying to look at things differently, you know...... the glass being half full.

PLD during the month of March and so far in April........

18 games
13 points
+/- +10

If he played at this pace all year that would be a 60pt season. (yes, I know..... BIG "IF"). Lets hope he keeps up this level of play and expands on it during the PO's.

Also, when the Kings are in Winnipeg do you wonder why the Jets fans Boo PLD every time he touches the puck? If they hated the player and did not want him on the team they should be happy that he asked for a trade. They should be happy with the trade return as well. So, why do they boo him?

PLD during the month of March and so far in April........

18 games
13 points
+/- +10

If he wanted to play at this pace all year that would be a 60pt season. (yes, I know..... BIG "IF"). Lets hope he keeps up this level of play and expands on it during the PO's.
You left out the "wanted to play" FTFY........... :mhihi:

Also, when the Kings are in Winnipeg do you wonder why the Jets fans Boo PLD every time he touches the puck? If they hated the player and did not want him on the team they should be happy that he asked for a trade. They should be happy with the trade return as well. So, why do they boo him?

I guess because he asked for a trade? They hated him, he asked for a trade, then they hated him more.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom