Tales from the beer league part 2

Dude thanks! Very helpful information.

Im enjoying every inch minute of D.

I did stop swatting pucks out of air last game. I did continue to use my stick only in situations like you mentioned "puck on the ice" and i made sure i had a solid grip on my stick and knew i could stop it. Its my goalies first season so shes trying to figure things out as well so our comms arent the best. But ill try and let her know its ok to shout at me if she needs me to move. I worry about my positioning and if im screening her. Im just trying to be the best D i can. Idk people need to give it a shot its not glamorous like forwards but damn does it feel rewarding at times.

Just not the times you deflect the puck into your own net :ducksmash:

Dude thanks! Very helpful information.

Im enjoying every inch minute of D.

I did stop swatting pucks out of air last game. I did continue to use my stick only in situations like you mentioned "puck on the ice" and i made sure i had a solid grip on my stick and knew i could stop it. Its my goalies first season so shes trying to figure things out as well so our comms arent the best. But ill try and let her know its ok to shout at me if she needs me to move. I worry about my positioning and if im screening her. Im just trying to be the best D i can. Idk people need to give it a shot its not glamorous like forwards but damn does it feel rewarding at times.

Just not the times you deflect the puck into your own net :ducksmash:
It is quite rewarding. Setting up the play from your own end, and often getting secondary assists is awesome! Also, nothing better than making a long, crisp stretch pass! I take that back, scoring on a clapper from the point is the best, followed up by a snapper/wrister from the point, then a long, crisp stretch pass.

New BHL season kicked off last night. Uneventful win for us, 6-0 after the first period, the other team only had 5 skaters. We asked them if they wanted some of our players (we had two full lines, plus one extra forward). So three of our players went to there team, at that point the refs bailed since it was no longer a "USA HOCKEY" event. They set the clock to 30 minutes run time and we basically just scrimmaged the rest of the time. Even switched goalies so we shot on our own goalie for the third period. One apple for me in the first period, nothing special, just a standard breakout pass to our LW who proceeded to make a couple moves and score.

It is quite rewarding. Setting up the play from your own end, and often getting secondary assists is awesome! Also, nothing better than making a long, crisp stretch pass! I take that back, scoring on a clapper from the point is the best, followed up by a snapper/wrister from the point, then a long, crisp stretch pass.

Yo WTF took me a second to realize you changed your name LOL.

But I finally did it!!!!!!!! I scored my first goal as a Dman. Wasnt no fancy clapper but i finally had the guts to carry the puck end to end ala Cale Makar in super slow motion though and scored. f*** did it feel so rewarding. We lost 5-4 but before i scored we were down 5-1. We had 3 mins left and it sparked a little comeback but we ran out of time. Still it felt f***ing great to do something i thought id never be able to.

Big gratz to you X! Just remember when you go coast to coast like that, don't feel like you have to shoot. If it's not there, hold onto it and do the Kopi circle and wait for the cavalry. Remember as a Dman if you turn it over down deep everyone else is going the wrong direction and you're dog ass tired. Surest way to spring a break the other way.

On the plus side I've been on the ice in some higher level skates again and things are finally starting to come back. The knee surgery is a success. Now I gotta drop about 40 lbs....I'll start after this weekend of boozing.

We beat the undefeated team last night, kind of walloped them, 7-3. So now we are tied for first, both are 4-1. But they didnt have two of their star players, but had two good subs instead, one kid we could tell was really dialing it back (thank goodness). We got a new guy that came out this week and last week, cool older dude, plays D. But its kind of like, we dont really need any more players type of scenarios. It was funny, this guy on our team had 4 goals, all were on deflections, most were accidental! including one on my shot from the point, skimmed off his leg and redirected to the lower corner of the goal. :nuts:

So I've been back on the ice for the last few weeks a little more regular. I'm still not ready for game action but the last three sundays i've skated with another skate that's a little higher up (the guy who runs it is cool and has let Mini come out too). Feeling more comfortable going out on D and while the last two weeks if someone got around my ass I just let them go instead of trying to open up my hips and close em off, this week I felt like it was worth it to see what happened. I'm strong left dominated and my right knee had the surgery. I'll be honest I was way bad on the left side. The strength is not there yet to open up the hips on that side. On the right side I can open fine but I'm not stable on the right knee so it's also an adventure. Mini has gotten a ton more confident though and got to skate at forward with one of the better centers. They were feeding off each other and he ended up potting about 6-7 goals. That confidence will help him since High School tryouts are next weekend. He's hoping to make the 5th of 5 teams. This high school is DEEEEEEEEEP.

There was a couple other kids out there in the skate, one who was a first year bantam coming up. His dad sent him a suicide pass up the middle and I was right in front of it and him. I didn't blow his kid up, but I did yell "BOOOM!" which got the kid to look up and see me so he could bail on the pass. We chatted about it after and had a good laugh.

Next up is working on the core strength to see if I can't stop overcompensating.

Ive been doing alright this season. We had our playoff game past weekend and we won so on to the chip. I probably played my best defense game yet. Gave the extra effort and it paid off.

Start to bust my ass and pinch instead of being scared to be out of position. I have been working on my stride and speed so i went ahead and put it to use and didnt give up on plays. Got blown by once while pinching but busted my ass to catch up enough to lift forwards stick and ruin his breakaway.

That sh*t felt good.

I play defense in a roller league, and my play is meh to terrible. Last night I actually played a little better than meh. I scored two goals, got an assist, and blocked a couple shots. We ended up tying in that game, but it was pretty good outing for me.

After giving up the first goal of the game, on the first shot of the game we came back to win 4-3. I wish the scorekeeper was keeping track of shots because it felt like we easily outshot them at least 2:1. The game pretty much went back and forth regarding the score, and really wasn't as close as the scoreboard would indicate. This team was one of the three deadlocked with 4 points (tied for 2nd), and we were one of three deadlocked with 8 points (tied for 1st). Not sure what our deal was, but we just weren't getting shots passed their goalie. I had the usual handful of shots, and a couple rushes in which I intercepted the predictable stretch pass through the neutral zone and carried it into their zone, wide around the D and cut to the net for a back-hander that went off the goalies glove and over the cross-bar #almosthadit. In the 2nd period I had a winger feed me from the left corner as I pinched diagonally from the left point and all in one motion I wristed it top corner....off the goalies blocker, the corner of the pipes and back out to the slot, #beedeeaintscoringtonight

It was a fun game, no chippiness. There was a scary moment where our left winger and one of the refs collided in the corner and our winger got dinged in the face with the ref's skate. Our teammate doesn't where a cage or visor and luckily he was not cut or injured!

Next week's game is against a team that bumped up from the division beneath us, they got smoked 10-3 last night and we plan on laying the hurt on them as well too!

Now that we playing for the chip im a little nervous. I dont want to be the reason we lose so im gonna take a stay at home defense approach i think. Team is full of sand baggers who at the minimum should be playing tin/lower bronze. But it is what it is after all its The Rinks so i should expect that.

Team is also full of pricks and no one this season had fun playing against them. Everyone is rooting for us hope we can end their season with an L.

So I did the faster sunday skate again last night with mini, it was fun but I think i need to bow out of it for a few weeks and strengthen my groin. I just can't move the way I want to and I know I'm over stressing it. There's a slower skate next friday that will be better and in the meantime its back to the gym to do all those pervy looking core exercises.

We didnt win.

Was tight thru first 2 periods. We just couldnt keep up in 3rd. Our forwards tried their hardest but we lacked skill up front and they took advantage of that. I think i faced four 2 on 4 rushes our forwards were gassed.

But new season starts this week and im pumped to continue my progress.

We won last night, 4-2. Nothing to really boast about. We just didnt play that great, I somehow managed to get an assist on a goal scored in the 3rd by a teammate that was kicked out two minutes into the game for taking his helmet off when being provoked by a kid that plays for the Long Beach Shredders, a USPHL (elite level) team. This "kid" had no business being in our division.

We won last night, 4-2. Nothing to really boast about. We just didnt play that great, I somehow managed to get an assist on a goal scored in the 3rd by a teammate that was kicked out two minutes into the game for taking his helmet off when being provoked by a kid that plays for the Long Beach Shredders, a USPHL (elite level) team. This "kid" had no business being in our division.
Wait so the scorecard recorded the goal to the kicked out player cuz thats what scorekeepers do? Or he got tossed and pulled a billy valentine and snuck back on the ice? I'm so confused.

Wait so the scorecard recorded the goal to the kicked out player cuz thats what scorekeepers do? Or he got tossed and pulled a billy valentine and snuck back on the ice? I'm so confused.
He got booted a couple minutes into the first period, then was just watching the game in the stands above our bench. Score keepers are an anomaly and stranger things have happened. In fact, the game-misconduct was given to another player on our team that wasn't even on the ice when the skirmish took place. I have no idea how they botched that as bad as they did. The guy that got booted was #22, the guy that got the game misconduct on the scoresheet was #69.

Last edited:
After two consecutive L's, we are back in the winning department. 6-3 win on Wednesday night. I didnt play last week, 11pm game, F that noise. So I felt a little rink-rust and wasnt at my best this week. Was on the ice for two goals, and was responsible for not tying up their sticks which led to each goal, d'oh. I bodied them up but wasnt able to lift their sticks in time before they got their shots off. I think we are 7-3 on the season now, maybe tied for 2nd with another team? The website that keeps the schedule and standings seems to be lacking info on the rest of the leagues games from this week.

Back
Top Bottom