Home Cookin' The BBQ/Smokers/Smoked Meats Thread...

here is the smoker that I am upgrading from an old air compressor tank turned into backyard fireplace.

btw, 15+ years of weather element = rust. unfortunately, there's no sand blaster at work, so an excessive sanding job using 40 grit will do fine.

stay tuned. there still is more work needing to be done.

Any progress?

Meathead is the Man. And yes, you can "over smoke". I add wood chips at the start, and then every hour-hour fifteen for the first 4 hours. Make sure your water dish does not dry up. Good luck and please post pics.
I soak my mesquite chips in bourbon than use them in the smoker. Add's a great flavor and I make sure the bourbon is O.K. before I use it...

custom smoker update.......

trial run #1
535777_10200110419816686_1695273179_n.jpg

a small bundle of charcoal was used. in an hour with all vents opened at the bottom and the top and doors latched shut, the surface was hot to the touch. as I have not bought a temp gauge yet, I placed the oven thermometer on the top rack, and after 30 minutes the temp read 250.

I plan to switch to lump coals and run another test to determine the right amount at the right tempurature before actually using the smoker for good.

custom smoker update.......

trial run #1
535777_10200110419816686_1695273179_n.jpg

a small bundle of charcoal was used. in an hour with all vents opened at the bottom and the top and doors latched shut, the surface was hot to the touch. as I have not bought a temp gauge yet, I placed the oven thermometer on the top rack, and after 30 minutes the temp read 250.

I plan to switch to lump coals and run another test to determine the right amount at the right tempurature before actually using the smoker for good.

A thing of beauty Beerman! I think you have found a second job.

would it make sense to put a metal bowl of water above the charcoal to deflect the heat?

as long as it is big enough to deflect heat to the sides, I think it would be fine

I have the 22.5 weber smoker and I put water in it everytime.

Actually, it looks close to it. Great job.

I just got a smoker for my B day and have been toying with the idea of using a water apple juice mixture in the water tray. Does this make sense ? has anyone done this ?

I just got a smoker for my B day and have been toying with the idea of using a water apple juice mixture in the water tray. Does this make sense ? has anyone done this ?

I have heard that it works.

what kind of a smoker did you get?

anyone know of a good smokers' forum or two for more helpful tips?

I have heard that it works.

what kind of a smoker did you get?

a 30 inch electric. Kind of an mid range starter just to see if I like it. I grill a lot so this should be a nice compliment when I have the time for better quality meat.

481372_10200268915658983_1715690737_n.jpg

a couple of things added to the top.

re: the water pan, I have read that adding anything else other than just water does not make any difference.

481372_10200268915658983_1715690737_n.jpg

a couple of things added to the top.

re: the water pan, I have read that adding anything else other than just water does not make any difference.

In my experience with chamber smokers, adding liquid to the water pan doesn't make a difference in the final product. No need to add a water pan all that will do is burn more fuel heating up the water. But definetly add a heat deflector(I use a pizza pan or a dry water pan) about 2 inches less in diameter than your cooking chamber. Are you using the Maverick for meat and pit temp? Your pit thermometer seems a bit higher than the actual grate, do you find that if it reads 250, the actual cook temp of the grate is lower, say 225?

Did two Butts last Sunday for a party,,AmazingRibs.com is the place, use the Memphisdust and try the sauce recipes too,..

What To Put In The Water Pan And How To Clean It

this site has several different infos for certain smokers like a bullet like mine and an offset.

Love Meatheads site, full of valuable information, I've used his turkey brine recipe for the past 4 years! I agree with several of his points in the link, but I know that the same final product can be achieved without a filled water pan(less prep time, less fuel burned, less cook time, less clean up.) Just trying to save you time.

Last edited:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom