Booze The wine thread

Hey, Von's has a 30% off sale on wine right now. Got La Crema for $18. Might have to buy 6 and save even more. ;)

Last edited:
Von's has been getting a lot of my $$ lately. Great wine sales and selection!

Best Bargain right now is at Trader Joes and stay with me here but.....

Columbia Crest 2009 Cab for 7.99 is a steal. I know its massed produced and what not but the TJs wine pro who is brutally honest(which I totally respect him for) pointed it out to me so I saif WTF and tried it. Was fantastic right out of the bottle....and even better the next day after using a vacuum plug. If only I were making the money now that I made a few years ago this would be case buy all day long.

BevMo 5 cent wine sale...2009 Unruly Red. It's a "red table wine" but is surprisingly good for $12.99 for the first bottle and 5 cents for the second.

Another TJs wine to look at...

2009 Cotes De Duras

Its a French merlot/cab blend and while not a "Big" and not overly fruity certainly a good choice for 3.99 a bottle. If you are not into sweet/fruity/juicy this may be a home run at that price point. And I can not stress enough...the Columbia Crest is the best 7.99 pick you will ever have. My bro said it tasted like a $30 dollar bottle.

I always enjoyed Fess Parker in Disney's Daniel Boone TV series, but who knew I would be drinking his wine on 4/3/2012?

I really hope I enjoy tonight..

" Meursaults and Volnays from Dominique Lafon and the 2009 Pouilly-Fum? vintage of Dagueneau’s bottlings Silex, Pur Sang, Buisson Renard and Blanc"

My wife got a bottle of Evening Land from Seven Springs vinery 2009 Pinot Noir as a gift. Decided to try it out today/tonight. Not really familiar with Pinot Noirs but it's a heck of an introduction. No idea if it's worth whatever they paid for it but a really nice glass so far. Very nice light but lingering flavor

I'm new to wines but can only handle sweet red or white wines like Stella Rosa. I would like to branch out and try better wines. Does anyone have any recommendation?

I'm new to wines but can only handle sweet red or white wines like Stella Rosa. I would like to branch out and try better wines. Does anyone have any recommendation?

If you like sweet wines I look at starting with a Reisling, most are a little sweeter than most white wines and some of the better ones have a lot of fruity flavors. I do suggest you consider looking at ones in the $10 - 15 range rather than the cheaper ones for they are better. Some not found in stores but can be gotten online I can recommend are ones from Fess Parker's in Los Olivos area near Solvang Ca. and Bailey in Temecula Ca. both are nice.

If you live in So Cal you might consider doing some research into these areas and maybe find it worth your time to check out some of the vineyards that have wine tasting and see what you might like.

Also if you look at red wines, make sure they sit at least 20-30 min after opening to breath and balance, it improves the flavor and cuts down on bitter elements.

If you like sweet wines I look at starting with a Reisling, most are a little sweeter than most white wines and some of the better ones have a lot of fruity flavors. I do suggest you consider looking at ones in the $10 - 15 range rather than the cheaper ones for they are better. Some not found in stores but can be gotten online I can recommend are ones from Fess Parker's in Los Olivos area near Solvang Ca. and Bailey in Temecula Ca. both are nice.

If you live in So Cal you might consider doing some research into these areas and maybe find it worth your time to check out some of the vineyards that have wine tasting and see what you might like.

Also if you look at red wines, make sure they sit at least 20-30 min after opening to breath and balance, it improves the flavor and cuts down on bitter elements.

Great advice!! Thank you very much!

Do you have a good wine shop in your area? Here in Long Beach we have The Wine Country for example; they have tastings (different themes) every Saturday, a very knowledgable staff, and a great selection. The tastings are invaluable for anyone looking to expand their palate. The only way to truly find out what you like (and this will most likely evolve over time) is to try lots of wines, and tastings allow you to buy wines without most of the unknowns inherent in a blind purchase or verbal recommendation.

Best of luck with your quest, it can lead to a lifetime of enjoyment - there is always more to learn.

get

Attended the Zinfandel tasting at The Wine Country this past Saturday and couldn't get out of the place without buying a bottle of the Brown 2009 Zinfandel.

If you're into zins and get a chance to try it, do yourself a favor.

Back from the world of whites it seems that the unfiltered chardonnay's are all the rage up here in Napa right now. Lots of people are enjoying them and to be honest the one's I've had so far are pretty decent although expensive considering the premium that you already pay for being in Napa. Basically been seeing $30-50 a bottle depending on how many you want to buy and what club you are a member of.

Got a few bottles of this last weekend up in Paso Robles. Fantastic wine.
Jackal2010web.jpg

All I drink is Pinot Noir and I am totally into anything from around Santa Rita Hills. Also love Sonoma wines, especially Russian River Valley. The further north you go, the more earthy the wine seems to be. I like the Santa Barbara/Santa Rita wines because they are very "fruit forward".

What wines do you recommend?

Here are some good Von's wines, most you can get cheaper if you catch them on sale (like now 30% off).
ALL are Pinot Noir. I have done LOTS of research! ;)

Under $10 - Mark West
$10-20 - La Crema or Byron
$20-30 - Fess Parker or Sobriquet
$30 - $35 - Gary Farrell or Sonoma-Cutrer

Wine tastings are great because you get a nice sample of 6-10 wines and can weigh them against each other. The Wine Crush in Long Beach is within spitting distance from my house and see plenty of my money. (Since I'm in their Pinor Noir club I get the tastings for $15 instead of $20!)

some terrific Cali SBs are:

Bevan
Spottswoode

great cabs for the price:

Paul Hobbs Crossbarn
Faust
Vineyard 29 CRU
Chappellet Signature

all in thw 40-50 range.

Back
Top Bottom