Booze The wine thread

For those looking for some nice wines in the under $20 range I have really enjoyed the Cab, Merlot & Zin from Joel Gott. They are on par with ones I have had costing twice as much.
Wines | Joel Gott Wines

Bevmo as well as my local Vons carries them.

Picked up a kirkland pino made from carneros grapes for 10 at costco. Wife really liked it.

French student gave me a bottle of Medoc, Fontagnac 2008. Decided to open it tonight with some steaks. So far the cocktail glass I'm having is very strange. It starts off with a completely buttery flavor and then is immediately followed by a very subdued but strong barrel flavor. I've never sampled wines from Bordeaux before so I don't know if this is typical of the region but it is quite pleasing to drink.

The wifey and I had brunch at the Langham in Pasadena on Thanksgiving, and the sparkling wine they used was pretty darn good, Kenwood Brut. Had a nice biscuit flavor and very subtle sweetness. Similar to a Schramsburg brut. The bonus, no headache from it.

Remember, small bubbles are good, big bubbles are bad, and no bubble are even worse

"State law prohibits for-profit businesses from using volunteers."
So what does this mean about interns? This has larger implications than just wine making. Any business that uses interns could potentially pay fines for the labor they wanted to work and offered for free. Not that anyone is asking my opinion, but I see this as a money grab by the State because they've exhausted other avenues to squeeze the taxpayers.

So lame...

We love the 128. If you ever have a chance to sample it, the Penfolds Grange is just amazing. Not worth the $700, but a fantastic wine to be sure. The bin 707 is also top notch.

Me too; the first bottle; not so good. I'm hoping as it matures it mellows out a bit. Gap's Crown vineyard provides top notch fruit, so hopefully the winemaker knows what he's doing.

This has always intrigued me. My wife loves Perrier Jouet Cuve Bel Epoc. The bottle runs about $120ish and I've seen it for under $100 at different places, so it's a little on the pricey side for 750ml. So the thing I don't get is that a magnum 1.5L is $350. Why the hell would I spend over $100 more for the same amount of champagne? They should at least have it be on par with $/ml, because this is recockulous.

Larger format bottles age more slowly (and subsequently, more gently) than their standard format counterparts. Think of it this way; aging is the result of the slow aeration that takes place through the cork. There is twice as much liquid to influence in a 1.5 versus a .750. Thus, it ages more slowly and gently, peaking at a later date. Not sure how this impacts sparkling wines though.

If anybody comes across a pinot or cab made with carneros grapes, pls shoot me a pm. costco had an acascia pinot on sale, tried it went back and all gone. oh well.

Domaine Carneros' Famous Gate is fantastic.

I've done the wine-tasting thing in Napa/Sonoma. It's fun, it's a pretty area, and there's some great wineries there for sure. But DAMN are they full of themselves!! $35 for a five-wine flight and they typically don't waive that if you buy a couple bottles! Even so, I've got some favorite wineries up there that I've visited: Nicholson Ranch, Acacia, Merryvale, Beaulieu, and Alpha Omega.

If you want a REALLY fun wine trip on a budget, make a drive to Lodi or Clarksburg. They both have AMAZINGLY GOOD wineries and they're WAY more down-to-Earth than the folks in N/S. Check out the Tempranillo and Petite Sirah from Harney Lane, the Syrah from Berghold (Footstomp, I think it's called), and the Old Ghost from Klinker Brick (tough to say when you're nackered), which is hands-down my FAVORITE red wine, let alone OVZ. It's available at TW. GET SOME.

Clarksburg is the home of Bogle, and they've got a great petite Sirah port they make.

But what about local around the L.A. area? Anyone got any tips on good places to taste? We like actual winery/estate tasting rooms, rather than wine bars.

As you may know, we now live in the Bay Area. Next time you come up, be our guest. We'll take you to some places that will knock your socks off and are as down to earth as you and I. Oh, in So Cal, you have to check out Hi Time in Costa Mesa. LOVE that place.

All I know is that my wife belongs to a Wine Club and I have not had a sip.

Larger format bottles age more slowly (and subsequently, more gently) than their standard format counterparts. Think of it this way; aging is the result of the slow aeration that takes place through the cork. There is twice as much liquid to influence in a 1.5 versus a .750. Thus, it ages more slowly and gently, peaking at a later date. Not sure how this impacts sparkling wines though.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about, so I'll buy it as a reason.

After we get to AZ again, we plan to check that place out as well as one just West of Sedona long the Verde River valley called Alcantara Vineyards. AZ wine is coming on in a big way!

Not sure if they will have any Vino del Barrio left since they only produced about 900 cases, but if they do pick some up. A great tasting red.

And if you have some extra time in AZ, check out Caduceus. https://caduceus.org I think they are a little pricey but worth it. On a side note, this winery is owned by Maynard James Keenan.

I am trying out for the Super Bowl Sunday a Sangria recipe I got off one of the Food Network shows featuring Geoffrey Zakarian.
2 bottles of Beaujolais wine
1 cup Gran Marnier
1/4 cup St. Germain
1/2 bottle Cava (spanish sparkling wine) Chill and add before serving.
1 cup Peaches
1 cup Brandied Cherries
1 cup fresh Rasberries
Zest of 1 Lemon

Mix the Beaujolais and other ingredients and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Add the Cava before serving and mix.
Pour over Ice in glass with either fresh Mint or Basil leaves.

Bronco Wine, Ralph Clark. He is a huge Kings fan. PM me if you want his cell number, plus a great guy

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom