Thoughts on the Team at 11 games - Mid Season Update

Good callouts. I agree with the Copely comment. I think it came down to Blake not wanting to risk losing him (if placed on waivers) and lack of payroll to bring up Rittich without sending Copely down.

In regards to PLD, I think some of it is him getting a wake up call but much of it is due to Hiller balancing the top 3 lines and giving PLD a solid winger (either Kempe or Byfield). His commitment to team play has definitely increased as well, as has his PP opportunities.

I also agree when it comes to Byfield. He has been our past forward over the last several games and has shown he is productive no matter who is put on a line with.

I also want to call out Turcotte. He has been getting very few minutes (3 minutes a couple games ago and 5 today) but has shown a lot with the minutes he has been given. Given Turcotte a decent winger and he will do big things (provided he is able to stay healthy).
yeah i want to clarify that i do like turcotte, and i think there's potential there. I think Lizotte is better suited to a 4th line role, and obviously brings a bit more experience and tenacity that id like to have in the playoffs. I do want Turcotte with the team though, even if he's playing wing, or potentially if they move lizotte to wing (which ive advocated for in the past, but doubt will happen).

As for PLD, i dont think there's anything that coach has done, or can do, that is prerequisite to PL impacting the game in some fashion. I dont think he needs to accumulate points to help the team. My biggest concern at teh 10 game mark, was my biggest concern prior to mcclellan getting let go. PL seems to only decide to play hard when he's not pouting. Move your feet. Check. Get involved somehow. He's doing those things now, and lo and behold (as coach mclellan has been preaching for years) he's being rewarded.

yeah i want to clarify that i do like turcotte, and i think there's potential there. I think Lizotte is better suited to a 4th line role, and obviously brings a bit more experience and tenacity that id like to have in the playoffs. I do want Turcotte with the team though, even if he's playing wing, or potentially if they move lizotte to wing (which ive advocated for in the past, but doubt will happen).

As for PLD, i dont think there's anything that coach has done, or can do, that is prerequisite to PL impacting the game in some fashion. I dont think he needs to accumulate points to help the team. My biggest concern at teh 10 game mark, was my biggest concern prior to mcclellan getting let go. PL seems to only decide to play hard when he's not pouting. Move your feet. Check. Get involved somehow. He's doing those things now, and lo and behold (as coach mclellan has been preaching for years) he's being rewarded.
Totally agree on Lizotte, he's much better suited for the 4th line role than Turcotte. There was a quote from earlier in the year in which it was said (something along the lines of) "how can you not play a player with so much talent" aligned to Turcotte which I agree with. I just want him in the game, even if he has to put in time on the 4th line for the time being to do so. I don't know how much good being given 3-5 minutes per game though really does for him.

100% agree with your comments on PLD - he seems to be that guy who the coaches always need to keep happy in order for him to perform. Long term that can't be successful so hopefully he matures heavily over the next 1-2 years and becomes the player we know he is capable of.

There's a lot of good stuff here & I agree with most, if not all of it. With our goaltending, if we were going to go Dollar Store, I wished we used them a little more evenly instead of riding Talbot until he's done & now doing the same with Rittich. Part of it was Copley didn't have it at the start but then maybe we should've gone with Talbot & Rittich & leave sentiment out of it.
late reply, but i was reading this today and had some thoughts...

I was definitely concerned about wearing talbot out with his hot start to the season. Looking back on it now, im sure that could have had an effect, but i think the more important issue was that the team was playing poorly in front of him. The Kings started the season blistering, and i think that helped make talbot look a bit better than he is. I dont really think talbot, or rittich, or copley are guys that are likely to really stand on their head. They arent top flight. They aren't prime Quick. The kings need to be solid and predictable in tehir own zone for our goalies to thrive. If our team plays well, our goalies usually also do well, and i dont think it's a vice versa type situation. How many games can you think of where one of our goalies stole a game this season? TBH, i cant remember even one game (maybe rittich right before McClellan was fired), although i wouldnt be surprised if there were maybe a couple.

Back
Top Bottom