2022 Offseason Thread

HeadInjury

2 Late to Change My Name
Let's get to work.

This looks to be one of the more significant offseasons in recent years. While the team's future is looking up, so too are the other Pacific teams that made the playoffs. Plus Vegas and Vancouver will presumably be in the mix next year. It may prove even harder to make the playoffs next season.

With Brown retiring, we gain $5.8 million in cap space, but Petersen's new contract will take up a little over $4 million of that. Carter's salary retention is off the books, providing about $2.6 million in relief. (After one more offseason, we will gain another $1.25 million as the Phanuef buyout ends and the Richards settlement drops a bit.)

UFAs:

AA:
$2.7 million​
Edler:
$3.5 million​
Maataa:
$3.33 million​
Stecher:
$1.7 million​
Strand:
$771,000​

They each had their moments, particularly Maatta, but I think they are all gone. With Anderson and presumably Bjornfot on LD and an upgrade needed, I think we pass on Maatta, particularly since he should be seeking a multi-year deal. Also, when you look at our RD depth, Durzi may start next season as our 7th-defenseman, and we have to have a roster spot for him as he is not waiver exempt.

RFA Forwards

Kempe:
$2 million​
Grundstrom:
$725,000​
Lemieux:
$1.55 million​
Andersson:
$874,000​
Vilardi:
$894,000​
JAD:
$747,000​

Obviously, Kempe is the big one here, probably getting a new contract in the $5.5 to $6 million range. Grundstrom will get a bump up, but the rest I think just get qualified. Including JAD here as he, like Vilardi, will no longer be waiver exempt.

RFA Defensemen

Anderson:
$925,000​
Durzi:
$809,000​
Moverare:
$750,000​

There will be a big increase for Anderson. I doubt Durzi gets as big a raise as some think, given the depth on the right side and the fact the Kings can just wait him out in negotiations.

With Doughty, Arvidsson and Walker (at least temporarily) back in the mix, with Brown gone (huge drop off this year), with Byfield getting another offseason and training camp under his belt, and with Clarke probably coming in, the roster should be better. Trade some assets for a solid LD and add a forward via free agency, and it should be a fun team to watch.

They won't do anything with Todd, but Trotz is available right now. Just saying.

I think fixing the back end will help the penalty kill, but the power play killed us this year and everything about it needs to be changed.

This summer will define Blake's tenure as GM, for better or worse. He's done a great job so far, with restocking the pipeline, and the RV trade and Danault signing were absolute home runs. Now, decisions have to be made. Some will be easier than others. Edler will walk. Played well, and was steady when needed, but he's 36. I could see Stecher or Maatta being retained, for depth if nothing else. Of course Durzi and Anderson will be resigned, though I could see Durzi as trade bait. His stock is still quite high. Some of the RFA might be signed and then traded as well. It will be a very interesting summer for sure!

I see Maataa coming back on a reduced salary. His big knock has always been lack of speed but he did quite well all season and was one of our stronger defenders in the postseason. At worst he becomes a depth LD (though we could resign Moverare for that), but he really deserves a roster spot imo. Stetcher I'd like to see back too but we are loaded at RD so it's very unlikely unless we package a few players out in a trade.

I'd also like to see the Kings test the market with Cal and go all in on Quick next season. $10.8m in goalies seems like too much when the money could be spent better elsewhere.

I agree on the all in on Quick for next season. Clearly, he still has a lot left in the tank. I am not much on Petersen over the long haul of an entire season. He has shown glimpses of being very good but also the other way. Would not mind seeing what Villalta can do at the NHL level or perhaps trade for a backup with Petersen going the other way.

Interestingly, Blake was a big, strong, physical defensemen although he didn’t play an in your face type of game with the rough stuff until after his first tenure with the Kings. I think he understands that this team needs some of their players who are on the ice for 20+ minutes a night to be physical and tough. They need a couple of guys who are top six forwards who are tough and leaders.

They need to dangle a couple of their top picks like Byfield, Clarke and Turcotte like we did with Jack Johnson and Brayden Schenn to bring in Richards and Carter for the cups.

All I know is Quick is retiring with Kings or Kings are insane. Kopitar needs to be 2c or 3c, Iafallo/Edler/AA can all please walk. Need some big confident D, and some kids to step up into their roles.

I don't see Blake making a big move this offseason. Remember this team just went to Game 7 without their best defensemen and one of their top wingers. Assuming Doughty and Arvidsson are healthy next season I just find it hard to believe Blake will stick his neck out to make a big splash when he's already put together a hell of squad with a pipeline full of future NHLers working their way up.

Personally I would cut bait on Maata and see if we can get Edler back for one more season. Move Sean Walker and explore a trade for a left shot, big, physical who can either play with Doughty or carry the 2nd pairing. Essentially a Jake Muzzin. Chychrun isn't that type of player but he does have a bit more offensive chops that Muzz. Not nearly as physical but I'm sure he would work next to Doughty or would be a great 2nd pairing anchor.

I have a feeling… based on nothing… but a feeling nonetheless that Kempe will be part of the deal that brings the #1 LD to the team. Then Blake will target Forsberg.

Juice would flourish on several more talented Eastern teams.

The game Kempe plays seems to make him an odd man out on the Kings… especially in having to slow down his game to play with Kopitar and Iafallo. Imagine what Kempe’s assist numbers could have been if he played with guys who could finish.

Including Kempe in a trade would allow Blake to hold onto a younger player or two… which is what a rebuild is all about.

Kopitar on a 2 year deal for 10AAV but only 14 million total salary has to have some eastern GMs intrigued.

The litany of Kings' players that have increased production after leaving over the past 5 years is almost iron clad. Look at Jeff Carter for a laugh, he was D.O.A. But there are a dozen others. There's no reason to think Kopi wouldn't be able to easily revitalize for 2 years in the east.

I just wonder what a GM would give up? For 2 years and the potential to revert to his old self, I think that's a huge piece on the right team. Toronto.

I think we can find a younger established center to play 1a 1b with Danny.

Any Kings going to the World Championships or the Reign?

None of Byfield, Spence, Kupari or Vilardi are playing tonight for the Reign. Supposedly, if the Reign win tonight, a decision will be made tomorrow about whether to add any of these guys.

Look at Jeff Carter for a laugh, he was D.O.A.

Since the trade to Pittsburgh and the immediate and obvious turnaround in Carter's play, I have wondered what made Jeff quit on the Kings.

He came back strong after returning from the tendon surgery. But the next two years he showed next to nothing when he was mostly healthy.

Mystery...

I have a feeling? based on nothing? but a feeling nonetheless that Kempe will be part of the deal that brings the #1 LD to the team. Then Blake will target Forsberg.

Juice would flourish on several more talented Eastern teams.

The game Kempe plays seems to make him an odd man out on the Kings? especially in having to slow down his game to play with Kopitar and Iafallo. Imagine what Kempe?s assist numbers could have been if he played with guys who could finish.

Including Kempe in a trade would allow Blake to hold onto a younger player or two? which is what a rebuild is all about.

You may be right, but I really hope you are wrong. Kempe fits the "new Kings" game well and will look even better with faster linemates next season such as Danault, Byfield, Kupari or Turcotte. I know Todd was trying to balance lines all season, but it really did hold Kempe and a few others back in doing so as they could not properly utilize their speed, except typically on breakaways. There is also something to be said for retaining home grown talent.

It may come down to how much money Kempe wants in order to re-up with the Kings.

Since the trade to Pittsburgh and the immediate and obvious turnaround in Carter's play, I have wondered what made Jeff quit on the Kings.

He came back strong after returning from the tendon surgery. But the next two years he showed next to nothing when he was mostly healthy.

Mystery...

The Kings were a bad team the past 5 years and a lot of the guys moved to the east. It is very different hockey, more open + offensive. For those two reasons it makes sense the virtually all players traded away by the Kings over the past 5 years have either gone on to improve, maintain level for longer than expected, or revitalize winding down careers. For 2 years I think Kopi would have very interesting value heading to a team like Toronto, Buffalo, Devils, Islanders...

Guys traded (or left) away who have continued / improved success

Toffoli
Pearson
Martinez
Muzzin
Campbell
Carter
Forbort
even Clifford is somehow still sticking around.

You may be right, but I really hope you are wrong. Kempe fits the "new Kings" game well and will look even better with faster linemates next season such as Danault, Byfield, Kupari or Turcotte. I know Todd was trying to balance lines all season, but it really did hold Kempe and a few others back in doing so as they could not properly utilize their speed, except typically on breakaways. There is also something to be said for retaining home grown talent.

It may come down to how much money Kempe wants in order to re-up with the Kings.

As long as Kopitar is 1C, Kempe will be held back. McLellan showed his problematic devotion to “honored” veterans by not healthy scratching Brown. I can’t see him playing Kopi at 3C although that seems to be where Anze belongs at this point.

And the money the Kings would save on Kempe’s next contract would be needed to sign Forsberg or an equivalent UFA scoring forward.

It just seems to be the most obvious path to get that LD in a hockey trade. Juice and a first would be a good place to start.

The Kings were a bad team the past 5 years and a lot of the guys moved to the east. It is very different hockey, more open + offensive. For those two reasons it makes sense the virtually all players traded away by the Kings over the past 5 years have either gone on to improve, maintain level for longer than expected, or revitalize winding down careers. For 2 years I think Kopi would have very interesting value heading to a team like Toronto, Buffalo, Devils, Islanders...

Guys traded (or left) away who have continued / improved success

Toffoli
Pearson
Martinez
Muzzin
Campbell
Carter
Forbort
even Clifford is somehow still sticking around.

None of the players you have cited have experienced as great a turnaround as Carter.

There was something else going on here in L.A. with a player of Carter’s talents. He just shut down his last season and a half here.

Hidden injury? Disagreements with coaching staff? Problems with management?

Carter became a different player in his very first game with a Pittsburgh.

Imagine being Byfield , Vilardi , Spence and Kupari . Watched on the sidelines as the NHL team lost and also watched as the AHL team lost to Colorado ina sweep. This is some messed up development by the management . While people wonder why our prospects don’t do ****.

None of the players you have cited have experienced as great a turnaround as Carter.

There was something else going on here in L.A. with a player of Carter’s talents. He just shut down his last season and a half here.

Hidden injury? Disagreements with coaching staff? Problems with management?

Carter became a different player in his very first game with a Pittsburgh.

Remember that the hockey world was ready for Jeff to hang them up when he was struggling here. For two full seasons/offseasons he was asked about retiring because of his declining play and the impact it would have on the Kings cap situation. I wonder if Jeff re-discovered his love for the game once he left LA and realized he wasn't ready to be sent out to the pasture just yet. Management and coaching isn't to blame for a player like Jeff Carter giving up on puck battles and refusing to go to the tough part of the ice to score. That's internal.

Let's get to work.
With Brown retiring, we gain $5.8 million in cap space, but Petersen's new contract will take up a little over $4 million of that. Carter's salary retention is off the books, providing about $2.6 million in relief. (After one more offseason, we will gain another $1.25 million as the Phanuef buyout ends and the Richards settlement drops a bit.)

You missed that along with Peterson, Lizotte's new contract sets in for an additional 900,000. So Brown leaving is mostly a wash with Peterson and Lizotte (assuming we keep them).

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back