2023 Trade Deadline Thread

HeadInjury

2 Late to Change My Name
Thought a general thread on the trade deadline makes sense at this point.

Per LeBrun, Edmonton is trading Puljujarvi to Carolina, which I assume is a precursor for the Oilers trading for a defenseman, either Chychrun or Ekholm. Hopefully Edmundson.

Coyotes definitely backed themselves in a corner by benching Chychrun so early and allowing many other dominos to fall already.

But if you look at some of the returns on trades this deadline it still is going to take a fortune to trade for him, even if you only have 2-3 teams bidding against each other. And the Yotes still have leverage to move him in the offseason, they are in no hurry with his contract situation as it is. It's not unfathomable that he doesn't get moved.

Trades across all sports leagues are HEAVILY trending to value proven players over prospects. "Whoever gets the best player wins the deal" has never been more apparent with recent trade returns showing teams willing to give up LOTS of assets for proven talent.

At minimum it's going to take something like 2023 1st, Spence, Pinelli, and another quality asset as well. A 2nd rounder or a protected 1st. Pinelli has a lot of value, he's about the only guy the Kings can "sell high" on at this point, Chromiak is up there too.

Thought a general thread on the trade deadline makes sense at this point.

Per LeBrun, Edmonton is trading Puljujarvi to Carolina, which I assume is a precursor for the Oilers trading for a defenseman, either Chychrun or Ekholm. Hopefully Edmundson.

If Mattias Ekholm is available, I would love Blake to take a swing for that one. Much more than Chychrun. Veteran w/ playoff experience, size, left-handed to add to the blueline. He immediately will improve our PK and 2nd-pairing with Durzi AND could make a formidable top-pairing with Doughty when things are on the line. He plays 20+ minutes and for everyone who's been saying we need a Mitchell, Scuderi, Regehr-type player. He checks all those boxes and more. He'd also ensure Edler's gone next season, and would be an improvement as another veteran to help teach these kids (if management finally gives them more of a chance in the big league).

Unfortunately, due to cap reasons, there will need to be a roster player (or two) to go the other way. Not sure who Nashville would want that costs that. But the Preds are supposedly retooling rather than rebuilding. Also, if Blake looks around, he doesn't HAVE to only trade this year's picks. It could offer other years' picks which I'm seeing quite a bit of. (A lot of combinations draft pick-wise I'm seeing)

It will be nice when the trade deadline passes. I can get back to work as I have been sitting out for as long as Chychrun.

Dreger says AZ talking with EDM about Chychrun and NSH about Ekholm. Also CLB for Gavrikov but that’s “plan c.” Will need more space for Ekholm. Really don’t like the Chychrun news for them but doesn’t surprise me they’re pushing for it.

Kings apparently interested in Eckholm as well but unsure if Nashville will eat any of the salary needed to get him under the cap. I do wonder if the Moore injury will become LTIR to free up additional space.

Kings apparently interested in Eckholm as well but unsure if Nashville will eat any of the salary needed to get him under the cap. I do wonder if the Moore injury will become LTIR to free up additional space.

Eckholm would be a nice ad. Forsberg too while were at it....

It's official

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2023/02/rangers-blackhawks-make-kane-deal.html

As expected the New York Rangers have acquired Patrick Kane from the Chicago Blackhawks. Kane essentially had a one-team trade list, so the return for one of the all-time greats in Blackhawks' history was underwhelming

The Rangers sent the Blackhawks a 2023 conditional second-round pick, and a 2023 fourth-round pick. The second in 2023 conditions is, that it can become a first if the Blackhawks make the conference finals. This trade also required a third team to make it work, which is believed to be the Arizona Coyotes.

Kane, 34, is a Blackhawks legend, who wanted to play with the Rangers and was very vocal about that. After this trade, he gets his wish to play in New York alongside one of his best friends; Artemi Panarin.

Patty costing a 2nd and 4th is insane. But he had all the leverage and Chi was bent over a barrel. East is stacked.

We’ll see what the third team in gets since they had to take on some salary to make this work. It’s reportedly AZ.

But yeah it’s like the Giroux deal last year, except even then PHI got Tippet and 1st. Pretty good haul considering they only had one option too.

EDIT: it’s a 3rd in 2025. AZ pays 25% of Kane’s contract.

Last edited:
If the Leafs and Oilers are both in on Chychrun: The Yotes will get a ransom. Both teams desparate to win now.

Yup. They may have played this perfectly. Maybe we should have just taken Sandin and been done with it.

I don't think Toronto has enough assets for Chychrun. Oilers overpaying for him makes some sense as they have to get something going before McDavid starts wanting out.

Columbus is scratching goaltender Joonas Korpisalo for trade related reasons.

Talks intensifying between EDM and NSH for Ekholm per Friedman.

Just don’t land Gavrikov Kings. Don’t be that team.

Back