Black puck trail... when did this start again?

A

aragorn

Lurker
The old fox glowpuck has been chastised as one of the worst things the NHL ever came up with. Tonight I see the power play has a black trail following the puck. How long has this been going on? Is it only Kings/Ducks or is it NHL-wide? It's as bad and annoying as it ever was.

I actually think it's not too bad. Way better than the Fox version. I don't necessarily need it, but I think it makes it a little easier to follow the puck.

The best thing about the old Fox version is that you could see it through the near boards. They should have just used it for that and gotten rid of all the other BS.

Please no. We've have already had to train our brains this season to ignore the electronic advertising and now this. I couldn't stand the OT. It was making me dizzy. Ugh.

Last edited:
The tracer / name plates that Ballys uses SUCKS THE BIG ONE. Replays are okay - but on power plays and the ENTIRE OVERTIME period is garbage.

NO LIVE ACTION TRACERS / NAMES. Now - get off my lawn

I did notice it but I don't think the new version is as bad as the original.

I actually kind of like it. It helps when I'm watching on my iPad. Doesn't bother me either way on my 85" home tv.

I hate it. The graphics often obscure the play away from the puck. The puck tracer line stays on the screen too long and the name plates are just dumb. Too much effort is being wasted on “newbies”. Hockey is never going to be as popular as the other 3 major sports, but the fan base is generally more knowledgeable. Stop pandering to the casual viewer.

I actually want to write a letter to someone explaining how much this sucks. Specifically the nameplates that pop up and out randomly. I have the ink and quill but alas, no carrier pigeon, so naught shalt I know what to do to abolish these heathanisms!

I hate it. The graphics often obscure the play away from the puck. The puck tracer line stays on the screen too long and the name plates are just dumb. Too much effort is being wasted on “newbies”. Hockey is never going to be as popular as the other 3 major sports, but the fan base is generally more knowledgeable. Stop pandering to the casual viewer.

Agreed. I learned to follow the puck and the player's names/numbers when I started watching when I was around 8. Neither of these things will get someone to like hockey if they don't.

Last edited:
Boy the black swishes really made overtime hard to watch. The only thing more annoying is how utterly bad the Kings are at 3-3. If they had it in the playoffs it would be a 4-game sweep against us.

Maybe they're trying to Showcase their technology as Bally's is a dumpster Network and trying to offload

I don’t mind it all that much, but I actually do like it when a shot gets blasted from the point and ends up careening around in a massive scrum in front of the net. Or takes a severe change of direction after hitting the post. Aside from that, I have zero issue following the puck during regular play, and it doesn’t bother me either way.

As for when it came about, the kings have introduced it within the last two or three broadcasts, but the ducks have been using it on PowerPlay and penalty kill for the majority of the season I believe. Yes, I confess, I watch the occasional ducks game because sometimes it’s fun to watch stress-free hockey, and I can thoroughly enjoy just how miserable that team is right now!

I watch the occasional ducks game

giphy.gif

Not enough animated robots that become hockey sticks or whatever that weird stuff was on Fox.

Honestly, have never had a hard time following the puck while watching on TV and don’t understand people who do. Not enough contrast between the puck and ice?

While its better than the Glow nonsense from Fox (wow, had forgotten about that!) I still hate it for live stuff. I dont mind it for replays at all actually.

I actually kind of like it. It helps when I'm watching on my iPad. Doesn't bother me either way on my 85" home tv.

I think [MENTION=14984]Kurisu[/MENTION] might be onto the main reasoning behind it: watching games on tablets or phones. I never would, but then I'm not part of Gen-Z, where it seems if they can't watch it on their phones, they're not interested. The league keeps looking for ways to accommodate newer / younger viewers, so we purists may be stuck with this abomination. IMO, it blows chunky chunks, but it's a law of physics that the universe changes.

I think [MENTION=14984]Kurisu[/MENTION] might be onto the main reasoning behind it: watching games on tablets or phones. I never would, but then I'm not part of Gen-Z, where it seems if they can't watch it on their phones, they're not interested. The league keeps looking for ways to accommodate newer / younger viewers, so we purists may be stuck with this abomination. IMO, it blows chunky chunks, but it's a law of physics that the universe changes.

I was just camping this past weekend and watched the two games, from my phone, at the campfire. Not a Gen Z, but a millennial. Getting a kick out of your post.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back