Black puck trail... when did this start again?

I hate it too. Jim Fox said to tweet @ballysportwest (not ballysportswest) with comments.

Sometimes it looks like Jim Fox's signature.

jim-fox-autographed-hockey-card-los-angeles-kings-1988-topps-number-139_ss2_p-10461790+u-dggyguwkeu7tqsvh3agj+v-1820552811324fb7811763f1a99877c9.jpg

It's the whole experience of watching a game on TV that sucks. From least to most annoying: digital ads placed on the glass, flashing ads on the boards, banners with players names on the power plays, puck trails. Makes the real games look like video games. I have nothing whatever against video games, but when I watch a live game on TV, I want it to look as much like what the fans in the arena see as possible. If I wanted to play video games, I would buy video games.
Oh well, sports are the only reason I have cable. My mistake. Next year it's ESPN+ and live Kings games on the radio. I'll save at least $100 per month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sucks. I'm sick of watching the little sperm fly across the screen...

I was just camping this past weekend and watched the two games, from my phone, at the campfire. Not a Gen Z, but a millennial. Getting a kick out of your post.

I work nights and watch a lot of games at my desk on the iPad. I don't mind it much there. Even on the big tv at home I actually like it on replays and special teams stuff.

If it was all game it would bug for sure. I get the traditionalist takes and can appreciate the purists, but I think this version is subtle enough to be useful compared to that old version that was a total distraction.

Not a fan of it. At times I think its a broken stick.

I was just about to say this. Watching last night's game, I thought a player broke a stick and it got kicked around for a moment.

Not a fan of it. At times I think its a broken stick.

Yes. It looks like broken sticks are flying all over the ice. On Arvidsson goal I couldn't see the puck go in because the tracer. The nameplates are just straight up distracting and completely devoid of purpose IMO. The player's have numbers on their jersey's, and there are announcers. Completely unnecessary. Get rid of both!

Last edited:
(@mayorNHL)"Interest TV tidbit... Hearing that live puck tracking is going away on Kings broadcasts as early as tonight. Sounds like LA brass decided they wanted it only on replays and shoulder programs - not during live action."

(@mayorNHL)"Interest TV tidbit... Hearing that live puck tracking is going away on Kings broadcasts as early as tonight. Sounds like LA brass decided they wanted it only on replays and shoulder programs - not during live action."

BoringDamagedIbizanhound-size_restricted.gif

Good.

I don't like it either. But I figure whatever happens with Bally's, Kings broadcasts are probably going to Apple TV or some other streaming service soon and I won't get with my Directv subscription anyway to complain about it.

mr-rogers-gotta-go.gif

Well, it definitely won't be there tonight...

Thank God! It was actually harder to follow the action with all those broken sticks. The technology is certainly better than before... the tails are much tighter to the puck. On replays it might be useable if they would shorten the tails by 2/3s. But during the live action it is a big headache to watch.

I don't like it either. But I figure whatever happens with Bally's, Kings broadcasts are probably going to Apple TV or some other streaming service soon and I won't get with my Directv subscription anyway to complain about it.

apple tv lol

Back