Brandt Clarke left off of World Jrs Roster

Wow... does this decision imply that he plays no defense?

Wow... does this decision imply that he plays no defense?

That's what I was going to say - has to be an indictment on him playing a complete game. Would've liked to have watched him, but a) there's a lot of talent here to be picked for that team and b) hopefully he uses it as fuel to get to that next level.

This sure looks like and indictment of the Kings ability to select talent. Kings have to hit on a First round pick eventually right?

For all of the noise I hear about how great the farm is it sure does not give me much hope when stuff like this happens.

All I hear from Blake is silence or excuses. He really has to go.

This sure looks like and indictment of the Kings ability to select talent. Kings have to hit on a First round pick eventually right?

For all of the noise I hear about how great the farm is it sure does not give me much hope when stuff like this happens.

All I hear from Blake is silence or excuses. He really has to go.

What about all the kids that played in the World Juniors recently that are either Kings prospects or have actually played for the Kings? If they were good enough to play then Blake must have done something right. Maybe the scouting staff has to go?

Honestly the omission of Clarke feels more like a personal decision by those who selected the team than any indication of Clarke's talent, or lack of a complete game. Makes me wonder how he is off the ice.

Honestly the omission of Clarke feels more like a personal decision by those who selected the team than any indication of Clarke's talent, or lack of a complete game. Makes me wonder how he is off the ice.
He was just named team captain and I haven't heard a peep anywhere about him being anything but a solid guy.

It's not just that he's not on the roster, he wasn't invited to camp to try out! A lot of Canadian media are up in arms about leaving him off the camp invites with him being perceived as a "lock" for the team by many prior to this decision. I mean he's leading all OHL defensemen in scoring. In addition, the weak spot on Canada is considered to be the right side of their D, and that's with him. But hardly the first of team Canada's weird roster decisions - in prior years they left off Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, Nugent-Hopkins, Darnell Nurse, Jacob Chychrun. No one is going to care if Canada wins gold, but if they don't, they'll get raked over the coals.

I'm bummed we won't get to watch him play, but we will still get to watch Faber, Chromiak, Saimontaval, Kirasanov, Helenius, and Grans.

A person on the LGK Facebook page just posted an opinion that the snub was an act of retribution because the Kings would not make Byfield available for the WJC.

Does that make sense?

A person on the LGK Facebook page just posted an opinion that the snub was an act of retribution because the Kings would not make Byfield available for the WJC.

Does that make sense?
Zero. NHL-level players are never made available for WJC by any NHL team, if nothing else. Byfield is expected to be in the Kings lineup after his rehab stint in the NHL, right when the WJC will be going on.

He was just named team captain and I haven't heard a peep anywhere about him being anything but a solid guy.

It's not just that he's not on the roster, he wasn't invited to camp to try out! A lot of Canadian media are up in arms about leaving him off the camp invites with him being perceived as a "lock" for the team by many prior to this decision. I mean he's leading all OHL defensemen in scoring. In addition, the weak spot on Canada is considered to be the right side of their D, and that's with him. But hardly the first of team Canada's weird roster decisions - in prior years they left off Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, Nugent-Hopkins, Darnell Nurse, Jacob Chychrun. No one is going to care if Canada wins gold, but if they don't, they'll get raked over the coals.

I'm bummed we won't get to watch him play, but we will still get to watch Faber, Chromiak, Saimontaval, Kirasanov, Helenius, and Grans.

Totally agree and great post! Really odd to think Canada projects to have all left handed defensive lineup.

Thought this video was pretty on point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COTFz_W9AV8

Stupid move by the Team Canada brass. Hopefully they get silver or lower again this year.

Makes me remember how small the circle is for the Team Canada coordinators, it's great when you're the chosen ones, not so great otherwise.

Just in case no one saw - he once again did not make the roster, despite being at camp. I suppose the likelihood of someone losing their spot was low, but either way, Canada doesn't see him as one of the 8 best they can take (or feel they have someone who does what he does, only better)

Just in case no one saw - he once again did not make the roster, despite being at camp. I suppose the likelihood of someone losing their spot was low, but either way, Canada doesn't see him as one of the 8 best they can take (or feel they have someone who does what he does, only better)
They did replace two players, but he was not one of the replacements. However, this was not a second camp for the '22 championship; the camp was for the '23 WJC.

They did replace two players, but he was not one of the replacements. However, this was not a second camp for the '22 championship; the camp was for the '23 WJC.

Ah, that makes more sense and why it wasn't news around here. Thanks!

Zero. NHL-level players are never made available for WJC by any NHL team, if nothing else. Byfield is expected to be in the Kings lineup after his rehab stint in the NHL, right when the WJC will be going on.

It's laughable and absurd to think Hockey Canada holds grudges. If they decided not to pick players from teams that didn't allow elite players to go, they wouldn't have any NHL drafted players because EVERY team has done it.

People (Kings fans especially) are desperate for reasons why Clarke was left off when the reason is simple: he's not good enough. Doesn't mean he won't be a great NHLer, but he's not good enough to play for this WJC team.

It seems to have come down to Clarke vs Jack Thompson as a RD. I don't know much about Thompson but in reading up on him, he probably would have made the roster last time but a COVID outbreak on his team nixed that. He seems to be the better player and better choice over Clarke.

It's laughable and absurd to think Hockey Canada holds grudges. If they decided not to pick players from teams that didn't allow elite players to go, they wouldn't have any NHL drafted players because EVERY team has done it.

People (Kings fans especially) are desperate for reasons why Clarke was left off when the reason is simple: he's not good enough. Doesn't mean he won't be a great NHLer, but he's not good enough to play for this WJC team.

Agree with your first part, but 100% disagree with your statement that Clarke isn't good enough to make the roster. End of day, apparently he, or his style, just doesn't fit the role they are looking to fill. From a talent perspective, however, there are few on that roster (especially on defense) that outshine him.

Once again, until I see this player in an NHL uniform playing consistent minutes, I will refrain from speculating if he is indeed a solid NHL player or just a serviceable NHL player.

Agree with your first part, but 100% disagree with your statement that Clarke isn't good enough to make the roster. End of day, apparently he, or his style, just doesn't fit the role they are looking to fill. From a talent perspective, however, there are few on that roster (especially on defense) that outshine him.

I've gotta ask where you get that opinion from? Have you seen or read up on the other D that made the roster? It says a lot to me that of the 8 D only one (Thompson) is a right shot. Clarke isn't even good enough to beat out players who will have to play their offside.

I think it's a bunch of Kings bias sour grapes by people who want Clarke to be better than he actually is. It reminds me of all the fangirl/fanboying about Clague. He's simply not a good enough defenseman to make the team. Being the highest scoring or even most talented offensive defenseman doesn't make him good enough. He needs to be better defensively. I was reading more about it and it's nearly universal among scouts who watched this camp: he's not better than the 8 who made the team.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back