Byfield

I want to see him with Danault dammit.
I don't thinks that will happen. I think it's Moore-Phil-Arvy upon the latter's return.

I'd like to see:

Fiala-QB-Kempe
Moore-Phil-Arvy
PLD-Kopi-Laff (Kopi needs less mintes)
Grundy-Lizzo-Fagemo

Dewey-Mikey
Gavi-Spence (or Clarke)
Roy-Clarke (or Spence)

I don't thinks that will happen. I think it's Moore-Phil-Arvy upon the latter's return.

I'd like to see:

Fiala-QB-Kempe
Moore-Phil-Arvy
PLD-Kopi-Laff (Kopi needs less mintes)
Grundy-Lizzo-Fagemo

Dewey-Mikey
Gavi-Spence (or Clarke)
Roy-Clarke (or Spence)
I was happy to see QB move to C but Todd puts two bottom 6 forwards w/ him!? I'd like these lines better but I'm still not sure that will generate more wins...

I was happy to see QB move to C but Todd puts two bottom 6 forwards w/ him!? I'd like these lines better but I'm still not sure that will generate more wins...
Who knows with this team. Gotta believe the first 2 lines will generate more offense and the last line will be better when Lizzo returns. The PLD line will always be a challenge no matter who he's with.

I know it was 55-11-9 that dominated earlier in the season, and their reunification last night paid immediate dividends. That begs the question though, how much does 11 actually have to do with that success? Is it possible that the real chemistry is between the twosome of Byfield and Kempe?

I know it was 55-11-9 that dominated earlier in the season, and their reunification last night paid immediate dividends. That begs the question though, how much does 11 actually have to do with that success? Is it possible that the real chemistry is between the twosome of Byfield and Kempe?
I think the 9-55 duo is definitely the engine that powers that line. Kopi was contributing in 2023, but he has been a non-factor so far in 2024. It's time for some soul-searching and straight talk in the coach's office between TM and the Captain. If Kopitar is actually hurt, then McLellan should protect him, not expose him on the top line. If PLD would buy in, 80-55-9 could possibly work.

I’ve been bullish on Byfield’s game from the start but even I was questioning the ceiling of his ability to score goals at the NHL level.

What a fool I was. Byfield already has 30 goal hands. Could he score 50 in the future? Why not? I’m almost convinced if you put him out there 22 minutes a night and you told him to get you 4 shots on goal every night he could very likely pot 50.
When he acquires an elite level shot, QB will become the total package. He has good, fast hands. He'll learn from the big kids.

When he acquires an elite level shot, QB will become the total package. He has good, fast hands. He'll learn from the big kids.
It's not possible to acquire an elite shot any more than it is to acquire elite speed. It's a matter of talent. You either have it or you don't by this age. He can marginally improve his shot, but that's about it. He'll get bigger, stronger and more experienced, which will help his scoring. But I don't see him as a 50-goal guy. I think 35-40 is a ceiling for him.

I think the 9-55 duo is definitely the engine that powers that line. Kopi was contributing in 2023, but he has been a non-factor so far in 2024. It's time for some soul-searching and straight talk in the coach's office between TM and the Captain. If Kopitar is actually hurt, then McLellan should protect him, not expose him on the top line. If PLD would buy in, 80-55-9 could possibly work.
I wouldn't want PLD with 55 and 9, he is too slow and uncreative for that line (though it could work if his focus in positing up in front of the net and looking for tip ins). Having someone who will win puck battles and go into the corners is really what they need though.

I wouldn't want PLD with 55 and 9, he is too slow and uncreative for that line (though it could work if his focus in positing up in front of the net and looking for tip ins). Having someone who will win puck battles and go into the corners is really what they need though.
That is why I said, ”If PLD would buy in“. PLD actually has the skating ability/speed to keep up with 9 & 55 - better than 11 has been doing lately. And the corner guy you described has already been doing that very well for a year now. His number is 55. So call the assignments 55-80-9 if you like that better… QB or Kempe would still be F1 in most circumstances.

That is why I said, ”If PLD would buy in“. PLD actually has the skating ability/speed to keep up with 9 & 55 - better than 11 has been doing lately. And the corner guy you described has already been doing that very well for a year now. His number is 55. So call the assignments 55-80-9 if you like that better… QB or Kempe would still be F1 in most circumstances.
To be honest I'm pretty set on the need for QB to move to Center, which means he would need to get away a bit from the corner role. PLD, even if he buys in, hasn't shown a high hockey IQ to me as of yet and does not seem to have physical play or compete in him. I'd much prefer 12 - 55 - 9 but that breaks up a strong 2nd line. Alternately move Kempe to LW and create a line of 9 - 55 - 78.

Laf admittedly still has a long way to go before he'd be ready to play against L1 competition but he shows a lot of characteristics that would make him a good fit.

IMG_3925.jpeg

When he fully grows into his frame he's gonna be a damn Moose out there.
Like a boss!! He's starting to show some dgaf attitude to the opponents, which is very nice to see.

Maybe teach him how to put up his dukes for when the time is needed.

Last edited:

i am pleasantly surprised. byfield has surpassed all my expectations this year and as I said in the GDT I think next year he's going to straight up be a menace. he also carries himself very well in interviews and somehow seems to have a little friendship thing going on with every person on the team - a lot of charisma and character and just raw hockey from him right now. so glad he's coming out his shell.

Back