Byfield

It's not possible to acquire an elite shot any more than it is to acquire elite speed. It's a matter of talent. You either have it or you don't by this age. He can marginally improve his shot, but that's about it. He'll get bigger, stronger and more experienced, which will help his scoring. But I don't see him as a 50-goal guy. I think 35-40 is a ceiling for him.
Hmmm…so at 21 years old playing first line minutes in the NHL there’s absolutely no way this kid’s shot gets better? Not sure I buy that.

It's not possible to acquire an elite shot any more than it is to acquire elite speed. It's a matter of talent. You either have it or you don't by this age. He can marginally improve his shot, but that's about it. He'll get bigger, stronger and more experienced, which will help his scoring. But I don't see him as a 50-goal guy. I think 35-40 is a ceiling for him.
With how many Apples? I can live with 35-65-100 for the next decade, especially if he maintains the plus/minus.

Would be interested to see him earn some PK time.

With how many Apples? I can live with 35-65-100 for the next decade, especially if he maintains the plus/minus.

Would be interested to see him earn some PK time.
With his size, speed, stick work, and dogged tenacity, I’m surprised he hasn’t seen PK time. Given the fact that he generally plays less minutes than his linemates, he could stand to pick up the extra ice time, especially with those youthful legs and energy. Maybe time for old man Kopitar to play less on the PK, and give way to Byfield. If there was one Achilles’ heel Byfield had in his early career, it -was- putting the puck in the net, and that’s usually not an imperative while on the penalty kill anyways.

Now that we’ve gotten rid of Todd, and his stubborn ass coaching ways, I would definitely not be surprised to see Hiller put QB on the PK, especially if Kopitar looks like he’s dragging that piano around on his back. We’ve already seen a change in coaching strategy from the way Todd ran things, with Hillers willingness to mix those lines up at the end of last game.

With his size, speed, stick work, and dogged tenacity, I’m surprised he hasn’t seen PK time. Given the fact that he generally plays less minutes than his linemates, he could stand to pick up the extra ice time, especially with those youthful legs and energy. Maybe time for old man Kopitar to play less on the PK, and give way to Byfield. If there was one Achilles’ heel Byfield had in his early career, it -was- putting the puck in the net, and that’s usually not an imperative while on the penalty kill anyways.

Now that we’ve gotten rid of Todd, and his stubborn ass coaching ways, I would definitely not be surprised to see Hiller put QB on the PK, especially if Kopitar looks like he’s dragging that piano around on his back. We’ve already seen a change in coaching strategy from the way Todd ran things, with Hillers willingness to mix those lines up at the end of last game.
Next season give him some time on the PK and he'll pretty easily hit 19-20 minutes a night. 21 minutes a night would put him in elite company. Draisaitl averages 21 minutes a night and he's 12th in TOI for forwards. I can see QB getting there.

Just saw this.
https://twitter.com/NHLRussell
Russell Morgan
@NHLRussell

Points per 60 leaders among skaters age 22 and under, per Evolving Hockey (>200 minutes):
Jack Hughes - 3.87
Quinton Byfield - 3.12
Lucas Raymond - 2.81
Tim Stutzle - 2.77
Connor Bedard - 2.66

Not to shabby kid.
This is giving me flashbacks to last season when the stat freaks were shaking the tea leaves and posting career age : point ratios vs. past NHLers and projecting Byfield to top out as a 2nd liner.

If the Kings team offense didn’t fall into a black hole for 20+ games QB would be on a PPG pace right now. He has the size, speed and skills to be a 100 point player. I’m already sure of it.

This is giving me flashbacks to last season when the stat freaks were shaking the tea leaves and posting career age : point ratios vs. past NHLers and projecting Byfield to top out as a 2nd liner.

If the Kings team offense didn’t fall into a black hole for 20+ games QB would be on a PPG pace right now. He has the size, speed and skills to be a 100 point player. I’m already sure of it.

IDK about his shot regarding 100pts but if he gets that going then awesome. I'd like to see Fiala + Byfield + Dubois for a bit esp. with Arvy comin back.

When he eclipses PPG+ status over the duration of an entire season, I’ll breathe a sigh of relief. Just not this season, on the eve of his next contract. And for Birdman’s sake, I’ll be fine if he scores 20 goals this campaign, but let’s not get too crazy, lest we need to jettison more necessary depth. Sign that team friendly extension first, and then shred the league to pieces next season, kid!

Given all of the above, I'm really surprised we haven't seen him on OT. We'll see how Hiller feels about that.
I think Todd was going to use him more in o/t, had he continued on as coach. One of the last games under Todd he was put out with Fiala and nearly won the game with a sweet feed to a wide open Fiala who unfortunately was not able to get it by the goaltender.

I agree with you - hopefully we see Hiller use him as an o/t regular going forward.

Given all of the above, I'm really surprised we haven't seen him on OT. We'll see how Hiller feels about that.
The fact that we started a 4 on 4 with Kempe and Fiala, and that Kopitar and Byfield were 3rd out of the chute has Ben encouraged that Hiller has recognized that Kopitar is gassed/injured, and that he may be hurting us in those situations.

The fact that we started a 4 on 4 with Kempe and Fiala, and that Kopitar and Byfield were 3rd out of the chute has Ben encouraged that Hiller has recognized that Kopitar is gassed/injured, and that he may be hurting us in those situations.
I'll be extremely surprised if it turns out that Kopitar isn't injured. If it is what I think it is, he has a pretty long recovery ahead of him and won't be healthy for the remainder of this season.

Time also for Hiller to cut Doughty's minutes back and make him earn additional ice time with good play.

IMG_3933.jpeg

I've said it in other threads but I think QB's been the most consistent player & if he keeps it up he could be the best player. I thought he'd have a lot more assists than goals but maybe that's because guys aren't putting it in the net for him. I'd like to see him get time on the PK & in OT. And I'd like to see him in last minute situations, whether up or down a goal. But yeah, I'm happy for him, feel vindicated, & wouldn't trade him for anyone else in that draft class.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back