Danault played 8:46 against McDavid and Draisaitl lines...

Part of the problem with evaluating Kopitar, particularly on this message board, is that we have to admit that he has become now what people were accusing him of being 10 years ago.

My apologies. Kopitar clearly isn't in the same class as McDavid, Draisaitl or even Danault. He's very obviously a step below and his play in the Oilers series was atrocious. The faster Byfield is ready to slot up the faster we can put Kopitar where he belongs, 3rd line and off the 1st unit PP.

Throughout the past 2 years of the rebuild, I?ve been saying that the Kings won?t become contenders until Kopitar becomes the 3C.

It seems pretty obvious that next season will be when that move has to be made.

Danault has earned the 1C spot. The 2C spot will be the big prize at camp.

Or? will the Kings make deals to shed salary and go all-in for Forsberg and try to build a scoring line?

It?s gonna be an interesting summer for sure.

Kopitar and Danault looking just fine compared to Calgary

I think the adjustments Edmonton made playing against those two is what got them past us and easily handled Calgary. That combination of McDavid and Drais is lethal when they stay patient and play more of a cycle, possession style.

We watched them figure that out against Kopi and Danault.

Throughout the past 2 years of the rebuild, I’ve been saying that the Kings won’t become contenders until Kopitar becomes the 3C.

It seems pretty obvious that next season will be when that move has to be made.

Danault has earned the 1C spot. The 2C spot will be the big prize at camp.

Or… will the Kings make deals to shed salary and go all-in for Forsberg and try to build a scoring line?

It’s gonna be an interesting summer for sure.

While I think your overall hypothesis is right, I don't see anyway Kopi leaves camp without at least being the 2C - my hope that is a little more realistic imo, is that Kopitar comes out of the camp as the 2C and by the time we get to the all star break, he is slowly becoming more and more that 3C.

I think the adjustments Edmonton made playing against those two is what got them past us and easily handled Calgary. That combination of McDavid and Drais is lethal when they stay patient and play more of a cycle, possession style.

We watched them figure that out against Kopi and Danault.

Really have to give Jay Woodcroft and staff a tip of the hat. They've pushed most of the right buttons since entering the picture back in February. Will it continue further on into the playoffs against the really elite teams? It will be interesting.

While I think your overall hypothesis is right, I don't see anyway Kopi leaves camp without at least being the 2C - my hope that is a little more realistic imo, is that Kopitar comes out of the camp as the 2C and by the time we get to the all star break, he is slowly becoming more and more that 3C.

I totally agree that Kopi will start the season as 1C. But I’m also hoping that’s not where he ends up this time next year.

I totally agree that Kopi will start the season as 1C. But I?m also hoping that?s not where he ends up this time next year.

I'm actually very torn on what would be the best. I mean if he goes on a heater like he did all of 2017-2018...Well that should be great for the team in terms of wingers/D would definitely be getting their games involved in his game and bringing them along. It would also mean that the rest of the center situation would be able to be very sheltered. I just can't tell if that's what these guys need or if they need the Zegras free rein to go out there treatment so they know they're nhl'ers that can then start working on the things than Kopi and Danault need to teach them. Seems so many of these guys need that validation of points window before they can get themselves around the rest of it. I mean not everyone can be Bergeron. Odds are not great that Kopi can do what he did 4 years ago now with father time, but honestly we were saying the things back then too. I still wonder what would've happened if they hadn't run into Vegas in the first round that year.

Question: How do you move Kopitar off the top line and have him keep the "C"? Has there ever been a Captian of a NHL team that was not a top line player/first pair defenseman/starting goalie? Since stripping C's or angrly turning them in seem to be this orginization's jam, I'll concede it's a possiblity. But it feels far-fetched.

Question: How do you move Kopitar off the top line and have him keep the "C"? Has there ever been a Captian of a NHL team that was not a top line player/first pair defenseman/starting goalie? Since stripping C's or angrly turning them in seem to be this orginization's jam, I'll concede it's a possiblity. But it feels far-fetched.

It's not uncommon for a captain to not be a top line player at all. Getzlaf was still captain for the Ducks last season, he wasn't on the first line for most of it. I'm pretty sure Taylor was still the captain for the Kings after he was no longer on the top line.

*Goalies can't be captains.

I'm actually very torn on what would be the best. I mean if he goes on a heater like he did all of 2017-2018...Well that should be great for the team in terms of wingers/D would definitely be getting their games involved in his game and bringing them along. It would also mean that the rest of the center situation would be able to be very sheltered. I just can't tell if that's what these guys need or if they need the Zegras free rein to go out there treatment so they know they're nhl'ers that can then start working on the things than Kopi and Danault need to teach them. Seems so many of these guys need that validation of points window before they can get themselves around the rest of it. I mean not everyone can be Bergeron. Odds are not great that Kopi can do what he did 4 years ago now with father time, but honestly we were saying the things back then too. I still wonder what would've happened if they hadn't run into Vegas in the first round that year.

If the Kings do land Forsberg, that would probably extend Kopitar's shelf life at 1C. Forsberg-Kopitar-Kempe could definitely work. That combination would allow Kopi to be actually that "pass first" guy and put up Joe Thornton numbers.

It's not uncommon for a captain to not be a top line player at all. Getzlaf was still captain for the Ducks last season, he wasn't on the first line for most of it. I'm pretty sure Taylor was still the captain for the Kings after he was no longer on the top line.

*Goalies can't be captains.
Hmm. Fair enough. Looks like my brain has not yet recovered from this weekend, where I thought if I took mushrooms I'd find the courage to go outside and see "Bob's Burgers" the movie. Nope. The fear of germs (or dying as an immunocompromised person an ironic death)won and drugs are not the answer. Unless the question is : Do you want to see your (passed away) grandfather. [sorry, sorry, sorry]

Really goalies can't be a captain? Noted. And any mention of Dave gets karma, well done.

slickric-naturedoge69.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Best I recall, I learned the goalie captain thing when the Nucks tried to make Bobby Lou their captain and the NHL said nope. Had been in the rules forever it seems. I still don't get why considering the captain within the rules is simply the designated rep to speak to the ref on the ice. Technically if an unlettered player approaches a ref they can get a penalty. Odd bit of decorum.

What Party's post made for some fun research, I present to you all the NHL captains and the highest paid player on their team. Not exactly the same question that was posed but a fun bit of information nonetheless. The Blue Jackets are probably the most throwback team in terms of the Captain not being one of their most skilled players, but Colorado is definitely not far behind with Landeskog. Information presented from Capfriendly.com and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NHL_captains_and_alternate_captains

Team Captain Since Pos Highest paid player AAV
Anaheim Ducks Vacant 2022?23[a] ? Cam Fowler 6.5M
Arizona Coyotes Vacant 2021?22 ? Clayton Keller 7.15M
Boston Bruins Patrice BergeronSpent entire NHL career with team 2020?21[10] C Charlie McAvoy 9.5M (note Bergy UFA pending retirement announcement)
Buffalo Sabres Vacant 2021?22[c] ? Jeff Skinner 9.0M
Calgary Flames Vacant 2021?22[d] ? Sean Monahan 6.375M (Matt Tkachuk is RFA and pending)
Carolina Hurricanes Jordan Staal 2019?20[11] C Sebastian Aho 8.46M
Chicago Blackhawks Jonathan ToewsSpent entire NHL career with team 2008?09[12] C Kane/Toews 10.5M
Colorado Avalanche Gabriel LandeskogSpent entire NHL career with team 2012?13[13] LW Mikko Raantanen 9.25M
Columbus Blue Jackets Boone JennerSpent entire NHL career with team 2021?22[14] C Zach Werenski 9.583M
Dallas Stars Jamie BennSpent entire NHL career with team 2013?14[15] LW Tyler Seguin 9.85M
Detroit Red Wings Dylan LarkinSpent entire NHL career with team 2020?21[16] C Dylan Larkin 6.1M
Edmonton Oilers Connor McDavidSpent entire NHL career with team 2016?17[7] C Connor McDavid 12.5M
Florida Panthers Aleksander BarkovSpent entire NHL career with team 2018?19[17] C Barkov/Bobrovsky 10.0M
Los Angeles Kings Anze KopitarSpent entire NHL career with team 2016?17[18] C Drew Doughty 11.0M
Minnesota Wild Jared SpurgeonSpent entire NHL career with team 2020?21[19] D Kaprizov 9.0M
Montreal Canadiens Shea Weber 2018?19[20] D Carey Price 10.5M (Nick Suzuki Highest AAV Skater 7.875)
Nashville Predators Roman JosiSpent entire NHL career with team 2017?18[21] D Roman Josi 9.06M
New Jersey Devils Nico HischierSpent entire NHL career with team 2020?21[22] C Dougie Hamilton 9.0M
New York Islanders Anders LeeSpent entire NHL career with team 2018?19[23] LW Barzal/Lee 7.0M
New York Rangers Vacant 2017?18[e] ? Panarin 11.64M
Ottawa Senators Brady TkachukSpent entire NHL career with team 2021?22[24] LW Brady Tkachuk 8.20M
Philadelphia Flyers Vacant 2021?22[f] C Sean Coutrier 7.75M
Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney CrosbySpent entire NHL career with team 2007?08[25] C Crosby 8.7M
San Jose Sharks Logan CoutureSpent entire NHL career with team 2019?20[26] C Karlsson 11.5M
Seattle Kraken Vacant 2021?22[g] ? Grubauer 5.9M (Eberle Highest Skater at 5.5M)
St. Louis Blues Ryan O'Reilly 2020?21[27] C O'Reilly/Tarasanko 7.5M
Tampa Bay Lightning Steven StamkosSpent entire NHL career with team 2013?14[28] C Kucherov/Pointe 9.5M
Toronto Maple Leafs John Tavares 2019?20[29] C Matthews 11.64M
Vancouver Canucks Bo HorvatSpent entire NHL career with team 2019?20[30] C Quinn Hughes 7.85M
Vegas Golden Knights Mark Stone 2020?21[31] RW Jack Eichel 10.0M
Washington Capitals Alexander OvechkinSpent entire NHL career with team 2009?10[32] LW Ovechkin 9.5M
Winnipeg Jets Blake Wheeler 2016?17[33] RW Wheeler 8.25M

Most recent captain, Ryan Getzlaf, retired at the end of the 2021?22 season.
Most recent captain, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, was traded to the Vancouver Canucks in July 2021.
Most recent captain, Jack Eichel, was stripped of his captaincy in September 2021 and subsequently traded to the Vegas Golden Knights in November 2021.
Most recent captain, Mark Giordano, was selected by the Seattle Kraken in the 2021 NHL Expansion Draft.
Most recent captain, Ryan McDonagh, was traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning in February 2018.
Most recent captain, Claude Giroux, was traded to the Florida Panthers in March 2022.
Most recent captain, Mark Giordano, was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in March 2022.

Totally there are 11 of 32 teams with the highest paid player as the captain, so roughly a third of the league operates with the top heavy concept. I thought about trying to compare it to the highest scoring player on each team as well, but thought that might do a disservice to the D captains (besides Josi who is an anomaly) If anyone else wants to poke through and check that by all means have at it.

Best I recall, I learned the goalie captain thing when the Nucks tried to make Bobby Lou their captain and the NHL said nope. Had been in the rules forever it seems. I still don't get why considering the captain within the rules is simply the designated rep to speak to the ref on the ice. Technically if an unlettered player approaches a ref they can get a penalty. Odd bit of decorum.

Noted. Awe poor Bobby Lou. Can't believe that fact did not stay in my brain but I'm guessing listening to trap music, answering work emails and "trying" to be funny on a message board about hockey did not help the cause. Still blaming the shrooms.

Wonder who would best/worst option for hockey goalie captain throughout the ages if it were allowed? I've got my worst, (i think) : The dominator (no not Roy, because eff that guy, seriously, eff him). The best, may have a bit of a bias. *winky face*

Noted. Awe poor Bobby Lou. Can't believe that fact did not stay in my brain but I'm guessing listening to trap music, answering work emails and "trying" to be funny on a message board about hockey did not help the cause. Still blaming the shrooms.

Wonder who would best/worst option for hockey goalie captain throughout the ages if it were allowed? I've got my worst, (i think) : The dominator (no not Roy, because eff that guy, seriously, eff him). The best, may have a bit of a bias. *winky face*

Eddie the eagle would have been an amazing candidate for worst captain, probably right up there with Mike Smith, Hextall definitely woulda been up there for the most entertaining/potential train wreck.
Somehow it feels like Dryden and his pose woulda made for some of the most intimidating captainship on the ice.
aec15f823564f878e4aa332817583f93.jpg

Eddie the eagle would have been an amazing candidate for worst captain, probably right up there with Mike Smith, Hextall definitely woulda been up there for the most entertaining/potential train wreck.
Somehow it feels like Dryden and his pose woulda made for some of the most intimidating captainship on the ice.
aec15f823564f878e4aa332817583f93.jpg
Ooo. That 90's nonsense makes my heart smile. Pushing this even further, practically speaking do you really think Hextall or Belfour could stand up (or bring together) those neanderthal teams? Perhaps a keener eye could weigh in but the only thing you needed to be in the 90's to play defense was being built like a tree and be able to skate backwards, coupled with the ego maniac forwards; sheesh.

Agreed on Dryden and is exactly who I was thinking of when I misspoke about the goalie captain but my brain called him, that Canadian that played for the Canadiens. Stupid brain.
5ol.gif

My non-Dryden best choice: Kolzig. German efficency sounds intimidating to me.

Back