Dirty jersey help - playoff hopes may be directly impacted

Pevsfreedom

somehow in south carolina
So I have a signed Quick jersey I wore in 2012 and 2014 which obviously led to us winning the cups. Didn't wear it for any playoffs after that. Derp.

The problem is I have 2 other jerseys. My old diabetic kitty Luna had her way with them when they were folded inside a bag. Covered in a pee smell.

I have no idea how to clean them (I have 3, one has at least 30 signatures on it) without ruining the signature. Two dry cleaners said "yeah, we don't do that".

Am I screwed? Are our playoffs dreams crushed because I can't wear my good luck jersey?

This is absolutely LA Kings related and belongs in Home Ice.

Any ideas appreciated. Trying to get it clean to wear next week!

So I have a signed Quick jersey I wore in 2012 and 2014 which obviously led to us winning the cups. Didn't wear it for any playoffs after that. Derp.

The problem is I have 2 other jerseys. My old diabetic kitty Luna had her way with them when they were folded inside a bag. Covered in a pee smell.

I have no idea how to clean them (I have 3, one has at least 30 signatures on it) without ruining the signature. Two dry cleaners said "yeah, we don't do that".

Am I screwed? Are our playoffs dreams crushed because I can't wear my good luck jersey?

LOL!

That's actually a damn good question.

Reminds me of these two kids from the USC that had season tickets behind the Kings bench at the Forum and when their parents wouldn't go, they'd let me sit next to them in one of the empty seats...if I bought them drinks. Drinks weren't cheap...even back then...but it was worth it sitting up front. And she was smokin' hot!

Anyway, she had a white Kings jersey covered and autographs from Gretzky, Fox, Robitaille, Blake, McSorley, Sandstrom, Taylor and a whole bunch more...

...and the first thing I wondered about was how in the hell she kept the damn thing clean.

So my first guess would be Google it. And my next guess would be wash it very, very carefully in gentle organic soap...

...or you could go the French whore route and don't wash it at all. Just keep drenching it with cologne. :omg:

Well, Nature's Miracle Cat Urine Destroyer will ultimately get the pee smell out & most of any stains, but you will pretty much have to soak the whole jersey, and THEN it is going to smell like Nature's Miracle for a long time, which is almost as bad. I do not know what it will do to the signatures....you could try it on one you don't care about too much. After you use the Nature's Miracle, I would let the jersey be out in the sun because the UV rays will also help get rid of the smell.

Other things I have used on cat odors are plain old baking soda and vinegar, and then I've also read that hydrogen peroxide will do the trick, but I have never tried it.

Cat odors are really, really tough to get rid of, though. I once had to buy a brand new hockey bag because one of my cats decided it was the perfect place to do her business.

Good luck. This is why I don't have any cats any more.

Well, Nature's Miracle Cat Urine Destroyer will ultimately get the pee smell out & most of any stains, but you will pretty much have to soak the whole jersey, and THEN it is going to smell like Nature's Miracle for a long time, which is almost as bad. I do not know what it will do to the signatures....you could try it on one you don't care about too much. After you use the Nature's Miracle, I would let the jersey be out in the sun because the UV rays will also help get rid of the smell.

Other things I have used on cat odors are plain old baking soda and vinegar, and then I've also read that hydrogen peroxide will do the trick, but I have never tried it.

Cat odors are really, really tough to get rid of, though. I once had to buy a brand new hockey bag because one of my cats decided it was the perfect place to do her business.

Good luck. This is why I don't have any cats any more.

I mean I only have 6, so..

Luna was diabetic so she gets a pass. But why'd she have to choose that bag? :(

I do have a uhh, high-value KEN BELANGE signed jersey. He was sitting next to me in the crowd one time and signed it.

I've tried googling it. I thought this was definitely a dry cleaner job. They won't touch it. Everyone says any type of water will kill the signature. IDK. Maybe time to actually accept black and white is here to stay and buy one of those?

I think the best I've seen is put tape over the signatures with seran wrap or something, then hand wash everything else... though my 30+ player Meet the Kings jersey is screwed in that regard.

Feel like I'm about to sign some random clothes and see how it works with urine destroyer, lol.

Last edited:
might start by hanging it outside in the breeze for a couple days. Cat urine is pretty strong, and if they look stained it won't cure that, but you miiiiight get the smell to subside a bit.

Spot washing with gentle soap appears to be your best option. But I use Sharpies every day on the job, and I've come back years later and seen the markings exposed to weather still legible on a wide variety of material.

So I guess it comes down to what type of ink pen. Underground conduits are a good example. The above-ground surface is covered with duct tape and marked with a Sharpie. Even after concrete pours, rain, exposure to sunlight and chemicals, the markings are clearly visible.

There is a reason we use Sharpies in construction, because generally speaking, for all practical purposes the ink is permanent.

Heck I've even scraped concrete off the duct tape with a Husky knife, and the markings were still clearly visible.

I don't know how strong cat urine smells like. I've dealt with dog p*ss on the carpet. As Nyssa said, baking soda and vinegar is a good method. Soaking it in vinegar overnight or longer could help with the strong smell. Then those oxy clean powders to boot.

Test results thus far:

The Ken Belange jersey is from like 2002 I'm guessing. Older and uncared for. The tag says gentle wash cold and dry low. I soaked it in 1/4 cup of some of that enzyme cleaner stuff, then ran a normal delicate cold wash. I'm surprised it had a care tag TBH. It came out smelling 100% good, tho I think the signature faded probably at least 20-30%. Should have done before and after, for posterity, or something. I kind of want to just do a good soak with my signed Quick one, because having it in the washer scares me. Though like my wife last night said... who the F wants a cat p*ss covered jersey, signed or not? So I think that getting the smell out might overirde keeping the signature 100% intact.

I don't know how strong cat urine smells like. I've dealt with dog p*ss on the carpet. As Nyssa said, baking soda and vinegar is a good method. Soaking it in vinegar overnight or longer could help with the strong smell. Then those oxy clean powders to boot.

We run a very clean house with 6 cats, nobody ever knows we have cats, but as Luna was aging she definitely had her way with some things. Cat pee is terrible. Baking soda and vinegar sort of works. You really need what's called an enzyme cleaner, which has little microscopic proteins that actually eat the bacteria, and are 100% effective. Had decent luck doing a simple soak with the last jersey.

Spot washing with gentle soap appears to be your best option. But I use Sharpies every day on the job, and I've come back years later and seen the markings exposed to weather still legible on a wide variety of material.

So I guess it comes down to what type of ink pen. Underground conduits are a good example. The above-ground surface is covered with duct tape and marked with a Sharpie. Even after concrete pours, rain, exposure to sunlight and chemicals, the markings are clearly visible.

There is a reason we use Sharpies in construction, because generally speaking, for all practical purposes the ink is permanent.

Heck I've even scraped concrete off the duct tape with a Husky knife, and the markings were still clearly visible.

Yeah that's a good point. I did some 1st grade level research and found sharpies are not water soluble.

Might do the Quick one today. May god have mercy on my soul.

Last edited:
Test results thus far:

The Ken Belange jersey is from like 2002 I'm guessing. Older and uncared for. The tag says gentle wash cold and dry low. I soaked it in 1/4 cup of some of that enzyme cleaner stuff, then ran a normal delicate cold wash. I'm surprised it had a care tag TBH. It came out smelling 100% good, tho I think the signature faded probably at least 20-30%. Should have done before and after, for posterity, or something. I kind of want to just do a good soak with my signed Quick one, because having it in the washer scares me. Though like my wife last night said... who the F wants a cat p*ss covered jersey, signed or not? So I think that getting the smell out might overirde keeping the signature 100% intact.

This is one reason why I don't have any cats. I've heard their p*ss odor is strong.

I have mini-dachshunds and they smell like maple syrup (except their toes, which smell kinda like Fritos).

My Chinese lady friends uses this on her delicates. I know she always smells nice!

41YJcPYRFWL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Test results thus far:

We run a very clean house with 6 cats, nobody ever knows we have cats, but as Luna was aging she definitely had her way with some things. Cat pee is terrible. Baking soda and vinegar sort of works. You really need what's called an enzyme cleaner, which has little microscopic proteins that actually eat the bacteria, and are 100% effective. Had decent luck doing a simple soak with the last jersey.

Yeah that's a good point. I did some 1st grade level research and found sharpies are not water soluble.

Might do the Quick one today. May god have mercy on my soul.

LOL!

Good luck!

Have no suggestions for cleaning- but Damnit man this is playoff hockey! suck it up and get that jersey on! smelling of cat urine for a day is a small price to pay!

Have no suggestions for cleaning- but Damnit man this is playoff hockey! suck it up and get that jersey on! smelling of cat urine for a day is a small price to pay!

Lmao.

Well I risked it all and did the same for the Quick jersey (enzyme cleaner, cold wash delicate, low dry) and it turned out 100% smelling like playoffs and clean. Woohoo we can play now. With a little bit of knowledge and science I have conquered my oppressors.

I got nothin' man! In the early 2000's my girlfriend's cats peed all over my hockey bag. I had my Vaughn goalie pads in the bag too. I took the Reg suggested route, and just continued to play with hose leg pads. Hell, it smelt almost as bad when I'd leave my chest protector in the bag overnight without the cats, so no one ever really noticed, lol.

Good luck!

...Cat odors are really, really tough to get rid of, though. I once had to buy a brand new hockey bag because one of my cats decided it was the perfect place to do her business.
So what you are saying is, cat odors kill hockey odors!?!

Glad you had good luck with the enzyme cleaner!! When I had cats I always would take stuff that I had cleaned with Nature's Miracle to my friend who had no pets for her to smell because I would think they smelled fine, but she would sometimes be like, "nope....still smells like cat pee". This is my same friend who now comes with me to the games and is 17-1 in wins/losses. She's very useful.

I've washed jerseys (soccer) with Sharpie signatures on them in a normal wash cycle and they haven't come out. If it's Sharpie Sharpie, I'd give it a shot on a gentle wash cycle with regular soap. But that is just my experience, YMMV.

I've washed jerseys (soccer) with Sharpie signatures on them in a normal wash cycle and they haven't come out. If it's Sharpie Sharpie, I'd give it a shot on a gentle wash cycle with regular soap. But that is just my experience, YMMV.

Yup they turned out fine. I think a few wore out by maybe 15-30% but not bad at all.

Glad you had good luck with the enzyme cleaner!! When I had cats I always would take stuff that I had cleaned with Nature's Miracle to my friend who had no pets for her to smell because I would think they smelled fine, but she would sometimes be like, "nope....still smells like cat pee". This is my same friend who now comes with me to the games and is 17-1 in wins/losses. She's very useful.

That stuff smelled worse to me than the offending odor. I found a different enzyme cleaner that was much more pleasant.

Yup they turned out fine. I think a few wore out by maybe 15-30% but not bad at all.

Congratulations! Never underestimate the power of the Sharpie!

About ten years ago a job was shut down for financial reasons (the owners ran out of cash). All the underground conduits had been installed, the slab was poured and exposed PVC had been capped off with red duct tape and marked with Sharpies.

Two years later, the project was rolling again, and when we arrived at the jobsite, it consisted of a giant monolithic concrete slab with hundreds of red pipes of varying width poking up several inches. The first thing I said was "Well, we're gonna have to blow each line to find out what the hell we have here..."

Nope.

The markings on the duct tape were still clearly visible. Three years of sun and wind and rain, and the Sharpies prevailed. It literally saved hundreds of man-hours.

Now just keep your jerseys away from the damn cats!:ccat:

I prefer the chisel-tip Sharpie, which I affectionately refer to as a Fattie:

sharpie-markers-invidual-main.1600725037.jpg

I got nothin' man! In the early 2000's my girlfriend's cats peed all over my hockey bag. I had my Vaughn goalie pads in the bag too. I took the Reg suggested route, and just continued to play with hose leg pads. Hell, it smelt almost as bad when I'd leave my chest protector in the bag overnight without the cats, so no one ever really noticed, lol.

Good luck!

i cannot gag hard enough at this...

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back