Elliotte Friedman: Chychrun May Be Available

One thing the Kings have going for them is their first rounder this year will likely be a much higher selection than some of the other teams who might be interested. Right now, our selection would be #12 . A lot of the teams supposedly interested will have a pick well into the 20s.

So, is the assumption here that he's either asked for a trade, or AZ is trying to completely shed everything and start over (because they are hemorrhaging money and may even move)? Or a bit of both? I see no reason why they'd be gauging the market on this guy otherwise.

It would make a sale of the team easier if the team didn't have any or few long term contracts on the books. Right now just Keller and Schmaltz are on expesive/long term deals. Chychrun has the 3rd most expensive deal on the Yotes books.

So, is the assumption here that he's either asked for a trade, or AZ is trying to completely shed everything and start over (because they are hemorrhaging money and may even move)? Or a bit of both? I see no reason why they'd be gauging the market on this guy otherwise.

They also already have a pile of draft picks for 2022: three 1st round picks, with another 5 picks in the second round.

So what would they want?

There are a few possibilities.

1. They think his value will drop due to his poor play this season, so they want to sell now while his value is still very high.

2. He may have asked for a trade or told them he'll never re-sign and wants out.

3. They may conclude that their timeline is so extended that it's better to just start over now. If their main focus is on first round draft picks (let's say they want two), then it's 3-4 years from now before those players are likely even in the league.

4. They may have seen what the other top d-man traded got in return this year and decided they are in a unique situation to maximize his value. One thing is that his contract is very reasonable for three more seasons after this one. Top teams can fit him in now and not have to worry about his next $9+ million per season contract until the 2025-2026 season. Take a team like Tampa, that can't afford Sergachev's next contract. Adding Chychrun basically allows them to move Sergachev and have a similar player at the same cap hit for two additional seasons. By that time, Stamkos' contract is off the books if they want.

Can we sweeten the pot by trading them a barely used Kings general manager and Kings president?

4. They may have seen what the other top d-man traded got in return this year and decided they are in a unique situation to maximize his value. One thing is that his contract is very reasonable for three more seasons after this one. Top teams can fit him in now and not have to worry about his next $9+ million per season contract until the 2025-2026 season. Take a team like Tampa, that can't afford Sergachev's next contract. Adding Chychrun basically allows them to move Sergachev and have a similar player at the same cap hit for two additional seasons. By that time, Stamkos' contract is off the books if they want.

But a team in TB's position doesnt really have much to offer. A late 1st and..? The team's that are capable of making good offers are teams like the Kings, who have a solid prospect pool to make a legit offer.

This whole situation makes no sense to me unless Chychrun asked for a trade. He's young and cost controlled. The only things they'd conceivably want are picks or prospects still on entry level contracts.

You throw just about every asset you've got at this kind of deal except for Byfield and Clarke.

Cost cutting. What use do they have for a D-man entering his prime signed for 3 more years. Logically they'd want cheap young cost controlled medium to high-end assets and it just so happens the Kings are flush with those. I genuinely think we're the ideal trade partner for the Coyotes.

But a team in TB's position doesnt really have much to offer. A late 1st and..? The team's that are capable of making good offers are teams like the Kings, who have a solid prospect pool to make a legit offer.

This whole situation makes no sense to me unless Chychrun asked for a trade. He's young and cost controlled. The only things they'd conceivably want are picks or prospects still on entry level contracts.

4.6 Million sounds like a cheap contract but when you're in the Coyotes situation it's a luxury that they literally can't afford. If they can turn 1 player making 4.6 Million into 5 younger and cheaper NHL ceiling assets, it makes perfect sense. The Kings cupboard is stocked deep with kids who will be NHL players within the next 2-3 seasons as well as all their 1st and 2nd round draft picks and none of them are due for big raises anytime soon. Blake has the ammo to get this deal done if there is a deal to be made. Does he have the stomach for it? I dunno.

Plus he would fit the Jewish quota (which has been vacant way too long) on the Kings. Fit it nicely. mhihi: :hockey2: cool:

clipped..Chychrun looking dapper in purple and T neck...

Looks like he's already a fan of wearing purple. Advantage: Kings.

1139599062-e456189442860d02e0a02520ed6ed06b.jpg

4.6 Million sounds like a cheap contract but when you're in the Coyotes situation it's a luxury that they literally can't afford. If they can turn 1 player making 4.6 Million into 5 younger and cheaper NHL ceiling assets, it makes perfect sense. The Kings cupboard is stocked deep with kids who will be NHL players within the next 2-3 seasons as well as all their 1st and 2nd round draft picks and none of them are due for big raises anytime soon. Blake has the ammo to get this deal done if there is a deal to be made. Does he have the stomach for it? I dunno.

I cant imagine a single player in the league wanting to play there if 4.6mil is considered unaffordable. How will they even hit the floor? I think he's demanded a trade.

I cant imagine a single player in the league wanting to play there if 4.6mil is considered unaffordable. How will they even hit the floor? I think he's demanded a trade.

Agreed - they took on bad contracts for draft picks so it's probably not about the money, though duration does make sense. They have 21 players set to hit UFA/RFA next season which is pretty crazy. Perhaps they are looking for a complete refresh of the franchise with 1-2 notable exceptions (mainly Keller).

Agreed - they took on bad contracts for draft picks so it's probably not about the money, though duration does make sense. They have 21 players set to hit UFA/RFA next season which is pretty crazy. Perhaps they are looking for a complete refresh of the franchise with 1-2 notable exceptions (mainly Keller).

the whole thing makes zero sense to me.

the whole thing makes zero sense to me.

Agreed, he is the type of player they should be building around rather than trading - especially if the return is two 1st round draft picks. Not surprising the Coyotes are in the toilet and continue to circle the drain.

Back