Free Agency Thread

8 Worst Contracts Handed Out in Free Agency 2024​

Joel Edmundson​

If you’re confused by what the Los Angeles Kings are doing, welcome to the club. Not every move they made this summer was terrible; adding Warren Foegele to the roster should help. But transactions like signing Joel Edmundson to a four-year deal at a cap hit of $3.8 million will hinder their progress and keep them the 16th-20th best team in the NHL.

Edmundson once had the reputation of being a stout defensive defenseman, but that has changed drastically in recent seasons. His game has taken a steep dive, specifically defensively. His even-strength defense has been worth a goals above replacement (GAR) of minus-7.7 over the last three seasons, and his GAR/expected GAR player card shows his best days are behind him:

A $3.8 million cap hit isn’t the worst, but that’s money you pay someone who could play second-pair minutes. Edmundson is not a top-four defenseman anymore, and the term is particularly problematic. It’s reminiscent of the Columbus Blue Jackets signing Erik Gudbranson to a four-year deal at a cap hit of $4 million, and we know how that’s worked out for the Blue Jackets.

LOL the idea that 2nd pair defensemen get less than 4/yr without being RFA or ELC contracts.....

LOL the idea that 2nd pair defensemen get less than 4/yr without being RFA or ELC contracts.....

On the surface this makes sense. However, just looking through the list of signed UFA Defensemen, I see a number of 2nd pairing D being signed for less than 4mil/yr. Many would have been a better choice than Edmundson.

On the surface this makes sense. However, just looking through the list of signed UFA Defensemen, I see a number of 2nd pairing D being signed for less than 4mil/yr. Many would have been a better choice than Edmundson.
Share this list?

Share this list?

Look up the D that you think could be 2nd pair, then look at their stats for last year and see if they played 18-20 minutes per game to confirm. They are there. It takes a few minutes of work, but they are there.

Look up the D that you think could be 2nd pair, then look at their stats for last year and see if they played 18-20 minutes per game to confirm. They are there. It takes a few minutes of work, but they are there.
Ghost? OEL? These guys all have warts. Everyone that would have been amazing is clearing 5+

Ghost? OEL? These guys all have warts. Everyone that would have been amazing is clearing 5+
What players do not have warts? Many Kings players have warts and make to much money.

Now, you pretty much said there are no 2nd pair UFA signing for 4mil or less. You did not say that had to be "amazing" and probably defensive D. I disagreed with that statement. As you know, different types of defensemen get different $. You missed many, maybe because you cannot believe they signed for so little.

A top end defensive defensemen can get over 5mil to play 2nd pairing minutes. Solid 2nd pairing D can be had for less than 4mil.

Edmundson is a "bottom end" 3rd pairing D making "solid" 2nd pairing D money. I think that was the jist of their comments. What they said was not inaccurate.

What players do not have warts? Many Kings players have warts and make to much money.

Now, you pretty much said there are no 2nd pair UFA signing for 4mil or less. You did not say that had to be "amazing" and probably defensive D. I disagreed with that statement. As you know, different types of defensemen get different $. You missed many, maybe because you cannot believe they signed for so little.

A top end defensive defensemen can get over 5mil to play 2nd pairing minutes. Solid 2nd pairing D can be had for less than 4mil.

Edmundson is a "bottom end" 3rd pairing D making "solid" 2nd pairing D money. I think that was the jist of their comments. What they said was not inaccurate.

Fair enough, I should have used a qualifier of a contender, playoff leader or even 100 point team. I stand by my assertion however that teams with a 4 million dollar UFA second pair signing are filling holes that don't make a difference on their team. Having enough juice to put a 4 million dollar man on the third pair? Well there's a gif for that.....

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Fair enough, I should have used a qualifier of a contender, playoff leader or even 100 point team. I stand by my assertion however that teams with a 4 million dollar UFA second pair signing are filling holes that don't make a difference on their team. Having enough juice to put a 4 million dollar man on the third pair? Well there's a gif for that.....

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Not sure I agree that filling mid sized holes does not make a difference. Look at the 2nd pairing D that were on the 2 teams in the finals this year. You mention OEL, he was great for Florida this past year. He made a difference for that team.

Also, I am not sure why you are trying to compare the Edmundson signing to that of a top end defensemen.

These guys were giving the Kings a hard time for signing that deal. They were not claiming you can get a top end D for 4mil. Can you get a quality D for that price? Yes. Would that D be able to play on the 2nd line of a good team? Yes. Was Blake signing Edmundson to this deal a very stupid thing to do? Yes.

I sure wish he would have found another way to add toughness to this team.

Talking D.......

I have been thinking / wondering about this for a few years now. Do you all remember the player that Roy was in his early years. He was much more physical than he has been of late. He used to go for more hits, more neutral zone hits. Was meaner down low, more punishing in front of the net. It was like he got neutered along the way. He was not the only player. Even Grundstrom became a milder player after joining the Kings.

Anyway, I always missed the old Roy and figured it was Rob and Todd trying to mold this team the way they wanted it to play. If Blake did have a hand in making Roy and this team more mild, his way to fix it is to trade for Jeannot (overpaid, but ok) and sign Edmundson (way to much $ and term for a bad player).

Talking D.......

I have been thinking / wondering about this for a few years now. Do you all remember the player that Roy was in his early years. He was much more physical than he has been of late. He used to go for more hits, more neutral zone hits. Was meaner down low, more punishing in front of the net. It was like he got neutered along the way. He was not the only player. Even Grundstrom became a milder player after joining the Kings.

Anyway, I always missed the old Roy and figured it was Rob and Todd trying to mold this team the way they wanted it to play. If Blake did have a hand in making Roy and this team more mild, his way to fix it is to trade for Jeannot (overpaid, but ok) and sign Edmundson (way to much $ and term for a bad player).
In a nutshell, agree. Tough for Roy and Tonka to be physical and without some form or protection IMO and Englund cant do it alone. Hopefully this opens up some room for the more skilled guys to operate.

All I can think of when I hear Edmunson's first name is:

Do you ever get high, Joel?

Name the movie?

Last edited:
Reading some leafs articles on Edmundson. They call him the "human boat anchor"

And this was from an article grading the Leafs FA deals.

Not Re-Signing Lyubushkin and Edmundson

These two guys combined to get nearly $8 million and while I don't love the things the Leafs did, I very much love that they let these two walk.

Paying all those draft picks just to prevent themselves from scoring goals turned out to be a very bad decision by Brad Treliving, but he makes up for it by not doubling down.

Trelving does seem like the kind of guy who is good at identifying his mistakes and moving on. I like that.

I love that these guys aren't coming back. Not only that, but the Leafs didn't get David Perron, James Riemer or Jake DeBrusk.

All good moves by virtue of not being moves at all.

For not re-upping Lyubushkin and Edmudson, I give them an

A+

Grades for Each of the Toronto Maple Leafs Free-Agency Moves

Last edited:
Back