Holding Court: The Jonathan Quick Trade

P

Pretty Vivid

Lurker

Howdy LGK,

I put together a video taking a different angle at analyzing the trade that shook the fan base. Hope you guys enjoy, and would love to hear your thoughts!

Would appreciate the subscribes if you're into this type of Kings content, got some really cool new things coming to the channel.

Thanks!

Great video!

I for one never stopped booing Blake and will never stop booing Blake.

This is the point I was trying to make, without the full explanation, in that moment of Zen thread I posted.

Great video!

I for one never stopped booing Blake and will never stop booing Blake.

I will NEVER stop booing Blake. JQ deserved so much more respect and reverence from Blake not to be given a heads up that he may possibly be dealt. BTW Rob, how many cups did you win when you were with the Kings?

Great video. Could have Blake handled the Quick trade much better. Yes. But it would have limited the return. Say Blake gave Quick the opportunity to pick which team he would go too. That Team knowing that, would not have offer Blake much in return. Quick is one of many players that has done for the Kings what many others were not able to do and that is helped this team greatly win Two Cups and Kings fans will be forever grateful to him and will always think very highly of Quick. That is fact! Until another goaltender accomplishes what Quick has done for the Kings, he will always be seen as the greatest goaltender the Kings ever have had. But the reality is, there isn't a right way to trade a beloved player such as Quick. Kings fans no matter what would be pissed just hearing the words trade Quick. Fans that stated that Quick should be traded were mocked for saying that here on this site in the past. But this is the reality of the sport. When the Oilers traded the Great One, Gretzky to L.A no one ever thought that he would be traded, were Oiler fans pissed off. You bet they were. But at the end of the day, The GM has to do what is best for the organization in the present and near future. The Gretzky trade proved that no matter how great a player is at some point of their career they become expendable. That is fact and reality. If this trade helps the Kings go deep into the playoffs and who knows with some luck maybe win the Cup. It will go down as a great trade for the Kings. The reality is is this trade strengthened two weakness the kings had at left defense and in net. They couldn't go into the playoffs with just Copely because even as a back up Quick was not getting it done. And I don't say this disrespecfully but as a fact.

Great video. Could have Blake handled the Quick trade much better. Yes. But it would have limited the return. Say Blake gave Quick the opportunity to pick which team he would go too. That Team knowing that, would not have offer Blake much in return. Quick is one of many players that has done for the Kings what many others were not able to do and that is helped this team greatly win Two Cups and Kings fans will be forever grateful to him and will always think very highly of Quick. That is fact! Until another goaltender accomplishes what Quick has done for the Kings, he will always be seen as the greatest goaltender the Kings ever have had. But the reality is, there isn't a right way to trade a beloved player such as Quick. Kings fans no matter what would be pissed just hearing the words trade Quick. Fans that stated that Quick should be traded were mocked for saying that here on this site in the past. But this is the reality of the sport. When the Oilers traded the Great One, Gretzky to L.A no one ever thought that he would be traded, were Oiler fans pissed off. You bet they were. But at the end of the day, The GM has to do what is best for the organization in the present and near future. The Gretzky trade proved that no matter how great a player is at some point of their career they become expendable. That is fact and reality. If this trade helps the Kings go deep into the playoffs and who knows with some luck maybe win the Cup. It will go down as a great trade for the Kings. The reality is is this trade strengthened two weakness the kings had at left defense and in net. They couldn't go into the playoffs with just Copely because even as a back up Quick was not getting it done. And I don't say this disrespecfully but as a fact.

Ya but.. Quickie..

that's all I got for an argument. I think the issue is maybe not the trade, but the response from Quick himself - re: lack of any heads up/notification/prior discussions. I mean if CBJ had Blake by the balls on the phone with a HERE and NOW only offer I guess it makes sense, but I can't see that being a reality. I could be wrong. I don't think Blake would go out of his way to disrespect Quick - which I think is what happened, or I'm just too sentimental, and it's just a business move, and the GM just can't give a F about such things or else he wouldn't be GM. It's a win/lose situation for 2 different parts of my brain.

Great job. He needed more heads up and I’m 100% Quick over Blake… but I think everything got complicated when Quick started to get some wins. Had it been like all year, he could’ve easily been given a heads up a few weeks prior. I could be wrong, but the Rangers start seemed to be a test - maybe he’s actually getting his game together and we don’t have to do it. Then the game was awful and a move had to be made. I WILL say that immediately after that game Blake must’ve known and that was the time to tell him, but that was only a couple of days. Obviously could’ve been handled better, even Blake said so.

Hockey is a business like all other professional sports. The goal (pun intended) is to win championships. Quick wasn't going to help the Kings win. He had to go. Could it have been handled better? Sure. But at the end of the day, Blake made the Kings better. I hate to see Quickie in any other uniform, and his 32 should be hanging in the rafters one day. The Kings wouldn't have 2 Cups without him.

Hockey is a business like all other professional sports. The goal (pun intended) is to win championships. Quick wasn't going to help the Kings win. He had to go. Could it have been handled better? Sure. But at the end of the day, Blake made the Kings better. I hate to see Quickie in any other uniform, and his 32 should be hanging in the rafters one day. The Kings wouldn't have 2 Cups without him.

Anytime a team gives up a 1st and 3rd round pick for active roster players it should make your team better. The question, though, is will they be better in the short term or long term by resigning these guys past the end of the year?

Question: If we lose both as FA at the end of the year, what would constitute success to you?

I will say, though, both guys look very good so far.

Agree with everything said. In addition though, if Quick isnt planning to retire, which by every account ive heard he isnt, then i think the trade is not that big of a deal. He's not retiring. The kings definitely cant bring him back next season. The only issue i have is maybe the fact that you do him the courtesy of making him aware of the possibility, but that's a courtesy that maaaaybe you give him, because he's john mf'ing quick. Most guys wouldnt, and shouldnt be told they are maybe getting traded, because thats generally info you dont want out there. From what ive heard, CBJ leaked teh info, so maybe that plays into it all too.

At the end of the day, its not a great way to watch a legend end their time with the team, but the trade itself maybe isnt shocking considering just how bad he was this season. I would have preferred not to trade him, but i certainly understand and appreciate why the trade was made.

Last edited:
The consensus narrative at the moment seems to be the Quick was more or less blindsided by this trade. Quick has made direct comments suggesting this.

I'm not convinced anyone's take on the trade is true at the moment. Would Quick have some motivation to misrepresent the truth at this point? It's certainly conceivable. Just as conceivable as Blake spinning the story as well.

But Quickie knows he's be horrible all season, he knows Copley has succeeded with a bit of smoke + mirrors, he knows the Kings were trying to improve at the deadline, he knows they would have to move salary to improve the team, he knows it would much easier to move his salary than Cal's...

So even if he had no clue at all or communication from Blake, he should have known that it was a possibility that the Kings would move him.

Either way, I don't trust either side in their particular spins on the trade at this moment.

he knows Copley has succeeded with a bit of smoke + mirrors...

Not sure what you mean by this. There's nothing magical about what Copley is doing. He's big and playing technically sound positioning. And he's doing a good job of tracking the puck. Thats NHL goalie basics. He's an average goaltender doing average things, which is enough to get wins on a decent kings team.

Not sure what you mean by this. There's nothing magical about what Copley is doing. He's big and playing technically sound positioning. And he's doing a good job of tracking the puck. Thats NHL goalie basics. He's an average goaltender doing average things, which is enough to get wins on a decent kings team.

Have said several times Kings can win with average goaltending. Exactly what they got with Copley. No smoke/mirrors, simply goaltending 101. Only Blake and Quick know what was said between them before the trade, if anything. Only Quick seems to be talking. Frankly, don't expect Blake to address it, pretty much a no win situation for him. The team got better, GM 101.

You know Kopitar and doughnut have to be rethinking their retirement plans...and doughnut is fing awful this year posting jmfj numbers....

Ps..the defense is why quick sucked this year..

If I were Quick....I would not let them have a jersey retirement ceremony...until Rob Blake is no longer with the team..

Last edited by a moderator:
You know Kopitar and doughnut have to be rethinking their retirement plans...and doughnut is fing awful this year posting jmfj numbers....

If I were Quick....I would not let them have a jersey retirement ceremony...until Rob Blake is no longer with the team..

You're comparing Drew Doughty to Jack Johnson? Seriously?

Wow. And Copley has done leaps and bounds better than Quick with the same defense. And Copley's a pretty average goalie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anytime a team gives up a 1st and 3rd round pick for active roster players it should make your team better. The question, though, is will they be better in the short term or long term by resigning these guys past the end of the year?

Question: If we lose both as FA at the end of the year, what would constitute success to you?

I will say, though, both guys look very good so far.

Both Korpisalo and Gavrikov are UFAs next season. If both are gone after this year, then this will be one of the worst trades I have ever seen. We'll see if these boys pan out this season, but I find it hard to believe Blake gave up what he did for two players who won't even be on the roster next year.

well if the defense sucks then how do u explain them winning with Copley in net. It is the same defense in front of him

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back