Holding Court: The Jonathan Quick Trade

Quick has made a couple good saves but the defense is so much better as Montreal only has five shots after 1. Quick hasn't broken a sweat.

I doubt that the win streak was a factor. Quick actually played poorly in 2 of the 3 games. He got the win against the Ducks after not being able to hold the lead after Copley was ejected. That third period against Arizona was just awful. Arizona would have won it if they had stopped over passing and just put pucks on net. I was happy for Quick to have a little success at last, but he wasn't really rising to the occasion.

I wonder if McLellan thought it was MSG and Quick's possible last game and decided Quick deserved the start.

I was going to say the why start him? And maybe you’re right but what happens if he pitches a shutout and plays lights out? Good problem to have I guess. I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I wanted to believe so bad that I think so did they. It would explain how things ended up so rushed.

You're comparing Drew Doughty to Jack Johnson? Seriously?

Well, in fairness.

JJ has 0 goals and 4 assists in 58 games, while being a -25.

Drew has 3 goals and 38 assists in 63 games while being a +7.

Their stats are almost identical.

Quick should have known he was gone the second he (reportedly) told Blake he wanted a new contract for next year. He's not stupid. The "issue" of him done bad by Blake is asinine, IMO. You make your bed, you lie in it. It's not all that different than when Marcel tried to bluff Rogie and he ended up at MSG.

Quick should have known he was gone the second he (reportedly) told Blake he wanted a new contract for next year. He's not stupid. The "issue" of him done bad by Blake is asinine, IMO. You make your bed, you lie in it. It's not all that different than when Marcel tried to bluff Rogie and he ended up at MSG.

What is the story with Marcel? Knew he was furious when traded. What was the bluff?

Exactly. I have avoided this thread because I think JQ was special but I just don't see the problem with this trade. It HAD to be made. And, yes, it is very reminiscent of Dionne's departure in a lot of ways. He did ask (bluff) Rogie (GM) to move him but it sort of back-fired on him.

As to what JQ could do for Vegas. If he does help Vegas Blake will probably get villified. However, IMO, JQ would be to blame. Why couldn't he have done that with the Kings this season?

As to well wishing JQ: Nope...not from me. I hope him and Vegas fall on their collective face big time. I have nothing against JQ but I hate Vegas almost as much as Anaheim. So if they go into the toilet I won't be sad.

jom

What is the story with Marcel? Knew he was furious when traded. What was the bluff?

I was never able to figure that out. All I heard was that he asked Rogie to trade him somewhere but it really wasn't serious. Then...BOOM he's gone to New York. I remember Dionne on the news when departing at LAX (I think) and he was in tears. Again, it didn't make much sense to me at the time so maybe someone else could add to this.

jom

As I recall it, he demanded a trade, frustrated that the Kings weren't doing enough to improve the team. He apparently didn't really want to be traded though, but rather wanted them to try to get better instead of going with continuing to add rookies. Rogie promptly traded him. That summer, we traded for Gretzky.

Dionne was traded for Bobby Carpenter and Tom Laidlaw. Carpenter was the big add, but didn't pan out. Laidlaw played a couple of seasons with Gretzky. I think it was a trade was regrettable for both sides. I recall seeing Carpenter break his wrist/hand crashing into the net (back in the days they wouldn't come off the moorings) in an exhibition against a Soviet team.

Both Korpisalo and Gavrikov are UFAs next season. If both are gone after this year, then this will be one of the worst trades I have ever seen. We'll see if these boys pan out this season, but I find it hard to believe Blake gave up what he did for two players who won't even be on the roster next year.

not close to lucic & sekera

When did Quick ask Blake for a new contract for next season? If it was after last season then I would agree, however if it was during this season, I would be shocked if he did.

As I recall it, he demanded a trade, frustrated that the Kings weren't doing enough to improve the team. He apparently didn't really want to be traded though, but rather wanted them to try to get better instead of going with continuing to add rookies. Rogie promptly traded him. That summer, we traded for Gretzky.

Dionne was traded for Bobby Carpenter and Tom Laidlaw. Carpenter was the big add, but didn't pan out. Laidlaw played a couple of seasons with Gretzky. I think it was a trade was regrettable for both sides. I recall seeing Carpenter break his wrist/hand crashing into the net (back in the days they wouldn't come off the moorings) in an exhibition against a Soviet team.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I was an eight year old Oilers fan when that happened.

According to Gretzky, his exit had some similarities. He said make the team better and competitive. Uncle Phil supposedly said he wants more money - just give it to him. He offered more $, Gretzky was insulted and said I want to be traded. Luc left in 2001 after a great season/playoff and being offered a pay cut - he didn’t choose chasing a cup until LA did that to him. We certainly have a way with our legends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or the Butch Goring trade.

Or the Larry Murphy trade.

Or the Alexis Zhitnik trade.

Unfortunately, there's a lot to chose between.

Yeah, some really clunkers. And Lucic and Sekera was 2 trades :)

When did Quick ask Blake for a new contract for next season? If it was after last season then I would agree, however if it was during this season, I would be shocked if he did.

Has he openly talked about looking forward to retirement? He’s not going retire unless no one offers him a job. He’s a competitor he has said it’s not time yet. Would we resign him for a couple more years so he ultimately can finally retire as a lifelong king? Thought we were done with the thank you contracts of the past. We all love Quick but this was an opportunity to get some value for him since he wasn’t going to be resigned.

On the latest KOTP, Hoven says Quick's agent wanted a contract extension after last season, Sounds right, given how well he played last year.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I was an eight year old Oilers fan when that happened.

According to Gretzky, his exit had some similarities. He said make the team better and competitive. Uncle Phil supposedly said he wants more money - just give it to him. He offered more $, Gretzky was insulted and said I want to be traded. Luc left in 2001 after a great season/playoff and being offered a pay cut - he didn’t choose chasing a cup until LA did that to him. We certainly have a way with our legends.

When Gretzky was traded in March 1996 the Kings were just coming off McNall relinquishing ownership of the team and the league taking over. The Kings were nowhere near financially or competitive wise of turning things around. Wayne knew he was in the twilight of his career and wanted one more possible run at a Cup. At the time, I understood him wanting to go and was ok with it and quite frankly his time in LA had run its course by then. I just wish they could have received more in return from St Louis for him.

The Red Wings offered Luc more $$ than the Kings. I wish Luc would have spent his entire career in LA. I thought when he left in 2001 the Kings were on the up tick. If 41 and 28 could have stayed healthy, who knows. Unfortunately, it didn't happen and would be 11 years before the Kings won another playoff series.

Go Kings!!

On the latest KOTP, Hoven says Quick's agent wanted a contract extension after last season, Sounds right, given how well he played last year.

If everyone is so up in arms about Rob Blake trading Quick the way he did, just imagine if Blake had given quick a contract extension last year, and then we were stuck with both Peterson and quick beyond this year in net…

Back