Kings sign Phillip Danault for 6 years

6 years???? Sheesh. Vilardi better start learning to play on the wing in a hurry

This move is so kings....Hopefully I'm proven wrong but I guess it does give relief to the middle. Not sure that he's going to be any more effective than Carter was in this role.

wasn't this guy a pretty solid shut down center or am i thinking of somebody else?

Also this has some pretty big implications for that trio of Vilardi/Byfield/Turcotte. Either 2 of 3 are going to the wing, or somebody is getting traded soon.

This move is so kings....Hopefully I'm proven wrong but I guess it does give relief to the middle. Not sure that he's going to be any more effective than Carter was in this role.

Was Jeff Carter's role to be an elite defensive center, shutting down the opponent's top scoring lines?

Im wondering if the intent here is to give Kopitar more offensive freedom and reduce his workload overall.

Kings need a scoring winger and a defenseman so they sign a defensive center. This is so Kings and so stupid

wasn't this guy a pretty solid shut down center or am i thinking of somebody else?

Also this has some pretty big implications for that trio of Vilardi/Byfield/Turcotte. Either 2 of 3 are going to the wing, or somebody is getting traded soon.

Correct. He's known as the heir apparent to Bergeron as the perennial Selke guy.

Very big overpayment for a guy who has never cracked 15 goals in a season but what are you going to do if you can't make a trade and your kids aren't ready? You overpay.

This is a very similar move to Lombardi overpaying Michal Handzus. Hopefully this signing works out as well.

I like this. It is a high amount but he could become this squads Jarrett Stoll. Great defensively and good feet and hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was Jeff Carter's role to be an elite defensive center, shutting down the opponent's top scoring lines?

Elite defensive centers have lots of talent around them, not one men shows. The habs were doing good work as a 5 man unit with him on the ice in the playoffs. Don't think that's going to automatically happen with the kings. There's a lot of potential here for him to wonder why he's suddenly a minus player compared to before.

Correct. He's known as the heir apparent to Bergeron as the perennial Selke guy.

Very big overpayment for a guy who has never cracked 15 goals in a season but what are you going to do if you can't make a trade and your kids aren't ready? You overpay.

This is a very similar move to Lombardi overpaying Michal Handzus. Hopefully this signing works out as well.

Looks like a bit of an overpayment, but it's basically what they were paying for Carter. I dont think its terrible, and hopefully they can pull extra offense out of Kopitar if they can stack the defensive responsibilities on Denault. But the lack of goal scoring is definitely a concern. He seems to be a 40-50 pt guy though, but we better start getting some wingers that can score. Id say this definitely rules us out of any sort of Eichel trade. Can we still grab Tarasenko?

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad to the comparison of Handzus but I agree it's apt.

It is not a big overpayment, this was his expected contract pretty much. MTL offered the same salary, the Kings just gave him one more year.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back