Kings sign Phillip Danault for 6 years

Im wondering if the intent here is to give Kopitar more offensive freedom and reduce his workload overall.

Kopitar needs bullets in his gun if he's going to have more offensive freedom. Getting that growth from within or without is the biggest concern. Another year of AI and Brown will mean more of the same for him. Not that this past year was terrible for him, but aside from the PP they were struggling to drive the bus at 5 on 5.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad to the comparison of Handzus but I agree it's apt.

Handzus was huge for Kopitar's development and for getting the team back into the Playoffs. Kopitar and Danault will be those guys for Byfield.

Overpaid + extra years for our new 3rd line center.

So many questions for the GM and "the plan" now:

- Does this mean Kopitar will play less on the PK??
- Do JAD and Lizotte get to swap out for 4th line duties?
- Do Vilardi and Byfield compete for 2nd line center duties?
- Do Turcotte/Kupari/Madden get to be Reign centers forever? Or will they finally get moved to the wings for the NHL?
- Or... or... is Danault our new 2nd line center??? ****. He's getting paid like one.

On the bright side, AEG is gonna sell a ton of Danault jerseys, and certainly the internet must be jammed as fans are buying tickets like mad today over this great news!!!

It's been said before, and very true.....Kings are not a destination most top tier UFAs want to go. Sure it's L.A., but the franchise is a mess right now. If you want to win, don't come to L.A.
Trades may be the only way to get significant talent at this point.

Kopitar needs bullets in his gun if he's going to have more offensive freedom. Getting that growth from within or without is the biggest concern. Another year of AI and Brown will mean more of the same for him. Not that this past year was terrible for him, but aside from the PP they were struggling to drive the bus at 5 on 5.

I see no way they can continue to saddle Kopitar with Brown and Iaffalo. Kopitar is strong enough defensively that they should be able to gamble with more offense on his line. At this point, give him Arvidson and Kempe. Move Brown down to the 3rd line, and let Iaffalo play with Denault. But then again, this is the Kings, who just signed a center to go with their other 7 centers, so they'll probably keep Kopi's line intact and then we'll continue to talk about why they can't score goals this coming season.

Well with Edler to help shore the back end on a short term contract I think he's found his poor mans willie mitchell. Not a bad day for blake, arguably very on plan.

Looks like a bit of an overpayment, but it's basically what they were paying for Carter. I dont think its terrible, and hopefully they can pull extra offense out of Kopitar if they can stack the defensive responsibilities on Denault. But the lack of goal scoring is definitely a concern. He seems to be a 40-50 pt guy though, but we better start getting some wingers that can score. Id say this definitely rules us out of any sort of Eichel trade. Can we still grab Tarasenko?

Not terrible and the Kings will have no cap concerns until Byfield needs a new deal. The Kings prospect pool might be filled with Centers but the NHL roster is certainly not. Now the NHL roster has two responsible minute eaters down the middle. Still need to add a winger and a left shot D man.

I don't understand the thinking behind this move, other than freeing up Kopi, but one thing I can tell you for sure: the Kings will be very hard to score on this season with two of the best shutdown centers in the NHL. For the playoffs, Danault was -1, after facing some of the top firepower in the league.

This is a very similar move to Lombardi overpaying Michal Handzus. Hopefully this signing works out as well.

Yeah, but Handzus wasn't signed for 6 years. Handzus on the Kings was an excellent bridge contract which is what was needed more again here. 3-4 years of stronger experience in the middle-6 fwd group.

ufRNZbI.jpg

I'm disappointed. With all the center we have, why???

Sign and trade perhaps?

Nah, Kings gonna keep on Kinging.

Yeah, but Handzus wasn't signed for 6 years. Handzus on the Kings was an excellent bridge contract which is what was needed more again here. 3-4 years of stronger experience in the middle-6 fwd group.

Zus was 30 years old when he signed that 4 year deal, Danault is 28 so the terms aren't ridiculous. Both contracts were their respective biggest deals. It's pretty comparable and not as scary as the first glance. He will be overpaid by the time he's 32, but so will every other 32 yo that's not going to the HOF.

Still need to add a winger and a left shot D man.

They absolutely need scoring from those two positions now. Not sure how they solve that, but it won't be from Edler. I feel like they must be planning to package some prospects/picks for something. Because this creates a serious log jam at a position they were already heavy on, and a defense that was absolutely screaming for help on scoring. In a vacuum, i don't hate either of these moves, and Denault definitely solidies a strong defensive 1-2 punch, but this just really puts a lot of pressure on the team to improve drastically on defense, because it doesn't solve the issue of goals.

yeah a lot of this really hinges on Denault being able to maintain his play driving and defensive metrics. Because in 3-4 years, hopefully teh cap will have gone up a bit and playing him as a 3C won't be that big of adeal, but if he winds up being a liability, then things really go south.

The question comes back to how much was him, vs how much was gallahger and the d pairs behind him. Haven't looked to see how often his unit was out there with Weber but I suspect it wasn't 0 mins.

Zus was 30 years old when he signed that 4 year deal, Danault is 28 so the terms aren't ridiculous. Both contracts were their respective biggest deals. It's pretty comparable and not as scary as the first glance. He will be overpaid by the time he's 32, but so will every other 32 yo that's not going to the HOF.
I think Danault is more Stoll than Handzus. He's another FO stud and skates pretty well.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back