Kings trade down for more picks

Very nice haul. Blake is on a roll.
Is it me, or does it seem that 2 out of 3 moves made by Blake are to fix holes/issues from the other?

I can see it already. 3 years from now we are going to be cursing Blake again because the Habs got lucky and they have a stud youngster in their lineup and the Kings ended up with guys that cannot stick in the NHL. Habs land a player that should have gone top 15, but fell into their laps. The player could have landed in the Kings' lap.

That being said, there are a lot of good players in this draft and depending on who put the list together, players in 18-30 range end up all over the place. One list will have a player at 20, another has the same guy at 30. That always happens, but this draft seems to be on another level.

Is it me, or does it seem that 2 out of 3 moves made by Blake are to fix holes/issues from the other?

I can see it already. 3 years from now we are going to be cursing Blake again because the Habs got lucky and they have a stud youngster in their lineup and the Kings ended up with guys that cannot stick in the NHL. Habs land a player that should have gone top 15, but fell into their laps. The player could have landed in the Kings' lap.

That being said, there are a lot of good players in this draft and depending on who put the list together, players in 18-30 range end up all over the place. One list will have a player at 20, another has the same guy at 30. That always happens, but this draft seems to be on another level.
Well, it's a gamble, right?
It could pay off, or it could be a bust, like you said if Montreal gets a top 15 player at 21st pick.

Blake is making a gamble, same guy, same staff, same front office who gambled on PLD.
Do you trust them with another gamble? I think that is the question.

Smart move. They must feel confident they will get a guy they like at 26 and it gives them a much-needed 2nd round pick.
Have you had a chance to listen to any of the recent Mark Yannetti long form interviews? He’s extremely generous with his insights on the teams scouting philosophy. According to Mark the team sees prospects in terms of groupings not necessarily a top down individual ranking. Why that’s important is if the scouts see a prospect grouping say at 21 through 30 it allows Blake the room to move down and still get his guy.

Well, it's a gamble, right?
It could pay off, or it could be a bust, like you said if Montreal gets a top 15 player at 21st pick.

Blake is making a gamble, same guy, same staff, same front office who gambled on PLD.
Do you trust them with another gamble? I think that is the question.

That is a gamble for sure. The reward for said gamble is the 57th overall pick. 90% of the time those picks do not even make it into the NHL. The staff must be eyeing someone in the 2nd round and really wanted to go after him, or, they just need warm bodies. That is not to exciting for me at this point, as that is the status quo for this org, but when are these "targeted" players ever going to make it to the NHL ice? Has not happened often enough to justify the move this early, IMO. Why not wait to see who is available at 21?

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the recent Mark Yannetti long form interviews? He’s extremely generous with his insights on the teams scouting philosophy. According to Mark the team sees prospects in terms of groupings not necessarily a top down individual ranking. Why that’s important is if the scouts see a prospect grouping say at 21 through 30 it allows Blake the room to move down and still get his guy.

Yeah, I have listened, heard that they had planned to move down to acquire more picks.

He says groupings, but if you watch previous year draft videos (post draft), they always have players they are targeting. So, says one thing, but does another? Or,...... that this their philosophy for this year, due to needing quantity over quality. It has been the other way around from my recollection.

Yeah, I have listened, heard that they had planned to move down to acquire more picks.

He says groupings, but if you watch previous year draft videos (post draft), they always have players they are targeting. So, says one thing, but does another? Or,...... that this their philosophy for this year, due to needing quantity over quality. It has been the other way around from my recollection.
Seems to me that their original approach was targeting players ie: Doughty, Hickey, Simmonds, Teubert, Clifford. Then at some point that approach changed. With the way Dean was trading 1st round picks it makes sense that they change strategies because targeting seems too narrowly focused outside the 1st round.

Last edited:

The thing is, if you're getting someone who ends up being a really good, all-star caliber player at 21, then that means he's probably going to be better than all but a couple picks in the draft, which means, 10-12 other teams missed on him too, and that also means there's a good chance the Kings would have missed on him at 21 if they'd held it. There's always a bunch of guys from late in the first and lower rounds that really break through where you can say "yeah, we missed him, but so did everybody else". Sometimes you get an Adrian Kempe, sometimes you get a Toby Bjornfot.

Seems to me that their original approach was targeting players ie: Doughty, Hickey, Simmonds, Teubert, Clifford. Then at some point that approach changed. With the way Dean was trading 1st round picks it makes sense that they change strategies because targeting seems too narrowly focused outside the 1st round.
Maybe, but I recall a few years ago they moved pics to move down for a player. Many of the names you mentioned were drafted without any draft pic movement. Teubert was the only player that the Kings got a draft pic for, another mistake. So, teams are always targeting players at the draft. It is whether they are aggressive or not in moving into a position to grab who they really want. I guess now they just don't care and take whomever is available. Cannot say that strategy is working out all that great of late.

I just think it could be a wasted opportunity to get a high end talent at 21. The speculation is there may be more D taken in the mid to late teens, then are projected. This could leave some really good forward prospects sliding down into the low 20's. Kings just backed themselves out of that opportunity because they used up all of their draft picks.

Yep, recently listened to his Kings of the Podcast and All The Kings Men interviews.

Big Strapping Bodies!

Maybe, but I recall a few years ago they moved pics to move down for a player. Many of the names you mentioned were drafted without any draft pic movement. Teubert was the only player that the Kings got a draft pic for, another mistake. So, teams are always targeting players at the draft. It is whether they are aggressive or not in moving into a position to grab who they really want. I guess now they just don't care and take whomever is available. Cannot say that strategy is working out all that great of late.

I just think it could be a wasted opportunity to get a high end talent at 21. The speculation is there may be more D taken in the mid to late teens, then are projected. This could leave some really good forward prospects sliding down into the low 20's. Kings just backed themselves out of that opportunity because they used up all of their draft picks.
Dude, we moved down 5 picks. This isn’t 2003, or 2008.

Draft more size, it works, I’ve seen it.

WheresAccording to Yannetti they’re back on the menu!
Season 5 Epiosde 4 GIF by ABC Network

Dude, we moved down 5 picks. This isn’t 2003, or 2008.

Draft more size, it works, I’ve seen it.
I get it, my point really was that Blake needed this move because he already floundered the original draft pics. Otherwise, this is a move that is made during the draft as things unfold.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back