Kings vs Oilers Round 1

The phantom call on Fiala had a lot to do with that.

Time to play playoff hockey. 1-3-1 them to death and choke out their speed. Keep the games close.

Gotta punish them. Their game is going to be to try and run us through the boards, we gotta do the same, and play especially hard on McJesus and Draisaitl.

We need one of the younger guys to take a leap.
The hockey world hates that we run the 1-3-1 because they know we’re really good at it (at times) and we can actually win if it’s executed correctly.

I’m rewatching highlights from Oct. - Dec. and I’m starting to believe…

February 10th wasn’t that long ago, folks.

Last night’s 3rd period letdown is exactly why I had the feeling this team could walk in with unearned over-confidence against the Canucks. I do not fear that with the Oilers, their current biggest rival. Pride can fuel this one if the leaders truly lead. This series will be as much about character as execution.

Last night’s 3rd period letdown is exactly why I had the feeling this team could walk in with unearned over-confidence against the Canucks. I do not fear that with the Oilers, their current biggest rival. Pride can fuel this one if the leaders truly lead. This series will be as much about character as execution.
100% spot-on.

The phantom call on Fiala had a lot to do with that.

Time to play playoff hockey. 1-3-1 them to death and choke out their speed. Keep the games close.

Gotta punish them. Their game is going to be to try and run us through the boards, we gotta do the same, and play especially hard on McJesus and Draisaitl.

We need one of the younger guys to take a leap.
I agree with all of this. What scares me a lot, though, is I feel like Edmonton has figured out the 1-3-1. They seem to hate it and complain about it but now they have answers for it. They've won 6 of the last 7 against the Kings and a lot of those games are losses which IMO fall into the Bally's Sports fallacy category of "we could have won it because we outshot them". I'm pessimistic that the Kings will win the series, but I've been that way for months.

Hopefully Hiller coaches his ass off and a younger guy takes the afformentioned leap in the playoffs.

Hopefully Hiller coaches his ass off and a younger guy takes the afformentioned leap in the playoffs.
Laferriere and Byfield both played their best games in about a month last night. Yes it was against the Blackhawks but the opponent almost doesn’t matter. We just needed to see those two look like they did in Feb/March.

If the Kings can stay out of the box and kill penalties at even an 80% clip they’ve got a shot at winning the series.

If the Kings can somehow overcome the marked advantage the Oinkers...sorry, Oilers...have in physicality and find some consistency in consecutive performances, then, especially with Viktor Arvidsson coming into some really impressive form and the drive he adds to each shift he's out there, we may be able to sneak a vital away game which I agree will definitely as Statue4Deano says sow some seeds of doubt. I just hope Viktor can avoid injury and maintain his stellar momentum and that Arvidsson, Danault and Moore line continue to blossom...and, of course, score. I also feel a whole lot better with Mikey Anderson at the back.

I'd also prefer, as I would have preferred Pheonix Copley last year, David Rittich to start. I cannot believe he and Talbot are the same height. Rittich seems to be calmer, much bigger and plays more upright. He just seems to fill more of the net, while Talbot seems much smaller like, to me, JQ always did. Talbot didn't seem particularly sharp against the Blackhawks either.

With Mr. Hiller, I like his seemingly relaxed, technical style (I mean the way he presents...the language he uses...in his press-meeting analysis), but it feels to me that the team needs someone pushier and more dominant. Maybe we see only the persona, as Head Coach, he presents to the media, but as a person he seems far too philosophical about the unforgiveably offhand performances the team have served up lately, like the Wild and Ducks games, and that paying fans have had to endure. In my opinion, it's time also for PLD to prove to us doubters, both on the ice and, with less emphasis, the scoreboard, why he merits his multi-million dollar salary. I want to love the guy (purely platonically, of course, buddy) and I'm more than ready to have my gut proven wrong. Both me and my gut would welcome a large slice of humble pie for dessert. Like everyone here I just want Mr Dubois to play consistently up to the well above average level at which he was hired to play.

I realise that, as a purely amateur observer, I'm stating a well-trodden obvious when I say I always feel the first playoff game is a double edged sword for the home team. I'm actually not convinced, in my ignorance, that it isn't the visiting team in Game One that has the advantage. The Oilers may well have the home ice and the crowd, but with it comes massive responsibility and pressure and, irrespective of the regular season series, the payoffs...sorry, playoffs...are, as everyone knows, always a step up. In the first series, neither team, until Game One is concluded, can have any real sense of what kind of team they are truly going to be dealing with.

I hope on Monday night the Kings treat the first game as a payoff game, hit the ice skating and really take it to the Oilers right from the getgo. Add pressure to the pressure, I say. Let's take it from there and hope the officials are at the top of their game too and officiate fairly and squarely out there. Every game starts 0-0, so it's all to play for.

May the best team win....
(and the Oilers come second).
Very well analyzed and said. I also think Rittich should play game 1 instead of Talbot. He is more of a calming presence. If it doesn't work out, move to Talbot in game 2.

According to Flake when PLD was acquired, it was for this reason. We'll see if he steps up and as you said plays well enough to merit his salary.

Interesting tidbit in that both teams have new coaches from the past two years. Also, the Kings are healthier (and almost fully healthy) compared to the past two seasons. This finally feels like a fair fight. The OIlers may still prevail, but the Kings can't use injuries as an excuse in that case.

Key areas in this series as I see it:

1. Special teams. Can the Kings keep the Oil from scoring at will on the PP and can they do anything on their own PP? I think this could be the big one.

2. Oilers' breakout. Can the Kings keep pressure on the Oilers' D, which is a bit of a weakness, to keep them from giving good outlet passes which will allow McDavid to come screaming through the neutral zone? Q will be absolutely instrumental here.

3. Goalies. Whose suspect goaltending will hold up better? This could easily decide the series if one goalie either falls apart or suddenly channels 2012 Quick.

4. Coaching. Can Hiller make effective adjustments on the fly? I know he likes to scramble the lines, but I've not seen much evidence of him being an effective in-game coach who's able to adjust strategy to counter the other team's adjustments.

5. A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Can PLD play effectively enough to where his line will give the Oilers problems?

I'd also prefer, as I would have preferred Pheonix Copley last year, David Rittich to start. I cannot believe he and Talbot are the same height. Rittich seems to be calmer, much bigger and plays more upright. He just seems to fill more of the net, while Talbot seems much smaller like, to me, JQ always did. Talbot didn't seem particularly sharp against the Blackhawks either.
Talbot has not had a good April, .894 SV%. He was lit up in the 3rd last night. Rittich has been good for his 2 games this month, .956 SV%. Was hoping Rittich would start against Chicago. He would seem to be the better option at this point.

Talbot has not had a good April, .894 SV%. He was lit up in the 3rd last night. Rittich has been good for his 2 games this month, .956 SV%. Was hoping Rittich would start against Chicago. He would seem to be the better option at this point.
Talbot was awful last night. I was hoping to see Rittich.

Cam faced a grand total of 13 shots and made 9 saves. That ain't gonna cut it.

I hope Hiller starts Rittich Monday. If we can steal that first game, we may just surprise them.

Talbot was awful last night. I was hoping to see Rittich.

Cam faced a grand total of 13 shots and made 9 saves. That ain't gonna cut it.

I hope Hiller starts Rittich Monday. If we can steal that first game, we may just surprise them.
Agreed but it seems like the coaching staff is all in on Talbot being the starter. To me it comes down to confidence in the team. If the coaching staff is confident the team can win they play Rittich who doesn't provide the highs of Talbot (when he's on his game) but has been far more consistent. If the coach staff thinks we need a miracle to win the series, they start Talbot and pray he goes on a hot streak.

How fast after we get beat out of the first round again does Blake and luc get bounced.
This is not the 2012 Kings. We have no Carts, Brown or Quick.

Kempe (and to a lesser degree Fiala) are going to be marked men. Expect the OIL to fully attempt to get juice off his game by trying their bs- Kane, Perry, Nurse et al. Kings gotta somehow match their physicality without imploding on the PK. And take advantage of whatever pps we get...Arvy seems to be flying and hopefully Danault, Moore and QB are getting their grooves back. And for the love of God, PLD show us something, anything.

Talbot is still the #1 but I have a feeling Hiller has a short leash on him. If the Kings go down 0-2 and Talbot gets cooked I expect Rittich will be the Game 3+ starter until he falters.

Echoing Claws, first priority for the kings is the PK, it has to be dominant or it won't matter.

Not only because the kings can't outscore the oil if they are clicking at 50% on the pp, the kings have to play in a way that will take penalties, even the dumb ass offensive zone Fiala ones.

That happens and this team has a chance, it doesn't and I'm rooting for the Rags and Quick.

Kings can beat or lose to any team on any given night. I will be supportive as always but unsurprised if they make an early exit. Expectations have been set accordingly.

Last edited:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom