***LA Kings @ Minnesota Wild GDT 02/21/23 5:00pm on BSW***

I ain't seen a thing out of QB the entire year and am genuinely baffled at why anyone does or why he's taking first line ice time. Barely a 4th liner. As always, I hope he proves me wrong, but the guy seems to go out of his way to get rid of the puck. I don't think I've ever seen him do something impressive. I genuinely don't get it. He's young, I do hope he succeeds, but I don't get it. I'd rather JAD any day. Trade QB if someone wants him.
I wanted Stutzle since day 1, I still don't see anything more than a cautious 4th liner with flashes of offensive upside

I ain't seen a thing out of QB the entire year and am genuinely baffled at why anyone does or why he's taking first line ice time. Barely a 4th liner. As always, I hope he proves me wrong, but the guy seems to go out of his way to get rid of the puck. I don't think I've ever seen him do something impressive. I genuinely don't get it. He's young, I do hope he succeeds, but I don't get it. I'd rather JAD any day. Trade QB if someone wants him.

He's had lots of good moments and lots of times he has looked like he belongs up there. I will grant you this though - that was one brutal game he had and the kind that makes you question the kid.

Byfield was around the play a lot and had a few good carries. Of course none of that went anywhere - just zero danger or impact. To his credit, he still oozes his age and doesn’t look totally comfortable on the ice. That part can’t last forever, at least.

I say this again as someone tough on Kupari but he’s come around enough to play an effective 4th line center role. Lizotte’s having a career year and is doing fine at 3rd C right now. Not ideal and certainly not a contending bottom 6 center lineup, but still the first time in years we can say this team has a third line. What a mess that’s been one center short all this time.

The Kings dictated the pace of the game for huge stretches of time and dominated possession for a majority of it but you have to give the Wild credit for capitalizing on their best chances. Kings only getting 1 power play opportunity made things even more difficult.

Maybe, but so does everyone else. And the Kings have played at .610-.620 the whole season so playing at .600 will be a downgrade especially with 13 of 24 games at home.

Totally agree. The Kings just need to play .600 hockey. Calgary has been playing .55 hockey so they'd need to get hot, along with Minnesota, to push the Kings out.

But I wanted to push back on Ice24's assertion that we just need to expect 3 points on the trip. If the Kings are going to make the playoffs then they need to win some tough games. Beat the Isles and Devils (don't start Quick against them again) and get a split against Rangers and Jets.

Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed the teams would combine for 0 goals in the first and/or for 2 goals in the third:

Both (2 points):
Rusty

0 Goal first (1 point):
CIrvine

2 Goal third (1 point):
srm1105
AngelEyes
notbob
beady eye
DRGinLBC
kingsmen93
Chateau Bow Wow
LeftyKing
Cross Traffic
VegasHockey
JETS GARAGE
Liz4LA
Helvetica

That was a tight game, not the 7-6 marathon but definitely one where Fox wasn't wrong about that playoff atmosphere on the ice. I will say Fiala had a rough night, glad that stick broke because he was fumbling pucks with it all night. Was interesting to see Gabe get the Toddsters trust like that. Would have been better if one of those chances would have worked with him. I don't fault VA for taking that shot in the third, but man that was a flashback to early November watching it rim out for a goal the other way. Pressing and trying too hard means risks, it sucks when they burn you.

The Kings dictated the pace of the game for huge stretches of time and dominated possession for a majority of it but you have to give the Wild credit for capitalizing on their best chances. Kings only getting 1 power play opportunity made things even more difficult.

The absolute inability to penetrate the 1-3-1 was kind of shocking to me.

Byfield was around the play a lot and had a few good carries. Of course none of that went anywhere - just zero danger or impact. To his credit, he still oozes his age and doesn’t look totally comfortable on the ice. That part can’t last forever, at least.

I say this again as someone tough on Kupari but he’s come around enough to play an effective 4th line center role. Lizotte’s having a career year and is doing fine at 3rd C right now. Not ideal and certainly not a contending bottom 6 center lineup, but still the first time in years we can say this team has a third line. What a mess that’s been one center short all this time.

People often cite Kempe when holding out hope for QB to be a similar late-bloomer. The difference is that Juice had always demonstrated star-level skills since his first season with the Monarchs. It was the mental/emotional part of the game that eluded him.

With QB, I just don't see the skill... or physical dominance... or a killer shooting touch. I admit to drinking the Kool-Aid during Byfield's draft year. It was easy to seduced by the highlight reels and the rave reviews resulting from his play in Juniors. But then he was unable to show dominating play in the AHL, and now he has become a role player with very limited effectiveness in the NHL.

I really hope the light comes on for the kid as it did for Kempe 2 years ago. But right now, I don't see QB ever replacing Kopi as the 1C on the Kings. There just aren't enough tools in the toolbox.

The absolute inability to penetrate the 1-3-1 was kind of shocking to me.

Best way to break the modern trap is to get the lead and force them into taking chances. A Kings power play goal in the 1st would've been real helpful. I don't think the Kings made many mistakes last night from the coach down to the 4th line. But there were a couple shifts where the Wild top line abused Lizotte's line including that 1st shift of the 2nd period. Kaprizov is a total gamechanger.

People often cite Kempe when holding out hope for QB to be a similar late-bloomer. The difference is that Juice had always demonstrated star-level skills since his first season with the Monarchs. It was the mental/emotional part of the game that eluded him.

With QB, I just don't see the skill... or physical dominance... or a killer shooting touch. I admit to drinking the Kool-Aid during Byfield's draft year. It was easy to seduced by the highlight reels and the rave reviews resulting from his play in Juniors. But then he was unable to show dominating play in the AHL, and now he has become a role player with very limited effectiveness in the NHL.

I really hope the light comes on for the kid as it did for Kempe 2 years ago. But right now, I don't see QB ever replacing Kopi as the 1C on the Kings. There just aren't enough tools in the toolbox.

Meanwhile, Stutzle is the NHL's first star of the week. 26 goals and 33 assists.

Meanwhile, Stutzle is the NHL's first star of the week. 26 goals and 33 assists.

I don't follow prospects but even looking at QB's stat sheet - I guess he had one good year in juniors? I didn't see anything else that popped out. I think giving him time to grow is great, but not on the first line. I'd much rather that be a top tier scoring/shutdown line with someone like Vilardi than have it be a kind of.. teaching line. QB may even benefit with Fiala - as everyone else seems to do, but I'd have him learning the ropes and the big boy game on the 4th line. QB tries to do too much while doing nothing at all. I think they need to find a way to simplify his game to get him comfortable.

I don't follow prospects but even looking at QB's stat sheet - I guess he had one good year in juniors? I didn't see anything else that popped out. I think giving him time to grow is great, but not on the first line. I'd much rather that be a top tier scoring/shutdown line with someone like Vilardi than have it be a kind of.. teaching line. QB may even benefit with Fiala - as everyone else seems to do, but I'd have him learning the ropes and the big boy game on the 4th line. QB tries to do too much while doing nothing at all. I think they need to find a way to simplify his game to get him comfortable.

I think you're about to get your wish; when Grundstrom comes back Byfield will be C4 as I understand.

Living in Ottawa and hearing about this guy all the time, mayyyybe it's just me, but.... surely all those people around here saying "this is what was supposed to happen," concede that none of us and none of Kings' staff thought Stutzle would be THIS good, right? Because if you thought he was going to be THIS good, maybe you don't take the chance on a project? Different player - got it. Different position - got it. Maybe if we had Stutzle, we wouldn't have got Fiala - check, check, check - got it. But if you could have had a crystal ball to see how he's playing and his stats - this is the player we would've taken.... or are we actually still pretending that no, everyone knew this already and this is playing out (minus injury setbacks) exactly as planned? We seriously believe that with a do over, the same draft pick is made? Genuinely curious what people think on this.

Living in Ottawa and hearing about this guy all the time, mayyyybe it's just me, but.... surely all those people around here saying "this is what was supposed to happen," concede that none of us and none of Kings' staff thought Stutzle would be THIS good, right? Because if you thought he was going to be THIS good, maybe you don't take the chance on a project? Different player - got it. Different position - got it. Maybe if we had Stutzle, we wouldn't have got Fiala - check, check, check - got it. But if you could have had a crystal ball to see how he's playing and his stats - this is the player we would've taken.... or are we actually still pretending that no, everyone knew this already and this is playing out (minus injury setbacks) exactly as planned? We seriously believe that with a do over, the same draft pick is made? Genuinely curious what people think on this.

I thought he was going to be a 30 goal 60 point liability on the ice. Maybe get a 80 point season on a hot pp and be - 20. But ultimately he was going to be the allstar rep, not the allstar team selection at the end of the season.

I think he's right around where his projection was at the time of the draft. That's why he was going to be a 2nd or 3rd overall. The guy just oozed "special."

On the same note even if the Kings did pick Stuzle, he would not have been on the 1st line as he has been since landing in Ottawa on a team that was in the beginning of a rebuild.

Totally agree. The Kings just need to play .600 hockey. Calgary has been playing .55 hockey so they'd need to get hot, along with Minnesota, to push the Kings out.

But I wanted to push back on Ice24's assertion that we just need to expect 3 points on the trip. If the Kings are going to make the playoffs then they need to win some tough games. Beat the Isles and Devils (don't start Quick against them again) and get a split against Rangers and Jets.

True. Actually in looking at it, if the Kings play .600 hockey the rest of the way, Calgary has to play .750 hockey to pass us. If the Kings only play .550 hockey the rest of the way, Calgary still has to play .666 hockey to pass us. Every point matters for sure.

True. Actually in looking at it, if the Kings play .600 hockey the rest of the way, Calgary has to play .750 hockey to pass us. If the Kings only play .550 hockey the rest of the way, Calgary still has to play .666 hockey to pass us. Every point matters for sure.

Is Calgary all we gotta worry about? I guess so - between the Wild and the Avs the playoffs sorta look like a lock for a certain 8 teams unless Calgary goes nuts. Surely I hope the Kings get divison #1 , but I'd like them absolutely to be in top 3.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back