PLD and how I learned to quit worrying about the bomb

s-l1600.jpg
But why male models?

Because Fiala is also the perfect Hansel.

Also on the other side of the PL wheel, I’m not too proud - this helps:

IMG_3852.jpeg

Prior to this Gabe slumping. 1 goal and 1 hit in five games despite playing around 18 minutes a game. Will be getting less time in this one.

I've been trying to find the words to describe his style of play...and this nailed it!!! Thank you.
It's so frustrating as he's such a good player when he want to be like the playoff series vs Tampa while he was in Columbus, he was unreal in that series.

It's so frustrating as he's such a good player when he want to be like the playoff series vs Tampa while he was in Columbus, he was unreal in that series.
Let’s be honest, this is shades of Kopitar throughout his career as well. The thing about it is, Kopitar is so good that even when he’s playing at 75%, he is still a coaches dream from a defensive standpoint. If he hustled and chased after those offensive points the same way a lot of other high-end forwards do, I think we’d see him well north of the point per game status he’s put up throughout the majority of his career. For instance, after his recent 5 to 6 game slump, his effort levels definitely seemed to be back up for a few of those games recently, due to the direness of the situation. Also, you can probably credit his longevity to this approach to the game, where he plays 80% throughout the regular season, then steps it up in the playoffs. I can’t say he’s absolutely wrong to protect his career this way, and it has behooved us as fans, to enjoy his extra longevity and the fact that he’s still a very productive player on the back end of his career, but it’s hard not to ponder what could’ve been, if Kopitar played every game, every season, like Blake Lizotte. Definitely a trade-off there, in terms of risk/reward.

Now, does this translate directly to PLD? I think not, but I’m just positing the idea that his mindset might be similar in terms of ‘ saving it for the meaningful games’

Let’s be honest, this is shades of Kopitar throughout his career as well. The thing about it is, Kopitar is so good that even when he’s playing at 75%, he is still a coaches dream from a defensive standpoint. If he hustled and chased after those offensive points the same way a lot of other high-end forwards do, I think we’d see him well north of the point per game status he’s put up throughout the majority of his career. For instance, after his recent 5 to 6 game slump, his effort levels definitely seemed to be back up for a few of those games recently, due to the direness of the situation. Also, you can probably credit his longevity to this approach to the game, where he plays 80% throughout the regular season, then steps it up in the playoffs. I can’t say he’s absolutely wrong to protect his career this way, and it has behooved us as fans, to enjoy his extra longevity and the fact that he’s still a very productive player on the back end of his career, but it’s hard not to ponder what could’ve been, if Kopitar played every game, every season, like Blake Lizotte. Definitely a trade-off there, in terms of risk/reward.

Now, does this translate directly to PLD? I think not, but I’m just positing the idea that his mindset might be similar in terms of ‘ saving it for the meaningful games’
I actually see the opposite, to me Kopitar has never been short on effort nor does he give only 80% during the regular season. What Kopitar does, however, is actively work to not place himself in a defensively liable situation. What I feel you see as lack of effort in the offensive zone, I see as being extremely responsible as a center and placing priority on helping out defensively.

I will agree with you, though, that if Kopitar threw his defensive mindset out the window he could be quite a bit north of 1 point per game. He's also be half the player he has been over his career, though, all things accounted for.

I actually see the opposite, to me Kopitar has never been short on effort nor does he give only 80% during the regular season. What Kopitar does, however, is actively work to not place himself in a defensively liable situation. What I feel you see as lack of effort in the offensive zone, I see as being extremely responsible as a center and placing priority on helping out defensively.

I will agree with you, though, that if Kopitar threw his defensive mindset out the window he could be quite a bit north of 1 point per game. He's also be half the player he has been over his career, though, all things accounted for.
I suppose maybe you could say rather than 80% effort, he’s just leaning towards playing a conservative game, rather than aggressive style. He has definitely gone well out of his way to avoid body contact throughout his career though, no doubt. It shows, in how much leeway defending opponents give him around the opposition net. Almost never do you see anyone “give him the business “when he’s hovering around their goalie on a stoppage.

He did not participate fully, so there is a good chance that he will not. He is getting close though.
No way. He'll have to do 3-4 full practices. And when he does get back, he'll be rusty as hell, he will not be the same Arvy for probably at least 3-4 weeks, quite possibly a lot longer.

No way. He'll have to do 3-4 full practices. And when he does get back, he'll be rusty as hell, he will not be the same Arvy for probably at least 3-4 weeks, quite possibly a lot longer.
Yeah, I was trying to be "softer" on my response. During practice he was swapping places with JAD on the 4th line and only did some of the other drills.

I see what you are saying, I'll probably lose people on this analogy but he's kind of like Franco Harris who would routinely run out of bounds in the regular season and then in the playoffs run through you in the big games. I'm blown away though about his at least on paper lack of caring and I'm fan of his. That Nashville game he was literally skating around with one hand on his stick making minimal effort and it's like bro we need more from you. By all accounts he's a great guy and if making $2,500,000 it would not be so bad but at 8,500,000 he's stealing from the Kings.

I see what you are saying, I'll probably lose people on this analogy but he's kind of like Franco Harris who would routinely run out of bounds in the regular season and then in the playoffs run through you in the big games. I'm blown away though about his at least on paper lack of caring and I'm fan of his. That Nashville game he was literally skating around with one hand on his stick making minimal effort and it's like bro we need more from you. By all accounts he's a great guy and if making $2,500,000 it would not be so bad but at 8,500,000 he's stealing from the Kings.

you lost me at "analogy"

Maybe TMac really just was not the coach for this guy.. one game but.. interesting:

"
On his performance tonight and his challenge in coming back off the break
Coming back from a break, I think I probably lost 12 pounds tonight. Yeah, it’s never easy. We went on the ice two or three times to get back but the coaching staff here, the first day I got back, they challenged me, they challenged me to be a better player out there and to be a difference maker. That can come with scoring goals, assists but it could also come with hits, drawing penalties, all the the things that maybe not everybody notices. Since they’ve come in, their message is that I can do a lot better and I knew that, but to have it laid out like that, it’s a fun challenge to do.
"

PLD played within his role last night and the team was so much better because of it. I think it’s important to resist the urge to think he suddenly flipped some switch.

Yes he played with a bit more jump but his play has been trending this way, at times, for the last month or so.

I just want to see some consistency out of him because he’s clearly got the tools to be an impact player.

Maybe TMac really just was not the coach for this guy.. one game but.. interesting:

"
On his performance tonight and his challenge in coming back off the break
Coming back from a break, I think I probably lost 12 pounds tonight. Yeah, it’s never easy. We went on the ice two or three times to get back but the coaching staff here, the first day I got back, they challenged me, they challenged me to be a better player out there and to be a difference maker. That can come with scoring goals, assists but it could also come with hits, drawing penalties, all the the things that maybe not everybody notices. Since they’ve come in, their message is that I can do a lot better and I knew that, but to have it laid out like that, it’s a fun challenge to do.
"
From hillers presser, he mentioned he talked to 2 players. Pld I guess was one of them. Long time coming.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back