PLD and how I learned to quit worrying about the bomb

For my money the terrible execution of offensive chances has directly led to several of the goals against which has made them 2 goal swings. The fact that this team has lost 7 games after leading by 2, 5 games after leading by 1 is just so damn weird. Especially considering they actually do have a good record when leading going into the third with only 3 OT losses and no regulations losses. This team has had the yips and it's flowed into all aspects of their game.

When Todd came in this team was allowed to open things up offensively, and we all craved it. Gone were the 50 shots from the point per game with 25 getting through, and various rebound sequences. Legit golden road passing was taking place and it felt like a step out of the dark ages. Now griping about Fiala fiddling with the puck near the blue line has become everyones favorite kvetch since they can no longer bemoan Durzi's aggressive nature. Watching PLD stand upright on ice, because that's what he does, is probably a close second. But really what we are all wanting to see more of is play directed toward the net instead of turnovers when everyone is going the other way. People crashing to the net (PLD) for puck retrieval when they make an entry and the winger gets a shot off on net. A simpler game is truly whats been craved instead of trying so many hope plays. How would that best be manifested?

2-1 where theres no clear passing lane across? Fine, shoot it off the pad if you don't think you've got the goalie beat

Being forced wide on entry? Ok carry to the corner for the cycle instead of turning back up at the dot

Rebound comes out to you with lots of traffic? Sneaky wrister back into the hole instead of passing back up to the point, you had traffic for christs sake, use it!

Some of this is game management, some of this is doing the 'harder" tihng and some of this is being ok with getting a stat if it goes in (its not selfish to do the right thing for the team). Anyway I stand by my original post that it's up to this new staff to figure out how best to play with this toy. The underlying stats are there, there's past performance that should be repeatable, it's up to coaches to deploy their resources in the best way to maximize them. Lets not pretend this team is a grinding behemoth of a defensive stalwart. These players thrive on having the puck and being rewarded. When they do all the other structure and blocked shots happen naturally. This group is not going to succeed by sitting in the defensive zone proving they can be a punching bag.

Last edited:
In 5 on 5 situations:

Kings goalies had an .889 save percentage in January.

Kings were #2 in scoring chances for/60 in the month of January. They were #15 in scoring chances allowed/60.

They were #30 in goals for/60 and #30 in goals allowed/60.
Timing matters. You can’t just throw out stats without context. It’s like how the Kings consistently suck in the second period. Sure, we can talk about the full 60 minutes but if you want them to improve their second periods, then you need to talk about their second periods. Same thing for when they have the lead. I’m not saying goaltending is good but they very clearly struggle to hold onto leads and it goes back further than this year. They are not a lock-it-down team like the Lombardi teams were. A lot of it has to do with the forwards (no cycle game) and system (prevent defense) they play.

Maybe Hiller can get Dubois to compete for every second of the game. He'd probably get closer to his expected goal total if he was working harder and doing the little things.
Dubois does not have that mindset. He plays in spurts and has done so for his career. We just have to hope he adds more spurts to his game. He does not have the tenacity like we believe he should, to allow his big strapping body to dominate. It's just not in him, it will drive you nuts because he is gifted with size, however, he is gentle.

If "abysmal" goaltending and scoring combined with average defense isn't a collapse I'm not sure what is? Do all three categories have to rate abysmal?
Goal scoring is influenced by luck. The rate at which the team generates chances is not. That’s the offensive system. They continued to produce offensive chances in Jan. near the rate they did during the first 30 games of the season. But goal scoring went down. That’s puck luck. Btw they also out-chanced the opposition during the entire month. Not exactly what I’d traditionally consider a collapse.

The team did allow an uptick in scoring chances in January but it wasn’t anywhere near the collapse in goaltending save percentage first 30 games vs. games in Jan. (Also puck luck)

Kings Jan. goaltending was very bad so we can consider some of that puck luck too. However we also know that Talbot performed significantly above his career stats in the first 30 games of the season. He hit the regression wall over his last 10 starts. Hopefully Rittich gets some more starts and one of them gives us average goaltending.

Last edited:
Not sure I can fully get behind this as Rittich has not been average, or even below average, though Talbot has been. Where the argument on goaltending falls apart for me, though, is that in the wins we did get in Jan Rittich had to stand on his head to do so.

I do agree with the goal scoring comment, however, which is where the true failure is (along with McLellan not shifting from Talbot to Rittich soon enough).

The other glaring weakness was Clarke on defense. Clarke just doesn't have it yet in the defensive zone and the team fared far better when Spence was in the lineup and Clarke was out.

It'll be interesting to see what Hiller can do with the team and if he can get team buy in. It also may be a good time to evaluate the leadership effectiveness of those wearing the "C" and "A" and potentially make a change, if warranted.
I’m in complete agreement with your last sentence but there is absolutely no way Kopi is relieved of the ‘C’ before he retires. That said this team needs the ancillary leadership that the cup teams had. Justin Williams…Matt Greene…Willie Mitchell…even Stoll. None of whom would have tolerated a two win month from a team with this much talent. Bring in all the new coaching you want…team core leadership is the biggest problem IMHO.

I’m in complete agreement with your last sentence but there is absolutely no way Kopi is relieved of the ‘C’ before he retires. That said this team needs the ancillary leadership that the cup teams had. Justin Williams…Matt Greene…Willie Mitchell…even Stoll. None of whom would have tolerated a two win month from a team with this much talent. Bring in all the new coaching you want…team core leadership is the biggest problem IMHO.

I love Kopitar but I never believed him to be a captain, for however much that letter on the jersey matters. Yes he dictates with his play but there's no way he's a vocal leader like those players mentioned. I think getting the wrong "look" from Quick during 2012-14 probably made some people play a bit harder :D

Very interesting. On the surface, this has me hating this trade even more.

“I know after talking to him, he was very pleased with the trade we made with the L.A. Kings,” Bowness said of his goaltender Thursday as the 2024 NHL All-Star festivities began, thinking back to the off-season that set up Winnipeg’s revival. “He wanted to make sure that we were invested in winning the Stanley Cup. He told us after the season — the Vezina, yeah, the money, yeah, but he wants to win the Stanley Cup."

Bowness on why Dubois trade helped convince Hellebuyck to re-sign with Jets

Is this painting a picture that some of the Jets palyers did not think they could win with Wheeler and Dubois on the team? I found it kind of odd at the time when 4 players wanted to jump ship. 2 players left and the other two turned around and signed long term deals.

Last edited:
Very interesting. On the surface, this has me hating this trade even more.

“I know after talking to him, he was very pleased with the trade we made with the L.A. Kings,” Bowness said of his goaltender Thursday as the 2024 NHL All-Star festivities began, thinking back to the off-season that set up Winnipeg’s revival. “He wanted to make sure that we were invested in winning the Stanley Cup. He told us after the season — the Vezina, yeah, the money, yeah, but he wants to win the Stanley Cup."

Bowness on why Dubois trade helped convince Hellebuyck to re-sign with Jets

Is this painting a picture that some of the Jets palyers did not think they could win with Wheeler and Dubois on the team? I found it kind of odd at the time when 4 players wanted to jump ship. 2 players left and the other two turned around and signed long term deals.
I will add this.....

This year the Kings were a top team for 30ish games, then hit a huge slump. The Jets were a top team for 41 games last year, then they hit a slump and almost missed the playoffs.

Dubois does not have that mindset. He plays in spurts and has done so for his career. We just have to hope he adds more spurts to his game. He does not have the tenacity like we believe he should, to allow his big strapping body to dominate. It's just not in him, it will drive you nuts because he is gifted with size, however, he is gentle.
This is probably the best analysis of Dubois I've seen yet as he does give you a shift or two every game where you are like this is what we are paying him 8.5 for and then follows them up like he went to The Petr Klima School Of Defense.

To me he's like the girl who thinks she can change the guy who always cheats and then it happens to her. The Kings probably thought we are the team that can get him to play like he did in Columbus in that one playoff series against Tampa where he was unstoppable and so far they haven't. Like I don't think I've ever seen a player skate in game like it's pre game warmups, he makes Klima look like Patrice Bergeron.

PLD heard Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax" at a pivotal age and ever since has been living up to that title regardless of the stakes at hand. :mhihi: :cheers
:ROFLMAO:

So, your saying that when Todd was yelling from the bench to get in on the forecheck, in the back of PLD's mind was "Relax, don't do it".

This explains everything.

PLD heard Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax" at a pivotal age and ever since has been living up to that title regardless of the stakes at hand. :mhihi: :cheers

Ah yes, Zoolander Syndrome™

PLD in his head:
Blue Steel GIF

PLD on the ice:
Ben Stiller GIF

Last edited:

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back