Some Reality Checks

Bojanglz

3rd Line Winger
Just to share, I have been a Kings fan since 82 (a die hard one and even played in Norwalk and Paramount before Gretzky came to LA). I even cheered them on during the Khristich era had multiple license plates related to Kings etc. So yes I am a die hard fan and imo true fans will rip on their team when they play like how they have.

I keep seeing people trying to bring up the 2012 team and this team because the 2012 team won the Cup as the #8 seed. What people fail to remeber is the fact that the 2012 team was LOADED with leadership which this team has ZERO leadership. You had guys like a younger/hungrier Kopitar, Brown, Quick, younger/hungrier Doughty, Richards, Carter, Scuderi, Williams (one of the best leaders), Mitchell, Stoll, etc. Also, that team played with soooo much passion and heart. They were also HOT after the All Star break which teams like that usually play like that in the playoffs. This Kings team lacks all of that. They sucked in the final stretch. Kept being inconsistent since the break.

Another thing is I see a lot of hate for Fiala. Yes, he turns over the puck etc. but my lord, he reminds me of a Palffy in a way. I have seen him back down defenders. He has great speed and skill. He has an amazing shot and can make great passes most of the time. AND he actually shoots the puck. Yes he needs to work on maybe not such hard passes at times and work on less turnovers, but he gives it his all every shift.

Lastly, this coach should NOT be the head coach next season. He keeps a cold goalie in and keeps starting him. He sticks to a 1 3 1 even when down. Blake needs to go too since he has screwed this team for years and maybe a new GM can fix some of it.

I personally feel Danault should wear the C next year. Arvidsson (they need to keep for a short term contact to start) should wear an A because he plays 100% always (when healthy) and Kempe (maybe wear the A if the Kings re-sign arvi and he gets hurt) or Gavrikov should wear an A. Time to let Kopitar and Doughty go and try and trade them (yes they still produced but like Chi when they let Kane and Toews go) and try and find anyways to get rid of PLD. Maybe re-sign Rittich unless they can get a long term star goalie. And then with the extra money get a goalie, another scored and a top 4 D. Also, let Lewis go already.

Get rid of Blake who screwed the Kings. DL did also but he brought us 2 Cup in 3 years and almost a 3pete where we were 1 round away from going to the Cup again back to back. Move Luc to a PR role and has no control over hiring management etc.

Agree or disagree it is fine. Won't change my opinion but overall, don't compare the 2012 Kings Cup win to this team. That team was miles ahead of this team.

Ah, Paramount and Norwalk. Brings back memories. Was kind of sad that back then the best place to get gear was Norwalk Ice Rink.

Yeah, I do not get the attempts to compare this team to the 2012 team There is really nothing to compare between the two seasons.

I do not disagree with anything you have said. Maybe missing is the fact that the Kings should get rid of Luc and Bergevin as well as Blake. I am sure that those 2 were involved with Blake going after PLD.

Just to share, I have been a Kings fan since 82 (a die hard one and even played in Norwalk and Paramount before Gretzky came to LA). I even cheered them on during the Khristich era had multiple license plates related to Kings etc. So yes I am a die hard fan and imo true fans will rip on their team when they play like how they have.

I keep seeing people trying to bring up the 2012 team and this team because the 2012 team won the Cup as the #8 seed. What people fail to remeber is the fact that the 2012 team was LOADED with leadership which this team has ZERO leadership. You had guys like a younger/hungrier Kopitar, Brown, Quick, younger/hungrier Doughty, Richards, Carter, Scuderi, Williams (one of the best leaders), Mitchell, Stoll, etc. Also, that team played with soooo much passion and heart. They were also HOT after the All Star break which teams like that usually play like that in the playoffs. This Kings team lacks all of that. They sucked in the final stretch. Kept being inconsistent since the break.

Another thing is I see a lot of hate for Fiala. Yes, he turns over the puck etc. but my lord, he reminds me of a Palffy in a way. I have seen him back down defenders. He has great speed and skill. He has an amazing shot and can make great passes most of the time. AND he actually shoots the puck. Yes he needs to work on maybe not such hard passes at times and work on less turnovers, but he gives it his all every shift.

Lastly, this coach should NOT be the head coach next season. He keeps a cold goalie in and keeps starting him. He sticks to a 1 3 1 even when down. Blake needs to go too since he has screwed this team for years and maybe a new GM can fix some of it.

I personally feel Danault should wear the C next year. Arvidsson (they need to keep for a short term contact to start) should wear an A because he plays 100% always (when healthy) and Kempe (maybe wear the A if the Kings re-sign arvi and he gets hurt) or Gavrikov should wear an A. Time to let Kopitar and Doughty go and try and trade them (yes they still produced but like Chi when they let Kane and Toews go) and try and find anyways to get rid of PLD. Maybe re-sign Rittich unless they can get a long term star goalie. And then with the extra money get a goalie, another scored and a top 4 D. Also, let Lewis go already.

Get rid of Blake who screwed the Kings. DL did also but he brought us 2 Cup in 3 years and almost a 3pete where we were 1 round away from going to the Cup again back to back. Move Luc to a PR role and has no control over hiring management etc.

Agree or disagree it is fine. Won't change my opinion but overall, don't compare the 2012 Kings Cup win to this team. That team was miles ahead of this team.
Plus, the game has changed tremendously since 2012. We were a big heavy team that could win with a 2-1 low scoring game. We were lucky enough to have the best American goalie of all time, Jonathan Quick now we have scraps.

Is anyone comparing this team to the 2012 team? This entire roster doesn't have the heart of a JDub or skill of a JQuick, among many others including the leadership of Brown. You could almost write a compare and contrast essay on each player and their role from 2012 to 2024 - total opposite day.

I think 131 and the players that go along with it (slow) have no place in the league anymore. Oilers see 131 and laugh their asses off. It's a skill league and we have no skill besides maybe Fiala sometimes, Byfield who is on his way, and glimpses of Clarke.

Is anyone comparing this team to the 2012 team? This entire roster doesn't have the heart of a JDub or skill of a JQuick, among many others including the leadership of Brown. You could almost write a compare and contrast essay on each player and their role from 2012 to 2024 - total opposite day.

I think 131 and the players that go along with it (slow) have no place in the league anymore. Oilers see 131 and laugh their asses off. It's a skill league and we have no skill besides maybe Fiala sometimes, Byfield who is on his way, and glimpses of Clarke.
We have some skill, we just play a system that does not effectively utilize it.

We have some skill, we just play a system that does not effectively utilize it.
is this true though? Like, what is it about the system that is limiting them, and how? They were near the top of the league in goals per game for the first 20-ish games? They still sit middle of the pack, next to teams like WIN and Vegas in goals per game. They have one of the stingiest defenses.

The issue, as i see it, isnt the system at all, but the team's consistency. We've seen consistency issues the past three seasons, albeit in smaller stretches than the crazy streaks we saw this season. Quick decision making, quick passing, and being assertive are the elements i think separating this team from being really good right now. Some nights they have that, and they perform well. Some nights they seem to be incapable of connecting on simple passes. And i have my theories on why that is (hiller's blender lines i think are way over used)

Last night was not a system issue limiting their scoring. They simply played bad most of the night, and the oilers were the faster and hungrier team. And you have to credit the oilers for being an offensive juggernaut. How many teams can boast the sheer volume of weapons they have? Not to mention having arguably the best player in the game right now, along with another top 5 forward.

I would suggest that the real issue with their 1-3-1, against a team like edmonton, is that they do give McD the opportunity to get the puck low in the oilers zone and allow him to generate a full head of steam coming through the neutral zone. That's a structural limitation that they have to address specifically against THIS oilers team, with a guy who is like the fastest skater in the league, as well as being so good that he can literally skate through 5 guys at any given moment.

If they want to win this series, they need to play faster and cleaner than they have in gm's 1 and 3, and they need to stay out of the box. And it's too late now to fix the PP, but im sure that will be a talking point when the season ends, whether they win this series or not, because that has literally been one of tehir biggest momentum killers all season. But this is an oilers team that is a favorite to win the cup. It's not an easy matchup.

If they want to win this series, they need to play faster and cleaner…
There it is. Forego the system so we can play faster and (hopefully) cleaner.

We need to just let loose at this point.

The only reality check you need:

The Oilers are significantly better the Kings. They have a better roster. They have better coaching. They have better scouting. They have better management.

Edmonton is just better.

Can they lose the series? Yes. Will they lose? Nope.

Last edited:
is this true though? Like, what is it about the system that is limiting them, and how? They were near the top of the league in goals per game for the first 20-ish games? They still sit middle of the pack, next to teams like WIN and Vegas in goals per game. They have one of the stingiest defenses.

The issue, as i see it, isnt the system at all, but the team's consistency. We've seen consistency issues the past three seasons, albeit in smaller stretches than the crazy streaks we saw this season. Quick decision making, quick passing, and being assertive are the elements i think separating this team from being really good right now. Some nights they have that, and they perform well. Some nights they seem to be incapable of connecting on simple passes. And i have my theories on why that is (hiller's blender lines i think are way over used)

Last night was not a system issue limiting their scoring. They simply played bad most of the night, and the oilers were the faster and hungrier team. And you have to credit the oilers for being an offensive juggernaut. How many teams can boast the sheer volume of weapons they have? Not to mention having arguably the best player in the game right now, along with another top 5 forward.

I would suggest that the real issue with their 1-3-1, against a team like edmonton, is that they do give McD the opportunity to get the puck low in the oilers zone and allow him to generate a full head of steam coming through the neutral zone. That's a structural limitation that they have to address specifically against THIS oilers team, with a guy who is like the fastest skater in the league, as well as being so good that he can literally skate through 5 guys at any given moment.

If they want to win this series, they need to play faster and cleaner than they have in gm's 1 and 3, and they need to stay out of the box. And it's too late now to fix the PP, but im sure that will be a talking point when the season ends, whether they win this series or not, because that has literally been one of tehir biggest momentum killers all season. But this is an oilers team that is a favorite to win the cup. It's not an easy matchup.
I get your points. The Kings are a defend first team and when the get to the offensive zone they try to cycle the puck, but never seem to be to worried about getting the puck to the net. Not sure if that is by design, or just player's insecurities and their need to stay within 5 feet of the boards. Kings play more of a puck possession game on the forecheck. Not get the puck get it to the net.

This team really has no top level mobile defensemen. Doughty is ok these days, Spence is better. Everyone else on the back end is an anchor. Hard to get through the neutral zone and generate offense that way, unless you're the oilers and you just have McJesus pick up the puck behind the net and skate through the neutral zone at 75MPH.

So, I guess it can be looked as a skill issue, as the Kings lack skill on the backend. However, that is by design, as the D the Kings have are a good fit for the 1-3-1. It is just that the 1-3-1 aint working no more.

As far as mobile D, Roy tries to force the issue at times by leaving the zone early and catching the other team sleeping. It was really bad during the Kings slump as he was out of position more times than not. He stopped doing it after Doughty in a media scrum said "players on this team are more interested in points than winning". Before Drew said that, Roy on more than one occasion left Gavi back by himself to deal with 2 forecheckers. Many people feel Drew was saying that about Fiala, but I think it was as much or more Roy. Rant over......

Last edited:
The only reality check you need:

The Oilers is significantly better the Kings.
It’s really McDavid, that elite, generational talent, we’ve never had. Take him away and we’re as good or better easily. Take anyone off our roster, and we’re not that much worse off. I mean, Arvidsson was a big get back when he returned.

It’s really McDavid, that elite, generational talent, we’ve never had. Take him away and we’re as good or better easily. Take anyone off our roster, and we’re not that much worse off. I mean, Arvidsson was a big get back when he returned.
Case in, point Evander Kane. Everyone thought he was all world in years past but once they took him off McDavid‘s line he’s a non-factor in most games. Same with Hyman. For all his points this season I bet less than 1% didn’t involve McDavid.

The Oilers do have their issues and sometimes they can exploit them. But like in the past, if the Oilers advance, their issues will be even more glaring as they face a more consistent team and I will be annoyed once again. :mhihi:

If the Oilers advance, that is. ;)

1-3-1 is obviously not working, and it won't work against the Oilers. They are too fast. Kings need to clog up their blue line and triple-team McDavid. @Helvetica made a great point about the mixing up of the lines. They don't have a feel for where the other guy is going to be, so they can't make the crisp pass. Stick with the same line combinations and stop mixing them up. And FFS start Rittich in Game 4.

Ah, Paramount and Norwalk. Brings back memories. Was kind of sad that back then the best place to get gear was Norwalk Ice Rink.

Yeah, I do not get the attempts to compare this team to the 2012 team There is really nothing to compare between the two seasons.

I do not disagree with anything you have said. Maybe missing is the fact that the Kings should get rid of Luc and Bergevin as well as Blake. I am sure that those 2 were involved with Blake going after PLD.
Darius at Norwalk was the kingpin when it came to hockey gear in SoCal. Around 1990 his nephew (or cousin) Kamal opened up The Ice Hawk in Costa Mesa across the street from the Ice Capades Chalet, home of the South Coast Sabers. I learned to play at Paramount in 1988 (clinics with Bud, that guy was awesome!), played Bantams at South Coast in 89-90, Midgets at Norwalk in 90-92, then Juniors at the new rink in Anaheim, Glacial Gardens in 92-94. Been a beer league schlub off and on since then.

Oh yeah, GKG!

There it is. Forego the system so we can play faster and (hopefully) cleaner.

We need to just let loose at this point.
letting loose is what gets them in trouble. Cheating isnt how you win games. When i say faster and cleaner, i mean their decision making needs to be quick, and their passing needs to be fast and on the tape. The ability is there, theyve just been a wildly inconsistent team this season.

I get your points. The Kings are a defend first team and when the get to the offensive zone they try to cycle the puck, but never seem to be to worried about getting the puck to the net.
During the regular season, they were 5th at high danger shots for, and 3rd at xG%. That's with a long slump of struggling to score. This is, generally speaking, a team that gets good quality chances. The notion that they play some sort of passive, defense first, low scoring play style is not really reflective of reality.

Theyve certainly struggled this series, but they are tied with teh oilers at 10 goals at 5v5, and were winning that match up the 1st two games. Where they have struggled is on special teams. They've given up too many goals, on too many penalties. And they are literally shooting themselves in the foot every time they go on the PP, because they cant score and they are giving away momentum.

People may not like the 1-3-1, but it's not the reason they are losing games.

During the regular season, they were 5th at high danger shots for, and 3rd at xG%. That's with a long slump of struggling to score. This is, generally speaking, a team that gets good quality chances. The notion that they play some sort of passive, defense first, low scoring play style is not really reflective of reality.

Theyve certainly struggled this series, but they are tied with teh oilers at 10 goals at 5v5, and were winning that match up the 1st two games. Where they have struggled is on special teams. They've given up too many goals, on too many penalties. And they are literally shooting themselves in the foot every time they go on the PP, because they cant score and they are giving away momentum.

People may not like the 1-3-1, but it's not the reason they are losing games.
The 1-3-1 is not passive? I get that they are not a full on defend only team. They are also not an aggressive offense first team. They tend to be in between. If they wanted to push the offense Blake would not have gone after and paid so much for Gavrikov. He fits the 1-3-1 really well, but is not and never was an offensive weapon. If Blake was trying to build and Offensive minded team he would have instead looked for a PMD for the LHS. Instead, he found one of the best LHD available at the time that fits into the 1-3-1 scheme.

Not sure how accurate any stat site is. Based on NHL Edge they are average at shot attempts around the net. Below average in the slot between the circles. Above average from both points. What is the definition of a "high danger shot" anyway? Who defines what is, or what is not a high danger shot? Not saying your info is not accurate vs other stuff out there. I seem to recall some stats like that after a game and the stats did not match what was seen on the ice. This was not a Kings game.

Never said they were losing due to the 1-3-1. However, the 1-3-1 and the LHD players they have to execute that scheme makes the team lean defense by default.

I got most of if not all of my 2012 Kings championship gear at the NHL store in NYC (is that still there?) just because I happened to be there in June of 2012. Sad that I had to be there to get it instead of buying locally, but that's how it was. (now it's online, but still.)

Side note: They also had a mini replica of the Stanley Cup, I put on a shirt I had just bought, jumped the rope, and my wife took a pic of me holding it up over my head. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom