The All Things MLS, NWSL, USMNT/USWNT et al Thread

Called-Up
🇬🇭

Joseph Paintsil was named to the Ghanaian National Team that will participate in Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying matches.

McCarthy and Paintsil bad balls were costly.

Paintsil is really racing his way to the bottom.
Dude looks selfish, and very low skilled with the ball. If he gets a ball you know it’s the end of the play. I dunno what happened to March/April Paintsil. That dude is gone and what the G’s have now is a ghost.

Maybe in two weeks we can finally start a normal formation with a real 9 (Dejan) up top.

Honestly I’m fine with Paintsil out for el Trafico and Fagundez in his place.

I’m nearly done with Paintsil. 😑

Oh, and starting Reus in his second match on the road in 90 degree St Louis!?!?

What was Vanney thinking about!?!?

Oh, and starting Reus in his second match on the road in 90 degree St Louis!?!?

What was Vanney thinking about!?!?
He was thinking, St. Louis sucks and maybe I can get him a goal and out by the 50th. Or not so much...

St. Louis had something to play for. Its okay, they just wanted to give LAFC a false sense of security going into the game...

That was an epic El Trafico!

I was ready to throw in the towel after the first half, but boy did this team turn it on in the second half!
Somebody lit a fire under them, and perhaps......yes, perhaps Vanney made second half adjustments tactically!!!

Tough schedule ahead, but keep this train rolling!

G's up!

That was an epic El Trafico!

I was ready to throw in the towel after the first half, but boy did this team turn it on in the second half!
Somebody lit a fire under them, and perhaps......yes, perhaps Vanney made second half adjustments tactically!!!

Tough schedule ahead, but keep this train rolling!

G's up!
Amazing comeback. I still feel like they have that one slip up in them that may burn in the playoffs. But keep it goin..

And then that happened. Hence why I couldn't get too excited about the LAFC win. Don't know what we're going to get in the playoffs.

Last edited:
The defense will be the end of the G's.
G's will live and die by their ability to respond to transition/counters.

Brugman looked completely out of sorts.
I think his time is done. I would be happy if theG's don't play him the rest of the way.

Garces really needs more time in matches. He can be a difference maker.
I think he has much more upside than Neal.

I don't know why we could not play more conservative/compact in this match and steal a point.
A shooting match on the road, on turf, with a swiss cheese defense!?!?!?!

Whitecaps match is a must win at home.

Great win at home (again). Another 4-2 game.....weird.

Garces is the real deal!
Hope Reus just got a little tightness, and nothing more.

G's looked in control, but still make defensive lapses.

Most of the other matches in the West fell in the G's favor.

Win the next 2 out of 3 and they should win the West, and have home field advantage.

G's up!

^^^ Agreed.
That's why I'm not totally sold on the G's ability to dominate the playoffs.

They are prone to laying eggs.

As far as the G's go coming into the playoffs, I fear they are an easy read for other coaches to play against tactically. Greg pretty much serves up the same thing every match.

To play against the G's tactically (IMHO) :
Clog the middle and take out Puig.
Don't let Pec cut inside and use his left foot.
Stay in a low block, and let the G's play really high, and when Puig gives the ball away on his bad passes, you counter hard and fast and run it down their throat....knowing the the G's defending is poor, and they rarely are in place to mark opponents on the counter, and are not quick enough.

I think the G's quality is carrying the team....at least offensively for sure.
They are winning despite Vanney, not because of his tactics.
Vanney has shown to be a one trick pony.
He rarely makes adjustments to other clubs.
If the G's don't beat teams with their great offensive quality, other teams will for sure beat the G's tactically.

Beware the clubs from Ohio in the playoffs!

Magic number for the G's is now 1.

The G's currently have me feeling like 2012 LA Kings after winning the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.
I wanted to believe, but somehow I couldn't. They looked really good, but you were just waiting for the bottom to fall out, and all of it to come crashing down.

Dos a cero.....the wrong way this time.

Pocettino now 1-1 with USMNT.

Match vs Mexico was disjointed. VERY tough to win in Mexico.
US was playing with almost a "B" squad. It showed.

Can't expect miracles in a matter of days.

Let's see how the US look in November.

Dos a cero.....the wrong way this time.

Pocettino now 1-1 with USMNT.

Match vs Mexico was disjointed. VERY tough to win in Mexico.
US was playing with almost a "B" squad. It showed.

Can't expect miracles in a matter of days.

Let's see how the US look in November.
Perfect game for Mexico to say "we're back" then lose to us again when we play our starters.

Disjointed to say the least. We couldn't string any passes together and really didn't have much energy until zendejas came in. But this game seemed more about Poch looking at who will stoke the bench for future games.

^^ Agreed. "Silver linings": Poch got to watch a good chunk of "B" team players in a real match to see what he actually has to work with.

Nations League away & home vs Jamaica will be a good eyeball test of how Pochettino is comin along with the squad. Home & Away is a good opportunity to enforce the system, and make adjustments withthe players.

Back