Home Cookin' The BBQ/Smokers/Smoked Meats Thread...

notbob

Selke Smooth
TEAM LGK
So Food4less has pork shoulder for $1.50lb and i was thinking of spending sunday smoking it. Does anyone have any recipes or suggestions?

post rub: keep it on the smoker until you get to about 190-195 internal temp.

I usually keep the temperature of the smoker around 225 or so. takes about 10 hours for me.

youtube has a lot of videos, as well.

Inject it with whatever you like. I like Jim Beam with butter and garlic. Keep a spray bottle of apple juice handy to keep it moist and to form a nice sweet crust. Be careful to not oversmoke it (believe it or not).

oversmoke it - do you mean until it is dry? I've never heard of too much smoke...

So i finally found the website i used last time i smoked ribs. Its a really great website with a ton of info on grilling almost everything.

BBQ Ribs Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Grilling Recipes, Baby Back Ribs, Barbecue Spare Ribs, Outdoor Cooking, Rating Barbecue Grills and Smokers

Meathead is the Man. And yes, you can "over smoke". I add wood chips at the start, and then every hour-hour fifteen for the first 4 hours. Make sure your water dish does not dry up. Good luck and please post pics.

I don't think I've ever oversmoked something with hickory or cherry, even after 10+ hours. I guess I could understand it with Mesquite - I really dislike that taste.

What sucks is that I can't smoke at my apartment.
No cigars
No weed
No pork

That's Pasadena for ya

Good luck to you and your wonderfully smoked chunks of pig

nice tire tread marks. you sure it's not a roadkill? ;)

You got me. The store was out of the pork shoulder so i had to find my own. Do you know how hard it is to find a pig (the food kind) wandering the streets in LA.

You got me. The store was out of the pork shoulder so i had to find my own. Do you know how hard it is to find a pig (the food kind) wandering the streets in LA.

any meat market in China Town. I used to do deep pit pig roasts for biker runs, had no trouble getting shoulders and or butts there.

What sucks is that I can't smoke at my apartment.
No cigars
No weed
No pork

That's Pasadena for ya

Good luck to you and your wonderfully smoked chunks of pig

The Peoples Republic of Pasadena. nuff said.

Howard's on Duarte and San Gabriel in SG has a great selection of cuts.

The day before the meal, trim all of the excess fat that is thicker than 1/4 in., rub shoulder with olive oil liberally, and then apply you favorite BBQ dry rub, for pork you are better off with "sweeter" Kansas City or Memphis style rubs in my humble opinion. Depending on your smoker, the rest is all variable. The meat will only absorb the smoke for the first few hours or so, so keeping the smoker smoking after that is not necessary. The most important thing is a stable temp for the long burn, between 225-250 deg. It is very hard to over cook a pork shoulder if you keep the temps steady and low. Spraying or basting with a 50/50 mix of olive oil and apple juice is fine if you only do it once or twice over 8-10 hrs, "cuz if your lookin, your not cookin", and your temps will suffer...Happy smokin'!

here is the smoker that I am upgrading from an old air compressor tank turned into backyard fireplace.

btw, 15+ years of weather element = rust. unfortunately, there's no sand blaster at work, so an excessive sanding job using 40 grit will do fine.

481025_3989708494551_825323561_n.jpg
313913_3989708894561_1187226790_n.jpg
603460_3989708774558_55948827_n.jpg

stay tuned. there still is more work needing to be done.

Back
Top Bottom