Home Cookin' The BBQ/Smokers/Smoked Meats Thread...

Love Meatheads site, full of valuable information, I've used his turkey recipe for the past 4 years! I agree with several of his points in the link, but I know that the same final product can be achieved without a filled water pan(less prep time, less fuel burned, less cook time, less clean up.) Just trying to save you time.

if I wanted, I could just throw the meat on the lower rack and make a quick bbq job out of it.

damn, that 3 lb pork butt took 10 hours. 250 degrees give or take a few just wasn't helping. the meat hit 190 anyway.

and it's DAMN TASTY GOOD!!!

It took longer to cook that cut of the meat than it took to shoot down the death star. Loved the pics thought!

It took longer to cook that cut of the meat than it took to shoot down the death star. Loved the pics thought!

well, someone could have told me that!

1869_10200310220731584_76591429_n.jpg

in the middle of smoking that stubborn piece of pork butt yesterday.

263776_10200380064037623_1539930410_n.jpg

babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback babyback rrrrrrrriiiiiibsssssss!

603727_10200524160359941_473839437_n.jpg

pecan smoked lobster tails and asparagus seasoned with peppered bacon salt.

contrary to nightmarish posts in the smoked meats forums online, these did not turn into rubber. 200 degrees for 3 hours over a water pan with asparagus added directly (on the rack from which the water pan was removed) for 10 minutes.

we should change the title of this thread to "how to smoke stuff".

Before we make this a thread of "how to ..." I have to just give a "HELL YEAH" to pork butts! Man that is some mighty fine eating!!!!

Who needs to learn how to smoke stuff when we can just show up on your doorstep.

Highly suggest you guys try this finishing sauce if you are doing butts. I smoked a 5 1/2 lb butt last Saturday. Kept the temp at 240 for about 9 hours. Internal temp when pulled was around 195.

I put this sauce out and everyone was blown away. Even my own mother. I put it in a squeeze bottle that I purchased from Smart and Final. Shook it up and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Enjoy!

2C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.

I've had my Big Green Egg for 2 weeks now. So far, I've smoked pork shoulder, tri-tip, chicken legs, brisket, short ribs, and a whole turkey...all awesome. I'll be making a smoked turkey pot pie to this week's town potluck. The stock has been going all day and the house is rife with smoked turkey goodness. I've also done a couple of pizzas and last night, cornbread. It was expensive, but wow is it worth it.

Hey, Salami!! Glad to hear you're happy with your BGE!!! What size did you go for?

I just ordered a BBQ Guru computer-controlled blower for mine. Should be here by the end of next week. I'll be trying it out with some smoked brisket.

big-green-egg-bbq-guru.png

It turns the whole process into a "set it and forget it" proposition. No more getting up four times overnight to check temperatures.

I still need to get a good pizza stone. My wife's been bugging me to try pizzas on it.

custom smoker update.......

trial run #1
535777_10200110419816686_1695273179_n.jpg

a small bundle of charcoal was used. in an hour with all vents opened at the bottom and the top and doors latched shut, the surface was hot to the touch. as I have not bought a temp gauge yet, I placed the oven thermometer on the top rack, and after 30 minutes the temp read 250.

I plan to switch to lump coals and run another test to determine the right amount at the right tempurature before actually using the smoker for good.

Hey...that thing looks pretty sweet. Nice job! How well do those doors seal?

Any thought of powder-coating it?

Hey, Salami!! Glad to hear you're happy with your BGE!!! What size did you go for?

I just ordered a BBQ Guru computer-controlled blower for mine. Should be here by the end of next week. I'll be trying it out with some smoked brisket.

It turns the whole process into a "set it and forget it" proposition. No more getting up four times overnight to check temperatures.

I still need to get a good pizza stone. My wife's been bugging me to try pizzas on it.

I went with the large, and it handled a 20 pound turkey like a pro. I bought the "Party-Q" controller along with it, it's a battery powered fan unit that kept it right at 225 for 12 hours. The white meat went into turkey pot pie tonight, and I'll be damned if it wasn't the best pot pie I've ever had.

It ended up being over $1800 with the plate setter, pizza stone, Party-Q, tiled table and the egg itself, but it's just amazing. It really is something special.

You'll love the computer, it feels like cheating, but it works so well!

the BBQ Guru is for the serious folks. I'm happy with my own setup.

49739.jpg

I've heard that the Boboli crust is the best thing to smoke pizzas on. gotta try it.

Hey...that thing looks pretty sweet. Nice job! How well do those doors seal?

Any thought of powder-coating it?

thanks. there is a bit of a gap on the hinge side of the doors. I've got some 1/8" flat bars from work and ready to tack them on, then the mild fluctuations in the temps should be remedied by then.

next, add the shelves on the left side.

the powdercoating can wait.

So a question or two about the BGE. You can smoke in that thing as well? And for a novice of the BGE what would the base start price for a small/medium size and set up? It appears the last question is answered, i.e. if it is worth it to present users.

So a question or two about the BGE. You can smoke in that thing as well? And for a novice of the BGE what would the base start price for a small/medium size and set up? It appears the last question is answered, i.e. if it is worth it to present users.

yes yes yes!!!. It will consistently hold temperatures anywhere from 200 to 750 degrees. It is an amazing smoker, just as it is an amazing pizza oven. I can't believe they're not more popular. The small is pretty small; think habachi grill. The medium is really as small as you'd want to go, and it, just the egg, will be at least $500. Then you've got the "nest" (stand)($200), plate setter (stone that intercepts the direct heat of the coals, preventing burning)($100). And if you're going to go that far, you'll want to spend the extra couple hundred on the large. It's a lifetime investment and it's totally worth it in my opinion. I do a lot of cooking, and I've only turned my oven on once since I've owned it.

I would love to own a BGE, but its out of my price range for now. So I settled on a Chargriller Kamado, $300. Can pretty much do what the BGE can do for way less money. I ordered mine from Lowes, link, (ships to store for free.) I'd recommend you start with one if you aren't quit sure you want a ceramic style cooker or are in sticker shock of the BGE. Check out,Kamado Guru • View forum - Char-Griller AKORN Kamado / King Griller, for videos, etc of the Kamado in action.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom