Booze The wine thread

boooooooo

It can't all be crap can it?

Most of it is the mass produced wine you'll likely find at a local supermarket. There are some decent wines at BevMo, but they won't be part of the 5 cent deal. It's better to go to a local wine shop where they actually care about the wine they sell to you.

boooooooo

It can't all be crap can it?

Most of it is the mass produced wine you'll likely find at a local supermarket. There are some decent wines at BevMo, but they won't be part of the 5 cent deal. It's better to go to a local wine shop where they actually care about the wine they sell to you.

all this time, i think i have found one, count it, ONE bottle of Chardonnay that i thought was a little too buttery but okay, but Kat liked it well enough once before and thought why not for a bottle to have in the fridge when you want a little taste of something.

all this time, i think i have found one, count it, ONE bottle of Chardonnay that i thought was a little too buttery but okay, but Kat liked it well enough once before and thought why not for a bottle to have in the fridge when you want a little taste of something.

Yeah, It would be rare to walk into a BevMo and ask the person working there to recommend a bottle of Chardonnay that was aged in either a stainless tank or French oak and have them point you in the right direction. You have a higher probability of finding decent help in Trader Joe's actually.

Wow that's rough, we're still learning alot on the wine front. Never really thought of trader joe's as a place to check out for wine. Might try that for ****s and giggles. Can't wait until it's finally warm enough to go back to the napa, at least then if the wine sucks the view is usually good.

Four Vines Heretic ftw! Beautiful Old vine Petite Sirah. Go and get it. Now.

FYI....Jim Fox gave some recomendations at the end of the last episode of LGK Talk.

booyah!

lostsonnet.jpg

10 bucks at Trader Joe's... enjoy!

So we had a good time with the Cupcake Malbec and some strips from Sams Club. For $7 a bottle I'm willing to try it again.

The best place I have found to buy wine is Costco. Also like the Wine Crush (right actross the street from my house) but it is more expensive. Wine Country on Redondo is also very good. You can actually find some great deals at Rite-Aid like the J. Lohr for $12.99.

Klee 2009 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

Klee 2009 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir from The Wine Country

"It's early yet, but this may be the domestic Pinot buy of the year for 2011."

I agree with this review. I just went back for more. ;)

"Some wines are under-priced, some over-deliver, this wine does both!" - Rinkrat

"Better than the $75 wine we drank at Grandma's birthday" - Gal VaniZed

TJs has BearBoat Syrah 2007 for $3.99 a bottle if you can find it.....was originally 20 bucks on Wine.com and other sites.

http://www.wine.com/V6/BearBoat-Syrah-2007/wine/105865/detail.aspx

Also-some of the Ralphs markets in higher end neighborhoods have great wine selections......every once in a while they will put some on clearance.We had a 1.5L bottle of 2004 Genesis Merlot that my bro picked up for $15 bucks that was fantastic.

http://www.wine.com/V6/Hogue-Genesis-Merlot-2004/wine/89734/detail.aspx

Last edited:
Nothing wrong at all with 7 Deadly Zins, 2006 (Lodi).
Much like RR, I try to get most of my wine at Costco. Aside from most of the mass produced stuff, difference areas have different stuff. I try to hit Lake Tahoe twice a year, everytime I stop by at the Costco in Folsom. HUGE wine selection, I guess its proximity... That is the only Costco I have found this Zin, at 12 bucks a pop. I hear the 7 Heavenly Sins (Chardonnay) is very good as well, especially for the price.

Its been about 2 years since I've seen Fat Cat in stores. Picked up the Merlot and Cab last Sundee at Henry's here in The Cuc. Fat Cat is still, to this day, by far my favorite winery both in taste and price. Their entire output never ceases to amaze me.

33285.jpg

Got this Bialla 2008 Cabernet at BevMo on the recommendation of a lady who was looking at it.

"It's like you died and went to heaven" was her review.

We were looking for something to celebrate with so this should do the trick.

Klee 2009 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

Klee 2009 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir from The Wine Country

"It's early yet, but this may be the domestic Pinot buy of the year for 2011."

I agree with this review. I just went back for more. ;)

"Some wines are under-priced, some over-deliver, this wine does both!" - Rinkrat

"Better than the $75 wine we drank at Grandma's birthday" - Gal VaniZed

2009 Rex Hill Willamette Pinot Noir is another winner. I have seen it as low as $22.

OK, I've been drinking wine for a couple months now so I must be an expert, right?

Here a few faves:

Under $10 prize goes to Rosemount which you can find at Rite Aid for $6.99 on sale.
Under $15 prize goes to John Lohr Dark brown label
Under $20 prize goes to LA Crema Pinot Noir - This is my "go-to" wine that is always dependable and great tasting.
For $30 I'd recommend the wine in the previous post.
At this point, that's the most I spend unless it's a special day. Paying more for wine than dinner is just too hard to comprehend.

Last edited:
RR- looks like you're mostly a red fan, right? Not sure if the Bevmo 5cent sale is still on but, if so, try picking up a couple bottles of Henry's Dead Letter Office (AU). It's in the $40 range but at 2 for 1 becomes more than reasonable. A huge fruit bomb that goes great with smokey/bbq meats.

Yeah I love Pinot Noir. I always avoided it because it was so trendy and it turns out it's my fave wine. Very mellow.

I'll check out Henry's!

Back
Top Bottom