Booze The wine thread

Finally got my hands on another bottle of Arrowood, this time their Syrah. Last I had was the cote de luna 2006 and it was the most remarkable bottle of wine, unfortunately I finished it at the end of the first period of that ****ing sharks game. This time I'll be waiting until the third.

I'm not a wine enthusiast by any stretch. I can drink the (previously known as) 2-Buck-Chuck Shiraz and be fine with it. It's decent wine for not much money. I will admit that I absolutely LOVE the Tobin James winery in Paso Robles. This place makes some flat out fantastic wines. Their Zins are great but the one they're known for is the Fat Boy. Holy **** on a stick! This wine is truly amazing. It runs for about $55. Not cheap... not expensive... but it's well worth the money.
Another wine I've been drinking a bit of is the Apothic Red. It's about $9 at Vons or Ralphs and it's pretty darn good too.

Now if you want to get ****faced, you need to try Mangria. WOW... that stuff packs a punch. The stuff has a 22% alcohol content. After the first sip, you're feeling fine.

So in my opinion, you need to go with what the moment calls for. Hanging out at home watching an away game on the cheap, 2-point5-buck-chuck. If you need a decent wine for you and your lady friend (I really believe that all women are lesbians... but that's another thread... j/k if you couldn't tell by my "tone") go for the Apothic Red. If you want to get her fall for you go for the Fat Boy. If you have a night ala Fear and Loathing style... go for the Mangria.

Just in case you were interested...

464066_10151421054048404_1957930278_o.jpg

Just in case you were interested...

464066_10151421054048404_1957930278_o.jpg

This has always intrigued me. My wife loves Perrier Jouet Cuve Bel Epoc. The bottle runs about $120ish and I've seen it for under $100 at different places, so it's a little on the pricey side for 750ml. So the thing I don't get is that a magnum 1.5L is $350. Why the hell would I spend over $100 more for the same amount of champagne? They should at least have it be on par with $/ml, because this is recockulous.

If anybody comes across a pinot or cab made with carneros grapes, pls shoot me a pm. costco had an acascia pinot on sale, tried it went back and all gone. oh well.

Acacia is my favorite PN.

I've done the wine-tasting thing in Napa/Sonoma. It's fun, it's a pretty area, and there's some great wineries there for sure. But DAMN are they full of themselves!! $35 for a five-wine flight and they typically don't waive that if you buy a couple bottles! Even so, I've got some favorite wineries up there that I've visited: Nicholson Ranch, Acacia, Merryvale, Beaulieu, and Alpha Omega.

If you want a REALLY fun wine trip on a budget, make a drive to Lodi or Clarksburg. They both have AMAZINGLY GOOD wineries and they're WAY more down-to-Earth than the folks in N/S. Check out the Tempranillo and Petite Sirah from Harney Lane, the Syrah from Berghold (Footstomp, I think it's called), and the Old Ghost from Klinker Brick (tough to say when you're nackered), which is hands-down my FAVORITE red wine, let alone OVZ. It's available at TW. GET SOME.

Clarksburg is the home of Bogle, and they've got a great petite Sirah port they make.

But what about local around the L.A. area? Anyone got any tips on good places to taste? We like actual winery/estate tasting rooms, rather than wine bars.

I've done the wine-tasting thing in Napa/Sonoma. It's fun, it's a pretty area, and there's some great wineries there for sure. But DAMN are they full of themselves!! $35 for a five-wine flight and they typically don't waive that if you buy a couple bottles! Even so, I've got some favorite wineries up there that I've visited: Nicholson Ranch, Acacia, Merryvale, Beaulieu, and Alpha Omega.

If you want a REALLY fun wine trip on a budget, make a drive to Lodi or Clarksburg. They both have AMAZINGLY GOOD wineries and they're WAY more down-to-Earth than the folks in N/S. Check out the Tempranillo and Petite Sirah from Harney Lane, the Syrah from Berghold (Footstomp, I think it's called), and the Old Ghost from Klinker Brick (tough to say when you're nackered), which is hands-down my FAVORITE red wine, let alone OVZ. It's available at TW. GET SOME.

Clarksburg is the home of Bogle, and they've got a great petite Sirah port they make.

But what about local around the L.A. area? Anyone got any tips on good places to taste? We like actual winery/estate tasting rooms, rather than wine bars.

Will check this out someday. Done the Napa thing a few times, really liked the Domaine Carneros winery.

Been doing the central cost lately. Costco has the 2011 acacia, but not on sale. Its back up to $14 :(

Costco has the 2011 acacia, but not on sale. Its back up to $14 :(

And worth every penny, IMO.

Check TW for Lodi wines. Good stuff from up there.

Been doing the central cost lately.

If you want to treat yourself to a great Santa Barbara wine, try the Tensley Colson Canyon Syrah. The 2011 just pulled a 96 point rating and the 2010 received a 95.

Wine Club in Santa Ana has it for around $32 and Total Wine sells it for $35. I have had the 2010 and just bought a 2011.

Not cheap but how often do you see a 96 point (Wine Advocate) red for under $40?

There is a relatively new winery in Silverado (OC) that I have on my list to check out. Reviews on the wines appear to be hit or miss but everyone raves about the picnic views. Giracci Vineyards. Anyone been there yet?

One of the advantages of living up here. Bogle is now in my local grocery store. Going to try them out.

One of the advantages of living up here. Bogle is now in my local grocery store. Going to try them out.

Their PN, OVZ, and PS Port are good...

Okay, I know that your palate can be trained to get used - probably even like - the taste of wine. But how do you do it with your tummy? I really want to enjoy drinking wine but it gives me an upset stomach. And no, it's not that I need to go to the bathroom after, or that I suddenly get a stomachache. It's my breath after drinking wine that doesn't smell pleasant at all - which I think is a product of a bad tummy reaction.

Beer is the closest beverage I could manage but I know that wine is way healthier.

Rules of Wine Club

1st RULE: You should often talk about WINE CLUB.
2nd RULE: You should OFTEN talk about WINE CLUB.
3rd RULE: If someone says "when" or waves their hand or taps out the pour is over.
4th RULE: Only two wines to a night.
5th RULE: One wine at a time.
6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes, no wine.
7th RULE: Nights will go on as long as they have to.
8th RULE: If this is your first night at WINE CLUB, you HAVE to drink.

(Looking forward to the latest Wine Club shipment from Klinker Brick Winery!!)
1526909_10202721923466784_1404256999_n.jpg

I really was impressed with the package design Jim had done. Great work. I haven't broken any open yet. I think we're going to try and age it a couple three or four years before we do, and we'll maybe try and get him to autograph a bottle for us.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom