Waiver Watch

Clif

Super Star
Per Hoven Moverare, Madden, Thomas, and Fagemo on waivers today.

Feels early for Fagemo. Don’t see how JAD has shown considerably more. Could point the way for a spoiler like Laf making it? He doesn’t make the team to sit most games though. Interesting development.

A team that claims one of these guys has to commit to playing them in the NHL. Fagemo is the only one I'm really worried about. Jesse Cohen was discussing this on the post game show last night. I don't remember the exact rules, but teams can't just grab a guy for their AHL roster for free.

Last edited:
Agree. However, a team that would want, say, Fagemo could pass on him then call up Blake to make a deal. Then this other team could do whatever they want with him at that point (stay in NHL or get sent to AHL), right?

jom

Agree. However, a team that would want, say, Fagemo could pass on him then call up Blake to make a deal. Then this other team could do whatever they want with him at that point (stay in NHL or get sent to AHL), right?

jom
Yes

Per Hoven Moverare, Madden, Thomas, and Fagemo on waivers today.

Feels early for Fagemo. Don’t see how JAD has shown considerably more. Could point the way for a spoiler like Laf making it? He doesn’t make the team to sit most games though. Interesting development.
Only thing is maybe defense and shot blocking ability. Those blocked shots in last night's game may have paid off handsomely for him.

Only thing is maybe defense and shot blocking ability. Those blocked shots in last night's game may have paid off handsomely for him.
Given the camps Laf, Turcotte, and Pinelli had (in that order), Blake could figure that covers injuries to the top 9. If they’re looking for a defensive-minded player to be at the ready for the 4th line, yes JAD could definitely cover for that role. All that could justify the risk in losing Fagemo.

Given the camps Laf, Turcotte, and Pinelli had (in that order), Blake could figure that covers injuries to the top 9. If they’re looking for a defensive-minded player to be at the ready for the 4th line, yes JAD could definitely cover for that role. All that could justify the risk in losing Fagemo.
I agree with your logic.

On a separate note, however, there really isn't a justification for poor roster management - which is what this equates to. Losing players like Fagemo, Thomas or Madden (who was picked up as a key piece of the Toffoli trade) for nothing should not be considered acceptable. Granted it may happen from time to time as a one off, but not several players being exposed at once.

I agree with your logic.

On a separate note, however, there really isn't a justification for poor roster management - which is what this equates to. Losing players like Fagemo, Thomas or Madden (who was picked up as a key piece of the Toffoli trade) for nothing should not be considered acceptable. Granted it may happen from time to time as a one off, but not several players being exposed at once.
None of those three players are anything to write home about. Thomas and Madden are pretty unlikely to ever get anything other than a cup of coffee at the NHL level. Fagemo still has an opportunity to become a regular NHL player, but I'd rate his chances at under 50/50. I think he's the only one who may be picked up on waivers, and I doubt that's going to happen.

IMO- you are way off here.

Waivers are a reality of sports. The waiver system is designed to increase parity but also give players a chance in other organizations after a certain amount of time with the organization.

These were all the players waived recently

List of all the players placed on NHL waiver​

PLAYERSTATUS
Riley SutterPlaced on waivers
Chase PriskiePlaced on waivers
Dominic ToninatoPlaced on waivers
Ashton SautnerPlaced on waivers
Kristian ReichelPlaced on waivers
Jeff MalottPlaced on waivers
Jansen HarkinsPlaced on waivers
Jett WooPlaced on waivers
Zach SawchenkoPlaced on waivers
Jack RathbonePlaced on waivers
Matt IrwinPlaced on waivers
Sheldon DriesPlaced on waivers
Philippe MyersPlaced on waivers
Sean DayPlaced on waivers
Mitchell ChaffeePlaced on waivers
Matthew PecaPlaced on waivers
Hugh McGingPlaced on waivers
Wyatt KalynukPlaced on waivers
Will BittenPlaced on waivers
Nathan ToddPlaced on waivers
Scott SabourinPlaced on waivers
Mac HollowellPlaced on waivers
Louis DominguePlaced on waivers
Philippe MailletPlaced on waivers
Lias AnderssonPlaced on waivers
Nick SwaneyPlaced on waivers
Zane McIntyrePlaced on waivers
Jacob LucchiniPlaced on waivers
Steven FogartyPlaced on waivers
T.J. TynanPlaced on waivers
Akil ThomasPlaced on waivers
Steven SantiniPlaced on waivers
Jacob MoverarePlaced on waivers
Mikhail MaltsevPlaced on waivers
Hayden HodgsonPlaced on waivers
Joe HickettsPlaced on waivers
Samuel FagemoPlaced on waivers
Kevin ConnautonPlaced on waivers
Brett SeneyPlaced on waivers
Mike HardmanPlaced on waivers
David GustPlaced on waivers
Jeremy DaviesPlaced on waivers
Joseph CecconiPlaced on waivers
Michael DiPietroPlaced on waivers
Trevor CarrickPlaced on waivers
Byron FroeseCleared waivers
Roland McKeownCleared waivers
Garrett PilonCleared waivers
Dillon HeatheringtonCleared waivers
Josh CurrieCleared waivers
Jake LeschyshynCleared waivers
Jordan GrossCleared waivers
Troy GrosenickCleared waivers
Kevin GravelCleared waivers
Anthony AngelloCleared waivers
Mitchell StephensCleared waivers
Brady KeeperCleared waivers
Lucas CondottaCleared waivers
Nicolas BeaudinCleared waivers
Greg McKeggCleared waivers
Drake CaggiulaCleared waivers
Dustin TokarskiCleared waivers
Justin RichardsCleared waivers
Devin CooleyCleared waivers
Lassi ThomsonClaimed on waivers by Anaheim Ducks
Jonas RøndbjergCleared waivers
Sheldon RempalCleared waivers
Gage QuinneyCleared waivers
Dysin MayoCleared waivers
Mason GeertsenCleared waivers
Anton BlidhPlaced on waivers
Alex BelzilePlaced on waivers
Tyler WotherspoonPlaced on waivers
Spencer SmallmanPlaced on waivers
Keaton MiddletonPlaced on waivers
Jean-Sébastien DeaCleared waivers
Anthony DeangeloCleared waivers
Alex GalchenyukCleared waivers
Andy AndreoffCleared waivers
Filip ZadinaCleared waivers
Mike ReillyCleared waivers
Kailer YamamotoCleared waivers
Matt DucheneCleared waivers
Blake WheelerCleared waivers
Josh BaileyCleared waivers
Zack KassianCleared waivers
Patrik NemethCleared waivers
John HaydenCleared waivers
Jesper FrödénCleared waivers
Mark JankowskiCleared waivers
Michael McCarronCleared waivers
Kiefer SherwoodCleared waivers
Christian WolaninCleared waivers
Nicolas PetanCleared waivers
Spencer MartinPlaced on waivers
Ty SmithCleared waivers
Rem PitlickCleared waivers
Xavier OuelletCleared waivers
Jonathan GrudenCleared waivers
Taylor FedunCleared waivers
Callahan BurkeCleared waivers
Josh ArchibaldCleared waivers
Liam KirkCleared waivers

Losing players in a reality. Every year each team starts with 7 picks . I have heard a few scouts say a team is doing really well if two players per draft make the NHL

1696265424746.png

5 from that draft

Fagemo has been given every chance
Let's look at his numbers compared to his peers

22-23

1696265549491.png

A defenseman had more points that him. Lias Andersson who couldn't stick in the NHL with 2 different orgs outproduced him handily .54 PPG in the AHL for a gial scorer is pretty bad
Compare that to Byfield's 1.125 ppg
IYO- Who's roster spot should Fagemo be taking?

Thomas has been injury riddled and never played more than 40 games in a season and only 13 last year. Who should be making the team over IYO?

Same w/ Madden .46 ppg in the AHL
Who should Madden be making the team over IYO?

poop. my prediction came true. Barry Trotz knows what's up. Good luck, Samuel! Maybe I'll get to come watch you play in Nashville this season.

Now will Fagemo be more like Hickey or like Clague?

On the rare occasion a player gets claimed during training camp, it feels like a wasted asset. But if that same player cleared, it’d feel like they don’t have any trade value anyway since they couldn’t get picked up for free.

Even if Fagemo goes on to play at least 400 games, I can’t picture he was worth much even as a throw-in. For other players mentioned, I’m okay with this and wish him the best.

Now will Fagemo be more like Hickey or like Clague?

On the rare occasion a player gets claimed during training camp, it feels like a wasted asset. But if that same player cleared, it’d feel like they don’t have any trade value anyway since they couldn’t get picked up for free.

Even if Fagemo goes on to play at least 400 games, I can’t picture he was worth much even as a throw-in. For other players mentioned, I’m okay with this and wish him the best.
I do think Fagemo could have had trade value, but he wasn't ever going to get a chance to show what it could be in our current system. Rob has been very good, almost too good, at keeping the pipeline well-stocked the past 3-4 seasons. Which means good players have to move on.

Back