What are you reading? What was the last book you enjoyed?

51sLuf5ZJmL.jpg

I got a kindle paperwhite for Christmas, and I picked this up through Amazon Unlimited. I'm at 36% of the books, and it's been hard to put down. The chapters are short, so the scenes change very quickly.

3547833.jpg

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
A good read within the genre. Not for those looking for all the strategy, tactics and daily life of the Roman Legions as there is almost none of that. It is really an adventure story of a son trying to reclaim the good name of his father who's reputation was lost by none of his own fault. A short book, easy read and part of a trilogy which covers three different sub-eras of the empire. If you saw the movie with Channing Tatum, the plot remains largely the same but there are some significant differences. Light but fun reading. I never knew about this book growing up but I am guessing it was probably on a lot of high school summer reading lists.

6411016.jpg

Matterhorn: a Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes

I suppose part of my interest in this book is that my father would talk about his time as a Navy Lieutenant during the Vietnam War but obviously the Navy experience was different than that of the soldier or Marine. The author was a Marine Corps 1st lieutenant & Navy Cross recipient. I'm impressed at how he has retained authenticity while keeping the story from going morose. Some of the ground it covers is expected, the ineptitude of political micromanagement in war, the deep rifts that racism brought into the functionality of units, men as fodder for the career goals of generals. While he isn't an exceptional author, neither does it ever feel preachy or anything but matter-of-fact commentary from one who has earned the right to tell it like it is. He leaves you to figure out what heroism actually is and looks like, and, remains honest about the undercurrent of self-preservation and ambition even in those who lead and love their squads/platoons. I've had no problem wanting to continue on reading and feel like I understand the War a little more.

51-IhE7lLkL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fun little young adults book in honor of the movie coming out. Bit of a retelling of the story, whereas it turns out Belle?s mother, an enchantress (of the magical ilk) is the one who cursed the beast, as an emotional reaction to enchantresses being hunted down by the non-magical folk with no help from the king and queen. Belle and the Beast have to get out of his cursed castle, find her father (and mother, if still alive?hmm??) to try and break the curse.

Pretty much follows the movie's story until the point she figures out it was her mother that enacted the curse. Nothing groundbreaking, but a quick and entertaining enough read.

While I like "The Expanse" series on SyFy, season 2 without Detective Miller was not so fulfilling and I suspected that the series didn't live up to the novel. It didn't. At all. Caliban's War is an excellent follow up to Leviathan Wakes and I'm now committed to reading the rest of the series, over time, but definitely before each new season is aired.

latest

Last thing I read was this thread. Last book was Probably if you take a mouse to school.

Last thing I read was this thread. Last book was Probably if you take a mouse to school.

Ahh, the great sequel to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". I wrote a fan fiction book called "If You Give a Mouse a Feral Cat". The illustrations are sick.

attachment_41648772

Raven One- I've seen this book characterized as a technothriller but the plot isn't really fleshed out enough to really fill that description. Its a very straightforward plot regarding a Navy F-18 pilot, the in's and out's and who's and what's of a deployed carrier group and air wing, in which all gets tested following an incident in the Persian Gulf. The technical specifics, tactics and jargon are very detailed and the author expects you to keep up. If you are a fighter, navy or military geek, this is a good but simple book. If not, there isn't enough elsewhere to make this worth your while. I enjoyed it.

%7BB4A8168E-A58E-4FB5-9396-B47A5DFDD391%7DImg400.jpg

Added Shogun to an order to get free shipping. I bailed on another of Clavell's epics and I wasn't impressed with the televised miniseries that my mother made the family watch when I was a wee lad so I didn't have high expectations. Pleasantly surprised though. He certainly is a researching fool. I'm over half way through and I'm certain I'll finish it within a couple of weeks (still several hundred pages to go). Sometimes taking a chance on a book works out well.

Worldisflat.gif

The World is Flat
By Thomas Friedman

Considering this book basically chronicles the world I've lived in professionally my entire life I can't help but say that since it was written over ten years ago it's clearly not only hit the mark but where Mr. Friedman held back some of the things for fear of sounding like he was approaching hyperbole he could have gone on and been proven correct. I am not sure that I totally agree with his concepts for the idea of a middle class america competing with the rest of the world but I will say that the current political climate has a lot to do with his grossly simple assertion that suddenly there were 1.5 billion more capable people entering the world workforce. Its a big world out there and this is a good as any place to open your eyes to it.

$_35.JPG

Started this a few weeks ago, but work, school, and life seem to get in the way of reading. Trying to fit in some reading time is not so easy recently.

I've had Shogun on my reading list for a while now, but I'm thinking of bumping it in favor of the Dark Tower. Thoughts?

$_35.JPG

Started this a few weeks ago, but work, school, and life seem to get in the way of reading. Trying to fit in some reading time is not so easy recently.

I've had Shogun on my reading list for a while now, but I'm thinking of bumping it in favor of the Dark Tower. Thoughts?

I got through the first three books of dark tower and then life got in the way. It's funny I don't know many people that have powered through that series, seems like everyone takes their time.

$_35.JPG

I remember enjoying IT back in the '80s and being disappointed in the movie which is usually the case. I never finished the first Dark Tower. Something about it just didn't light my fire but I'm not patient with books and need to get hooked early.

Shogun is an epic story that although it weighs in at 1150 pages, never lagged for me. While I am predisposed to be interested in the culture having a Japanese mother, I believe the combination of fish out of water (in the extreme), military strategy, adventure, political intrigue and cultural immersion aspects will translate well to most any reader. You may want to put it off until you have more time to read it within a short timeframe though.

Gave Dan Browns Origin a spin.

All the Dan Brown books with professor Langdon are best at bringing settings and landscapes to life. This book made me want to go to Spain. The story itself is a bit formulaic although he does put some nice personal touches on this type of story. Futurist creator with an agenda, has some cool toys, gets himself whacked and chaos ensues. I did like the uplifting ending of this one though. The science vs religion arguments in the book aren't super drawn out and really aren't meant to convince anyone to change their mind thankfully. True creationist flatearthers probably won't enjoy the bent of the book though.

20926278.jpg

I just finished this one a week ago. I'm a huge Stephen King fan & I like most of his work, so I'm biased. But I think this is as good or better than any of his other works. Not to give any spoilers but there are some parts that are slower, more slice of life, & some that move quicker. But it's all well written & the characters are interesting. I do think that there are some elements, especially at the end, where he could have written a whole novel on things he covers in a few pages. Anyway, I did like it a lot.

Usually when I read I switch from fiction to non-fiction. So I'm about to start reading the book "The New Jim Crow : Mass Incarceration In The Age Of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander. It's title pretty much says what it's about. It's from 2010 but all the laws affecting this situation haven't changed so it's still relevant, but probably worse.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back