Who will be put thru waivers?

T

triplcrown

Lurker
LA Kings Fall, 2022 lineup:
* = DOESN'T HAVE TO PASS THRU WAIVERS, can be sent down safely.

FWs
Fiala/Kopitar/Kempe
Moore/Danault/Arvidsson
Iafallo/Byfield/*Kupari
Kaliyev/Lizotte/Vilardi

Extras: Grundstrom, Lemieux, JAD,
L.Anderson.

DEF
M.Anderson/Doughty
*Bjornfot/Roy
Edler/Durzi

Extras: Walker, Moverare,
+ (at least for a few games) Clarke??

Most likely to be put thru waivers?
fws----L Anderson, JAD
def----Moverare

Injuries would give us more spots to work with without sending people down. But who wants injuries?

And of course, someone suddenly getting hot and grabbing a roster spot, or emerging as an effective NHL player,
would also affect who stays up and who goes down.
Let's hope for some of that.

Any other opinions out there?

I mean, hey, I used red text, so you know this is critical.:sleep:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it be better to trade them than to lose them for nothing?

I think it would, for sure.

All summer I was waiting for news of, "Kings trade Vilardi [or JAD] for pick"

But it never happened.

A few other teams made player trades for picks during the summer, but not us.

Maybe Blake didn't even try.

Or, maybe he did try, and nobody wanted our guys(?)

I really was looking for a trade with maybe a conditional 2023 draft pick coming back,
depending on the player's performance during this season.

But . . . nada.

There's not a waiver eligible kid there that's going to pull better than a 4th. Blake has a good read on who might be valuable to someone else. I think he's going to roll the dice and if he times it right everybody else will be cutting rosters at the same time and won't have the room to make the claim.

Yesterday per media reports on LAKinginsider Walker skated with Roy. I think Toby's looking at some time in the A until they decide what they want to do with Moverare.

It's basically 16 forwards competing for 14 spots and 8 defensemen competing for 7 spots. Arvidsson may start on the IR, so we may only need to cut 1 forward at first.

McCellan mentioned in his presser yesterday that waiver-exempt status could play a role. To me, that's a signal that Kupari could be sent down and possibly Bjornfot.

Send those 2 down and with Arvidsson on the IR, the initial roster is set and no one has been lost to waviers. Then when Arvidsson returns, either Lias Anderson or JAD is set down.

Kupari and Bjornfot would then be the first call ups for when their are injuries which will happen.

if they are waiver exempt, they are getting sent down. In Bjornfot's case, i think that's an ok move. In Kupari's case, its entirely possible he deserves a spot, but Blake has definitely got himself hemmed in right now. I like a lot of what Blake has done so far, but he's definitely not given himself much flexibility in terms of roster space. It could work out in the Kings favor if we see a rash of injuries again, but at this point, you'd like to see guys who earn a spot get that spot.

if they are waiver exempt, they are getting sent down. In Bjornfot's case, i think that's an ok move. In Kupari's case, its entirely possible he deserves a spot, but Blake has definitely got himself hemmed in right now. I like a lot of what Blake has done so far, but he's definitely not given himself much flexibility in terms of roster space. It could work out in the Kings favor if we see a rash of injuries again, but at this point, you'd like to see guys who earn a spot get that spot.

I believe both you and HeadInjury are right in your assessments but sending down Bjornfot and especially Kupari feels like a big Organizational gaff. I understand the necessity but it really never should have progressed to this point. Then you mix in players ready to come up, such as Fagemo and Spence, and wow - I really feel for Blake as this is going to be a stressful year as GM.

Hopefully we see some movement at the conclusion of pre-season. I don't mind getting a poor return, or even waivers, for a player we don't see being able to get a legitimate chance to succeed on the Kings. Kings have always been pretty classy about this.

Locked On Kings reported Arvidsson is likely to be out for the 1st month or so.

That opens up a big chance for Grundstrom, Fagemo and Vilardi.

Durzi is also not expected back from some unspecified injury he has until the last exhibition game or 2.
But if Durzi takes longer, that will open up a D-spot for a short time.

I believe both you and HeadInjury are right in your assessments but sending down Bjornfot and especially Kupari feels like a big Organizational gaff. I understand the necessity but it really never should have progressed to this point. Then you mix in players ready to come up, such as Fagemo and Spence, and wow - I really feel for Blake as this is going to be a stressful year as GM.

Hopefully we see some movement at the conclusion of pre-season. I don't mind getting a poor return, or even waivers, for a player we don't see being able to get a legitimate chance to succeed on the Kings. Kings have always been pretty classy about this.

In Bjornfot's case, i actually think it benefits him to get sent down. He struggled last season, and it's not the worst thing for his development to work on his game with the reign. And that's not a bad thing. he needs to work for his spot on the team.

with respect to everyone else, i sort of agree. It's not an ideal situation to be in, but it's manageable. If you lose a Lias Andersson to waivers, you can probably stomach that (although i have a soft spot for the guy and given a healthy season i think he's got more potential), but if you wind up losing somebody of consequence, then you need to wonder wtf is going on. Additionally, and i know there's pros and cons here, but you've given yourself no room to fit Clarke in if he forces your hand.

Maybe... maybe Blake has some tentative trades available depending on how camp shakes out. Maybe... But most teams dont generally make trades in the pre-season. Too many hurdles to deal with.

Locked On Kings reported Arvidsson is likely to be out for the 1st month or so.

That opens up a big chance for Grundstrom, Fagemo and Vilardi.

Durzi is also not expected back from some unspecified injury he has until the last exhibition game or 2.
But if Durzi takes longer, that will open up a D-spot for a short time.

Durzi did not look very close to being ready today. Skated with the last group in a red jersey and did not do all of the drills. But....could be something that will heal up quickly, or he was only giving minimal effort.

In Bjornfot's case, i actually think it benefits him to get sent down. He struggled last season, and it's not the worst thing for his development to work on his game with the reign. And that's not a bad thing. he needs to work for his spot on the team.

with respect to everyone else, i sort of agree. It's not an ideal situation to be in, but it's manageable. If you lose a Lias Andersson to waivers, you can probably stomach that (although i have a soft spot for the guy and given a healthy season i think he's got more potential), but if you wind up losing somebody of consequence, then you need to wonder wtf is going on. Additionally, and i know there's pros and cons here, but you've given yourself no room to fit Clarke in if he forces your hand.

Maybe... maybe Blake has some tentative trades available depending on how camp shakes out. Maybe... But most teams dont generally make trades in the pre-season. Too many hurdles to deal with.

I agree with you on Bjornfot but worry that scratching him during the playoffs and now relegating him to the AHL (after over 100 games in the NHL and near full time duty last season) is going to shatter his confidence. Truth is we rushed him to the NHL way too quickly (which, to me, seemed like a big win at the time that he was able to make the jump so quickly) and now are playing cleanup with his development. Hopefully we don't see the same from Durzi and others. On the flip side we have taken way too long to bring others to the NHL, or, as you mentioned, not allowed room for those who may prove ready this preseason. At some point soon, unfortunately, we are going to have to give up some value to make room which likely means a mix of vets and prospects.

Also you are probably right in regards to trades this preseason, likely the trades will be through waiver wire losses (and potentially a pickup or two for the Reign).

On a side note, I really wish Clarke could play in the AHL as he seems ready to make the step up though not quite ready for the level of physical punishment he will take in the NHL.

I agree with you on Bjornfot but worry that scratching him during the playoffs and now relegating him to the AHL (after over 100 games in the NHL and near full time duty last season) is going to shatter his confidence. Truth is we rushed him to the NHL way too quickly (which, to me, seemed like a big win at the time that he was able to make the jump so quickly) and now are playing cleanup with his development. Hopefully we don't see the same from Durzi and others. On the flip side we have taken way too long to bring others to the NHL, or, as you mentioned, not allowed room for those who may prove ready this preseason. At some point soon, unfortunately, we are going to have to give up some value to make room which likely means a mix of vets and prospects.

Also you are probably right in regards to trades this preseason, likely the trades will be through waiver wire losses (and potentially a pickup or two for the Reign).

On a side note, I really wish Clarke could play in the AHL as he seems ready to make the step up though not quite ready for the level of physical punishment he will take in the NHL.

im not real worried about Bjornfot's confidence. Worst case they can sell him on the waiver issue. I dont know if we rushed him or not, he did have an injury and looked out of sorts coming back from that. TBH, he's the least of my concerns right now. That jam up in the forward group is probably what concerns me more.

If Bjornfot does go down to Ontario for a time, it could be a big plus if he gets to
play a lot with Jordan Spence.

Those 2 could be a dominant pair at the AHL level.
Having a month or 2 in a dominant defenseman role, could only
be a good thing for his development before Toby is finally brought up for good.

Also, if those 2 could establish some chemistry with each other, that could
only bode well for their possible future as a pair on the Kings.

I think Grundstrom-lizotte-Lemiuex form a really good 4th line this season. All 3 guys have underrated skill. So scratch this trio off the waiver wire list. Pretty sure the Kings are going to end up sending down Bjornfot, Spence, and any of the waiver exempt forwards out of necessity. That still likely leaves JAD and Lias Andersson having to clear, I do believe. This might also mean that Clarke goes back down to the OHL unless he continues to tally those primary assists, in which case Moverare might also have to risk being sent down

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back