Willie Mitchell

All it says is that Willie and some other former Canucks are investors in someplace where something inappropriate happened. Oh, that and Willie deleted his Twitter account suddenly, I think that’s the only hmmmm part. What to make of it?

I feel for the victims if what alleged is true. Bums me out if he ends up being involved.
He always seemed like a good guy but what do I know by just watching him play hockey on TV?

why do you make a post to discuss "not so good things" and then not even mention the details.

I've scoured Twitter and social media pretty thoroughly. None of the official media reports have any details, just the statement from the establishment.

There's plenty of speculative allegations from the proletariat. Apparently, according to rumor, a waitress at the establishment was passed out and WM was discovered in a non-consensual situation with her and the staff walked out in support of the victim. He's apparently deleted his Twitter and Instagram, and some people are even speculating that there was an arrest. All uncorroborated by official sources.

I've scoured Twitter and social media pretty thoroughly. None of the official media reports have any details, just the statement from the establishment.

There's plenty of speculative allegations from the proletariat. Apparently, according to rumor, a waitress at the establishment was passed out and WM was discovered in a non-consensual situation with her and the staff walked out in support of the victim. He's apparently deleted his Twitter and Instagram, and some people are even speculating that there was an arrest. All uncorroborated by official sources.

Hence my decision to just post that things are being discussed. I'm sorry if it required folks to spend 15 seconds to type his name into Google to see what was happening.

it's not that im incapable of looking, it's that the post comes off as wanting to basically gossip and rumormonger.

it's not that im incapable of looking, it's that the post comes off as wanting to basically gossip and rumormonger.

That was precisely why I did not post any substance - in case the allegations were false. Feel free to attribute whatever motivations to me you think I may have had, but they were the opposite of what you are stating.

What theoretically happens if a player, who has their name on the cup, is found guilty of behavior like this? Would they become victims of cancel culture? Is their name removed? Is the cup re-stamped? What if it was a hall-of-famer?

What theoretically happens if a player, who has their name on the cup, is found guilty of behavior like this? Would they become victims of cancel culture? Is their name removed? Is the cup re-stamped? What if it was a hall-of-famer?

Pretty sure that's a revolving policy. There's all sorts of people that have supporters for removal that are on the cup.

That was precisely why I did not post any substance - in case the allegations were false. Feel free to attribute whatever motivations to me you think I may have had, but they were the opposite of what you are stating.

fair enough. I'll chalk it up to misunderstanding.

So, the question - if a player is convicted of raping another human being - does he become "victim" of his own actions and get "cancelled" - I sure hope so. Frigging cancel culture cancelling rapists - crazy, eh?

I'm pretty sure Kings fans, AEG, NHL, and Hockey Hall of Fame will want to distance themselves from a (alleged) rapist/person who committed sexual assault as much as possible.

I don't think you are going too find to many people petitioning for "Keep the rapist on the Cup!"

...again this is all alleged.

So, the question - if a player is convicted of raping another human being - does he become "victim" of his own actions and get "cancelled" - I sure hope so. Frigging cancel culture cancelling rapists - crazy, eh?

Victim was the incorrect choice of word... Please don't get the impression that I'm sympathizing with these people.

My question was more aimed at the process involved in removing a name from the cup. The alloy used is malleable so I was wondering if the time and effort would be spent to smooth the cup and re-engrave the names of the team members without said offender or if their names were just crossed out. The article linked to the Hawks answered this. I just think it would look tacky to leave a name X'd out on the cup...

Victim was the incorrect choice of word... Please don't get the impression that I'm sympathizing with these people.

My question was more aimed at the process involved in removing a name from the cup. The alloy used is malleable so I was wondering if the time and effort would be spent to smooth the cup and re-engrave the names of the team members without said offender or if their names were just crossed out. The article linked to the Hawks answered this. I just think it would look tacky to leave a name X'd out on the cup...

Sorry, I read it as you questioning cancel culture, which I get in some situations, but not in the case of rape. In terms of what they do, no idea - Voynov is on there.

Speaking to the metalworking only, it would be easier to redo the entire ring than it would to "smooth out" the letters and leave a blank space that looked like nothing was ever there. I've only played with metal a little bit, but that's a really tall order. If it was a shallow engraving you could rub it out, my understanding is the punch is pretty deep and deforms the metal beyond the ability to do that. The X's have utility and leave no question as to what happened to anyone that gazes upon it. Sometimes the simple solution is the best one.

But that appears to be totally different. It happened during that Stanley Cup season and, had they investigated, he would never have had the name there to begin with. That's why it's x'd out. Things that happen 10 years later in private life is a lot more iffy. If Neil Armstrong had done something horrible 25 years later, he'd still be the first person on the moon. You might not make any new patches or stamps, but you wouldn't confiscate all the old patches. The name on the cup is for an accomplishment... The Hall of Fame would be an honor that can be removed. This would be similar to what happened in tennis with "Bob Hewitt." Tennis champ in the 60s, rapist in the 2000s. The Grand Slam events list him as champion on their historical rolls of honor, but he was expelled from the Tennis Hall of Fame.

I've got itchy "gif" fingers, this thread has me like:
elliot-stabler-olivia-benson.gif

[this in no way is to minimize the current situation, my post choice is to ease a little tension until the facts are available for all of us to process]

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back