Your First Kings Game?

April 14, 1974. Game 4 of the Stanley Cup 1st round against Chicago. The Kings won 5-1 on a Tommy Williams hat trick. Lost the series in 5 games though. The next time the Kings played the Hawks in the playoffs was 2013 in my 40th season following the Kings. Hawks won that series also....in 5 games.

jom

Wow, I was also at this game. It was my dad's birthday gift to me, and it was the first hockey game for the both of us. I became a huge fan of hockey, but he stuck with his love for baseball.

I'm gonna have to look up to see the exact date. Some time in the early 88-89 season....my husband & I had been listening to the games on the radio a bunch, but we didn't have cable to watch on TV. I thought the name "Luc Robitaille!" (and the way Bob Miller said it) was funny, so we get to the game, buy a program, I go to look up this "Robitaille" dude, thinking he was gonna be toothless or something, saw his picture and said, "oooh....I LOVE hockey!" . And thus began my true fandom. (and, yes, I told this story to Luc quite a few years ago with my husband standing next to me, lol) Stacia R. was also there and told me how she told her friends she met a guy named "Luc Robitussin" when they first started dating, lol.

Wow, I was also at this game. It was my dad's birthday gift to me, and it was the first hockey game for the both of us. I became a huge fan of hockey, but he stuck with his love for baseball.

There was another guy here on the forum, KINGS17 (or some such) who was also at this game but I don't think it was his first game though.

The one thing I remember most was how loud the crowd was when the Kings scored their first goal. The only way I explain how it "felt" was shell-shock. I had never heard anything like it. I had been to a few Lakers games at the Forum and maybe one Dodger game and there was NOTHING like that first goal. I think also the fans were ready to blow up that way since that would have been the Kings first playoff goal at home since the late 60s (the Kings got shut-out in game 3)....so that might have had something to do with it.

jom

There was another guy here on the forum, KINGS17 (or some such) who was also at this game but I don't think it was his first game though.

The one thing I remember most was how loud the crowd was when the Kings scored their first goal. The only way I explain how it "felt" was shell-shock. I had never heard anything like it. I had been to a few Lakers games at the Forum and maybe one Dodger game and there was NOTHING like that first goal. I think also the fans were ready to blow up that way since that would have been the Kings first playoff goal at home since the late 60s (the Kings got shut-out in game 3)....so that might have had something to do with it.

jom

Yes, that was a roar, as I recall. I also remember hearing all the sounds of the skates cutting the ice, the puck whacking off of sticks and the boards, and players vocalizing. Still with me all these decades later.

'74-'75 season, not sure which year.

My gf bro had tickets to the Fabulous Forum. great game, don't remember who we played but I loved it.
I used to play indoor, 5 on 5 soccer back in jolly cold, so very similar.
Went to a few games every year, very little tv until Prime Ticket started.
I went to two games of the rookie face-off in San Jose and the first preseason game up here last year.

GO KINGS

3/25/89 vs Edmonton at the GW Forum. 4-2 win and I took home one of those keychain hockey players. Also, I was in the nose bleeds and had the time of my life

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to look mine up for accuracy.

11/5/1977

3-1 win over the Rangers. My dad took me and my brothers. Been hooked since.

Don't know the opponent or exact date but it was January 1977 when I was in 7th grade. Couldn't get over the white ice under the lights or the size of the rink! Like you been a Kings fan ever since. Only other team to hold my heart like the Kings is my alma mater the UCLA Bruins. Now a hard charging Dodger fan again after they truly broke my heart in 1977 and 1978 ...

May 27th 1993, my oldest sister won the lotto for playoff tickets and got 4 singles all over the forum. Was a belated birthday present for me to go. I just remember it was loud as ****, we all had no idea that Gretzky coulda been thrown out for that high stick. Fraser sucks chants were interchangeable with Toronto sucks chants. Wildest part was we had a plan to meet up with my sister at a gas station on Prarie after, looking back i cant believe that worked. Everyone was so happy that night though, id only started watching and playing roller that fall so it was a pretty dream come true season. Hockey in June didnt count then.

My wife and I went to every home game that playoff year except two. Very, very fun memories. Thanks Marty!

Don't know the opponent or exact date but it was January 1977 when I was in 7th grade. Couldn't get over the white ice under the lights or the size of the rink! Like you been a Kings fan ever since. Only other team to hold my heart like the Kings is my alma mater the UCLA Bruins. Now a hard charging Dodger fan again after they truly broke my heart in 1977 and 1978 ...

Yeah, I know what you mean about the 77 and 78 Dodgers. ******ing Reggie Jackson got away with murder in game 4 in NY in 78...stuck his leg out. Lasorda went ballistic. Add to it the tragic 1975 Kings and the number of NFC Title games the Rams blew it was a terrible decade in the 70s. I'm still sore and that was 50 ******ing years ago.

jom

Last edited by a moderator:
1979 vs the NY Islanders at the Fab Forum. My buddy (that I first started playing hockey with) and I went down to Tower records on Beach Blvd and got tickets for two games. We got tickets for the Islanders and the Flyers.

I THINK mine was here in Ottawa against the pathetic (at that time) Sens in 1993 or 1994? I remember because it was exciting to be at a Kings game and actually see a real game BUT, the Sens who barely ever won, actually did. Daigle scored a goal and they were roasting Hrudey all night - chanting Kell-y, Kell-y. Even the public address announcer did it on the speaker, which seemed nuts and I'm sure he got in trouble for. I HATED it.

My first NHL experience - the Kings had training camp in Gatineau - 15 minutes from Ottawa in 1989. That was fun, although the day we went, Gretzky had a sore back and didn't show up. Overall a cool experience though.

Oo this is a good one. I cant remember exactly the game, but it was the 88-89 season. I was at a Lakers game at the Forum, and there was some huge cardboard cut out or poster of Gretzky following his trade to LA. I asked my dad what that was all about. He had no idea. Did not know what hockey was really. About 2 months later (I think in early January 89) we went to a Kings game vs the Hartford Whalers.

Been a fan ever since.

Edit - Per Wikipedia, must have been January 14, 1989

1981 vs Chicago. I was 5 and we had just moved down from Regina Saskatchewan. We had gone to many Regina Pats games but this was the NHL! Kings fell behind 3-0 early. Tied it up at 3 only to have some guy named Darryl Sutter score his second goal of the game in the third and the Blackhawk’s went back up. Kings pulled the goalie and tied it in the last minute. Final score was 4-4. Tony Esposito was goalie for Chicago. I went with my Dad and my “Uncle” Dale Armstrong who ended up being one of the greatest crew chiefs in drag racing history. For as small as I was, I still remember a lot from the night and have been hooked to Kings hockey ever since.

^^^ Great Story! Wow, Dale Armstrong Great driver too and legendary crew chief for Kenny Bernstein, "The King of Speed" First Top Fueler to go 300 MPH! RIP Dale.

a8bb45d826d11fa168b1815d50128b12.jpg

ArmstrongBernstein.jpg

dalearmstrong-2.jpg

March 16, 1995

Kings vs St Louis Blues: 2-2 Tie

My first game was in the Loge section at the Great Western Forum. It was one of the most amazing feelings ever catching a Kings game live. Old organ, David Courtney, Warren Wiebe Anthem singer, etc. Dan Quinn scored both Kings goals and Brendan Shanahan scored both STL goals. Got to see Wayne Gretzky play live for the first time and couldn't help but notice everytime he crossed the blue line with the puck, you can hear the crowd getting revved up. Kings were honoring Dave Taylor that night and i realized Tom Hanks was a few rows below us. After that night, i was hooked for life.

Back