***Buffalo Sabres vs. Los Angeles Kings GDT 1/24/24 7:30pm on BSW***

Doughty said it best. If they win a game then lose a game for the rest of the season they'll make the playoffs but they won't do anything once they get there.
The thing is, he's probably right, but the goal going into the season was to at least get through one round. I don't think this all falls on TM, but even if he can somehow get them to limp into the playoffs does anything think that they'll do the slightest bit of damage? If people still believe in TM, great. But if you think this is barely a playoff team and a first round loser at best, you have to make the move sooner rather than later. You can't let the season complete slip away and then use that as an excuse to make a change. You have to do it now.

What a joke of a team. Try giving DD the C on his jersey and bring up a bunch of guys from Ontario who want to play and not just collect paychecks.

What a joke of a team. Try giving DD the C on his jersey and bring up a bunch of guys from Ontario who want to play and not just collect paychecks.
There's pretty much nobody left in Ontario. Blake traded everyone away to get Fiala and PLD. And to dump the Peterson contract so that he could go all in on 2023-24.

Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed Tuch for the game winning goal and/or that it would be scored in the third period:

Both (2 Points):
Rog or Reg?
AngelEyes
VegasHockey
randdog
DRice
KernCoKingFan
Cross Traffic
puckoff
SaltyPuck
Nyssa42
sonnyboy11
notbob
HiFi
Dr. Tran

GWG Tuch (1 point):
Rogie-Vachon
jammer06
symbology
forum gold
dannybuoy1
Chateau Bow Wow
mugs
Shackleford
hornman
Liz4LA
Dexter

GWG third (1 point):
beady eye
Drum4pigs
pray4mojo
VCRW
JETS GARAGE
SirJW
Jerram
rinkrat
Bill Hicks

I really need to start going to bed after the first period. Staying up to watch whatever that was is not worth it.

The thing is, he's probably right, but the goal going into the season was to at least get through one round. I don't think this all falls on TM, but even if he can somehow get them to limp into the playoffs does anything think that they'll do the slightest bit of damage? If people still believe in TM, great. But if you think this is barely a playoff team and a first round loser at best, you have to make the move sooner rather than later. You can't let the season complete slip away and then use that as an excuse to make a change. You have to do it now.
A lot they need to do now. Kings have a clear deficit with the bottom 6, so it’d behoove Blake to start seriously looking at next season and talking to Todd or whomever replaces him about this lineup. It’s audition time.

Grundstrom is a 13th forward making 1.3M. Trade for any 6/7th pick you can and clear that cap. See what you might have in Thomas. Don’t care about the physicality Carl brings. Team is not going to be any worse without him in the lineup.

JAD is a 14th forward. Give Fagemo a proper go next to PLD.

Kaliyev has only produced next to Lizotte. Trade value low. Maybe provides something in a package. Tricky one but this was a season he needed to break out and how do you really feel going into next season with him on the roster? Who does he play with?

With Lizotte out it’s a perfect opportunity to play Turcotte. He’s going to be on the team next year anyway so give him something to build on. Yes, health issues. Because playing in the AHL is really keeping him healthy.

Do you resign Lizzo for 2M? For the PK and to bring along two young wingers I say absolutely. Who are those wingers? Thomas, Turcotte, Laf, and Fagemo are options. who’s on the third line with PLD? One of them if we’re lucky and also outside talent brought in unless Arvy is cheap and short term after surgery and produces with PL.

A lot they need to do now. Kings have a clear deficit with the bottom 6, so it’d behoove Blake to start seriously looking at next season and talking to Todd or whomever replaces him about this lineup. It’s audition time.

Grundstrom is a 13th forward making 1.3M. Trade for any 6/7th pick you can and clear that cap. See what you might have in Thomas. Don’t care about the physicality Carl brings. Team is not going to be any worse without him in the lineup.

Kaliyev has only produced next to Lizotte. Trade value low. Maybe provides something in a package. Tricky one but this was a season he needed to break out and how do you really feel going into next season with him on the roster? Who does he play with?

With Lizotte out it’s a perfect opportunity to play Turcotte. He’s going to be on the team next year anyway so give him something to build on. Yes, health issues. Because playing in the AHL is really keeping him healthy.

Do you resign Lizzo for 2M? For the PK and to bring along two young wingers I say absolutely. Who are those wingers? Thomas, Turcotte, Laf, and Fagemo are options. who’s on the third line with PLD? One of them if we’re lucky and also outside talent brought in unless Arvy is cheap and short term after surgery and produces with PL.
Arvidsson being out has left a giant sucking hole in the bottom six and it took half the season for it to really drain the life out of the team.

Insert Arvy and Laf moves to the 4th line where he belongs. Take some pressure off Laf and let him cook for about 9 minutes a night or send him down.

The organization needs to figure out if guys like Kaliyev or Grundstrom are part of the future. If not the time is now to either commit or turn the page. Just like they did with Bjornfot.

Everyone talks about how physical Grundstrom is, but how often do we even see it?

Arvidsson being out has left a giant sucking hole in the bottom six and it took half the season for it to really drain the life out of the team.

Insert Arvy and Laf moves to the 4th line where he belongs. Take some pressure off Laf and let him cook for about 9 minutes a night or send him down.

The organization needs to figure out if guys like Kaliyev or Grundstrom are part of the future. If not the time is now to either commit or turn the page. Just like they did with Bjornfot.
Yeah, Laf gets a lot of crap from folks here when he makes mistakes. He is a hell of a player at his age and experience. He is only in the lineup because he was the "best" option at the time. He was not ready for the NHL, but he was a better option than everyone else for the 3rd line. Cut the kid some slack.

Grundstrom has over 200 games played and has been at the NHL level much longer. He gets no slack from me.

I complained about Kaliyev's and Grundstrom's play early in the year and caught a lot of flack for it. Grundstrom either has not been guided by the coaches properly, or he just does not have the mind to play hockey at the NHL level. Kaliyev is still a promising younger player. He needs to figure it out and get more consistent.

I'm not even mad about what's going on right now, really just disappointed for the fanbase. 5 years ago, we were sold on "the plan" and that they were building a Stanley Cup contender. 5 years later we are arguably playing the worst hockey of any team in the NHL. Folks like me that have invested considerable money in tickets, parking not to mention the hour plus drive each way, all expecting to truly see a team that is a contender and quite honestly looked like one for the first 25-30 games. It's hard to understand how this team could fall off a cliff but it's very clear that there are far more problems than we were aware of based on Dewey and Kopi's comments post game. I was at the game last night and left with 11 minutes left, right after the 5th Sabres goal. I don't think I've ever left a game that early. I still have tickets to 9 games, 4 of which I have a commitment to attend because of out of town guests joining me. I'm fully at the point where I want to sell the remaining tickets unless this team finds a way to turn things around really quickly after the all star break. Gotta believe Friday's game vs the AVS will be an absolute bloodbath.

Just wanted to point out one positive from last night. Quinton Byfield played one of his most physical games as a King last night. He wasn’t just fighting through checks or winning board battles. He was hunting the puck and initiating contact with the purpose of separating the puck from the man. Finally using his size and speed to punish a bit. I keep thinking about the play he made to rub out Owen Power and cause a turnover.

He continues to work and grow on a game by game basis. It’s astounding to think he’s only 21 years old.

Kopi playing hurt is not helping the team. Did he call himself out for sucking up too many minutes while he is obviously impaired? What about Drew? Why is a 34-year old defenseman playing 26+ minutes/game? Please fire Todd now, Mr. Blake. His roster management alone should be enough grounds to show TM the door.

Kopi playing hurt is not helping the team. Did he call himself out for sucking up too many minutes while he is obviously impaired? What about Drew? Why is a 34-year old defenseman playing 26+ minutes/game? Please fire Todd now, Mr. Blake. His roster management alone should be enough grounds to show TM the door.
Doughty is a damn machine, but Kopi is gassed. I just can't believe we've been lucky enough to have two players of that caliber for so long -- the room and team is in serious trouble when we lose those players and the minutes they give us. Byfield's showing promising signs - maybe a Kopi replacement - Dubois is showing.. nothing. Serious concerns.

Doughty is a damn machine, but Kopi is gassed. I just can't believe we've been lucky enough to have two players of that caliber for so long -- the room and team is in serious trouble when we lose those players and the minutes they give us. Byfield's showing promising signs - maybe a Kopi replacement - Dubois is showing.. nothing. Serious concerns.
That’s exactly why the minutes given to those 2 guys need to be cut down! Recent history shows that overplaying both guys has not resulted in wins. Instead, it just shows the desperation of a coach who has no answers. What motivates the other 16 skaters when they are stuck sitting on the bench watching while the “leaders” eat up ice time yet fail to lead the team out of this mess?

That’s exactly why the minutes given to those 2 guys need to be cut down! Recent history shows that overplaying both guys has not resulted in wins. Instead, it just shows the desperation of a coach who has no answers. What motivates the other 16 skaters when they are stuck sitting on the bench watching while the “leaders” eat up ice time yet fail to lead the team out of this mess?
The rest of the roster was added very inefficiently and are unable to handle their roles and earn their paychecks? =/

Just wanted to point out one positive from last night. Quinton Byfield played one of his most physical games as a King last night. He wasn’t just fighting through checks or winning board battles. He was hunting the puck and initiating contact with the purpose of separating the puck from the man. Finally using his size and speed to punish a bit. I keep thinking about the play he made to rub out Owen Power and cause a turnover.

He continues to work and grow on a game by game basis. It’s astounding to think he’s only 21 years old.
Byfield is an absolute standout. Very happy with his play. Not always perfect but kid has shown incredible growth.

I recall most of us saying the same thing about TM 12 years ago :)
Okay, so 12 years ago it was one TM out and one DS in and that resulted in a Stanley Cup! Now we ”want” another TM gone, is it any coach with the initials DS available this time?? :cool:

And no, not the original one! Love him forever, but that boat has sailed…

Okay, so 12 years ago it was one TM out and one DS in and that resulted in a Stanley Cup! Now we ”want” another TM gone, is it any coach with the initials DS available this time?? :cool:

And no, not the original one! Love him forever, but that boat has sailed…
That wasn't the difference maker. Sutter wasn't really any better than TM until Carter showed up.

That wasn't the difference maker. Sutter wasn't really any better than TM until Carter showed up.
I don't think it gets talked about enough why Sutter was so effective as a coach. His greatest trait wasn't tactics or strategy. It was being a unifying force in the locker room. He gave all the guys someone to hate and prove wrong.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom