Skate Sharpening and hollows etc

S

spjon25

Lurker
I know this has been posted numerous times, but can someone post some info on skate sharpening and the different hollows etc. and what people think are good for beginners etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Mods, do you think we can get a sticky on this one for the top of the page so it does not get lost. Thanks

For hockey (not counting goalies), the most common are usually 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8". For a beginner, I'd probably say 1/2" - a lot of times, if you don't specify, that's what you'll get anyway.

3/8" is good for better maneuvering, cutting turns, etc. You may lose some speed with it (though for lighter people, 3/8" is good because you get a little more grip into the ice). 5/8" is a shallower hollow - good to get some more speed going, but less grip on the ice, so your turns might not be as sharp.

Another issue is the softness/hardness of the ice. The more advanced player will notice the difference in edges and ice condition more, of course. But generally, people take a more shallow hollow on the softer ice.

Last thing - depending on how often you skate and sharpen them, you'll eventually need new steel blades. These are usually about $20 a piece, give or take a bit. Don't let them get too low!

I'd add this: I've seen a lot of recreational hockey players who get their skates sharpened on a monthly (or even less often basis) because it's "too sharp." This develops bad skating habits and not making the best use of your edges. A couple of skates to get used to the feel of fresh edges (meaning sharpening them every 2-3 skates early on) might be the best bet, just to force yourself to get accustomed to that feeling.

I used to get a 3/8" hollow, but have been going 1/2" lately (for some reason, since I got here in Ohio, I've felt more comfortable with 1/2"). I'll probably try out the 3/8" again after I get new blades put on.

Here's a good site:

http://noicingsports.com/employee_bios1_2.html

And another:
http://www.redi-edgeice.com/skate-sharpening-tips.aspx
(this mentions 1" hollow - probably for speed skaters would be my guess)

The shallow hollow will be easier to stop with then a deeper hollow depending on the hardness of the ice..

Great info b.b.orr!

I like the 1/2 inch hollow which is what most sharpeners are cut for.

It's a good idea to write your preference on the bottom of the skate (1/2", 3/8", 5/8", etc.) with a sharpie felt pen so the guy sharpening the skates will know, especially if you drop them off to be picked up later.

there's my 2 cents.

I like a freshly sharpened 1/2". When I had competent people doing my skates I sometimes did 7/16", especially if thought I wouldn't get them sharpened for a while. I felt like I couldn't stop if I did 3/8". Never saw a reason to try larger than 1/2".

FYI - most modern style goalies run 3/8"-1/2"
I have a friend that goes 1/4". I run 1/2"

Player skates, 3/4" at my size I chop a bit too much at anything deeper. Though if I do outside edge skating drills, I do well at a deeper hollow, worse in a shallow. My regular power turning does pretty well at 3/4"

Last edited:
... Player skates, 3/4" at my size I chop a bit too much at anything deeper. Though if I do outside edge skating drills, I do well at a deeper hollow, worse in a shallow. My regular power turning does pretty well at 3/4"

With my age & skill, my choice of a shallow 3/4" hollow is all about stopping reliably and avoiding joint injuries .... the skating faster part? Well, that's a hopeless pipedream.

Can you explain Countouring and Profiling please? What are the differences, do they work?

Last edited:
Can you explain Countouring and Profiling please? What are the differences, do they work?

Sorry for the late response. Sticky-ied threads are evidently less visible in my consciousness.

Contouring is simply cutting the blades to take out any manufacturing variances that leaves the left & right skates non-identical when you take them out of the box. You might think of it as the equivalent of Lasik surgery for skates. It is completely independent of what hollow, radius, or lie you choose (or accept by default).

I'm not sure if this is the strict definition of Profiling, but I'll take a guess that it is when you choose to have your skates cut with a non-default radius & lie (everybody understands hollow, but many players are never informed about the options for tweaking their radius and lie).

i just got a new pair of skates, should i sharpen them out of the box or skate on them first?

Look at the blade you should be able to tell if they have ever been sharpened. If you bought them online they probably need to be sharpened first.

i just got a new pair of skates, should i sharpen them out of the box or skate on them first?

Skates are NEVER sharp 'out of the box'. They always need to be sharpened, and the pro shop where (and when) you buy them should do it without extra charge.

More importantly, you need to get them baked at the time of purchase. Having the boots molded to the contours of your feet is critical to having a short break-in time.

1. Purchase skates
2. Have them baked and sharpened at time of purchase*
3. Wait at least 24 hours (I'd wait 48 to be safe)
4. Then you can go for your first skate

* purchasing skates via internet means making a separate trip to some local pro shop to have the baking and sharpening done ... probably for some nominal fee, as they aren't making any money on the skate purchase.

I've been experimenting with different depth hollows recently.

First I tried a 3/8" and found stopping to be a very ginger proposition; but as expected, digging in to the ice felt really secure. In fact, my acceleration seemed to benefit as well...I weigh about 150 lbs without any gear on, so I wonder if I fall into the category of one of those light people who do well with deeper hollows because it allows us to dig in deeper. I felt like my first shove had a lot more power than before.

Yesterday I switched to a 5/8" and I was sliding all over the ice at first, but gradually I got more and more used to it. The pro shop guy recommended that I unlace my skates by one eye, to give me more control over my edges. This was also a rather tricky thing to navigate, having never done that before. I'm not so sure I like this, though; I feel like I'm having trouble digging in with my inside leg in turns, and the general feeling of sliding all over the ice is unnerving, especially having just come from the 3/8" hollow.

Here's my question; exactly what is it about a shallower hollow that lends to speed? Is it the gliding of the blade on the ice, or is it something to do with the fact that your skate digs in less on each push than it does with a deeper hollow? Or both?

... Yesterday I switched to a 5/8" and I was sliding all over the ice at first, but gradually I got more and more used to it. The pro shop guy recommended that I unlace my skates by one eye, to give me more control over my edges. This was also a rather tricky thing to navigate, having never done that before. I'm not so sure I like this, though; I feel like I'm having trouble digging in with my inside leg in turns, and the general feeling of sliding all over the ice is unnerving, especially having just come from the 3/8" hollow. ...

Another thing I only discovered a year ago to improve my skating was how to deal with my socks. I used to do the following:

(a) put on regular knee-high socks
(b) put on these elastic/spandex shin-guard holders
(c) put on hockey socks
(d) put skates on
(e) tuck (b) & (c) into top 1" of skate boot
(f) lace up skates & tighten
(g) stuff shin-guard into (b) behind tongue of skate boot (which is then pushed out & down)

..... then hockey pants & rest of equipment (NO tape!)

DUMB! DUMB! DUMB! DUMB! DUMB!

Now I do the following:

(a) put on regular knee-high socks
(b) put on hockey socks
(c) put skates on
(d) lace up skates & tighten (hockey socks NOT tucked into top at all)
(e) pull bottom of hockey socks down over boot top
(f) tuck the laces (already firmly tightened) under hockey socks
(g) stuff shin-guard between regular socks and hockey socks with bottom of shin guard now going in front of tongue of skate boot
(h) wind clear plastic hockey tape (easily tearable kind) from bottom to top: one loop at bottom around top of ankles (now your laces can't accidentally come undone during your game/practice!), continue with 1/2 to 1 loop diagonally around calf to get to one more loop just below the knee

..... then hockey pants & rest of equipment

First, tape secures so much better than those elastic/spandex holders. Why didn't anyone tell me?

Second (finally addressing AutomaticBzooty's issues), having only the one regular sock layer inside the top of my boot (below / at / and above the ankles) gives me so much better control over my skating that I don't know whether to kick myself for not experimenting sooner or kick the more experienced players for not pointing out my ignorance over the years in various locker rooms.

... Here's my question; exactly what is it about a shallower hollow that lends to speed? Is it the gliding of the blade on the ice, or is it something to do with the fact that your skate digs in less on each push than it does with a deeper hollow? Or both?

The shallow hollow = less surface area of metal blade in contact with the ice.

Less surface area = less friction = greater speed & less fatigue.

Last edited:
I have a question about sharpening and reading this thread actually has me a little confused.

First my question. I've got about 4 hours on my blades since they were sharpened and I noticed today that my right outside edge is completely gone, there is no sharpness to it at all. Not a fun thing to discover in the midst of a turn. The inside edge isn't much better. My left skate still feels sharp. Is it possible to have one skate sharpening wear out so much quicker than the other or was it a botched sharpening?

And now, the reason for my confusion. I was at Hockey Giant and the guy there recommended a 3/8" sharpening because of my small size. Now, after reading this thread, it seems that I should've gone for a 1/2" sharpening to compensate for my lack of size and weight on the blade. I don't have a problem generating speed and I'm comfortable turning, so I'm thinking a deeper hollow might be good for me. Is that the correct thinking?

First my question. I've got about 4 hours on my blades since they were sharpened and I noticed today that my right outside edge is completely gone, there is no sharpness to it at all. Not a fun thing to discover in the midst of a turn. The inside edge isn't much better. My left skate still feels sharp. Is it possible to have one skate sharpening wear out so much quicker than the other or was it a botched sharpening?

Yes its very possible that you favor one side over the other which causes one blade to dull faster. As you get more experience on your skates this problem should go away.

And now, the reason for my confusion. I was at Hockey Giant and the guy there recommended a 3/8" sharpening because of my small size. Now, after reading this thread, it seems that I should've gone for a 1/2" sharpening to compensate for my lack of size and weight on the blade. I don't have a problem generating speed and I'm comfortable turning, so I'm thinking a deeper hollow might be good for me. Is that the correct thinking?

Hallows are all about personal feel. Shallow hollows more speed and easier stopping. Deeper hollows easier turning and little tougher on the stopping. 1/2 is right in the middle.

If you are still trying to learn how to hockey stop I would try 5/8 inch hollow.

Actually, being somewhat light myself (5'9", 153 lbs), I have to say that personally I like the deeper hollows a lot better. I use a 3/8", since I've never had any problems stopping, but have always had more problems with acceleration. The deeper hollow lets me dig deeper into the ice, and get a more solid first push. I recently experimented with both 1/2" and 5/8", and I was sliding all over the place, and wasting a lot of energy by not being able to get a good grip on the ice.

I say try them both out! I spent three weeks in February with a different depth hollow each week.

Last edited:
I think BobbyO messed up his wording.

The sharper or deeper hollow allows for more edging. Tighter turns and quick acceleration.

The less sharp or shallower hollow allows for speed but, without the edges it will take you longer to get there.

The heavier you are, the less hollow you need.

There is a balance and comfort you have to discover yourself. If you only play once a week it doesn't matter much.

Back
Top Bottom