Skate Sharpening and hollows etc

I'm around 6'4" & 240lbs. I am just learning to skate. They had my skates done at 5/8. Like Bzooty said it feels like I'm sliding all over the place. Should I have my skates changed or do I just suck?

So I read all the info and I think the 1/2" would probably be good for me, I am only 120lbs, so I was just wondering if 3/8" would really slow me down that much seeing as I can't really dig my edges in that much.

ive always had mine 7/16
its good for turning and its not meant for speed

I'm around 6'4" & 240lbs. I am just learning to skate. They had my skates done at 5/8. Like Bzooty said it feels like I'm sliding all over the place. Should I have my skates changed or do I just suck?

Like you I'm 6' 4', 210 lbs. My new Vapors are at 1/2 and that hollow works for both speed and maneuverability for me. I have a long stride and generate a lot of power in turns. I'm going to add a little forward pitch on the next sharpening though so I don't sit back due to my height.

anyone know anything about pitch?

my skates have a pitch adjustment and i change em from n to -1, there is also a +1 option. it seems like it just rockers the front a little bit, i kind of liked it and i think its made for a smoother stride and easier stopping.

Adding pitch to the skate forces the skater to bend the knee's and standing up adding to a better stride. This also helps the skaters awareness.

For some people it takes some getting use to the feeling.

Most grafs have the forward pitch. I havnt skated with any other brands with there pitch design.

However,

Once you are use to it you wont want to go back.

If you skate backwards alot. I think you would rather have a neutral pitch. Probably mostly about feel.

A lot of it is learning how to use your edges. There's some difference between a 1/2" (standard) and a 5/8" hollow, but I don't think I would have noticed the difference when I first started skating.

As far as learning to use your edges go, I'd recommed either taking a few lessons or reading a book like Laura Stamm's Power Skating. You won't find many books locally, but you can find plenty of good hockey and skating books on Amazon.

Personally I have never had any issues with tight turns so believe it or not, I use a 7/8 cut. No I am not a goalie

Personally I have never had any issues with tight turns so believe it or not, I use a 7/8 cut. No I am not a goalie
Damn,

I know coffey used a 1/2, but 7/8?

My hats off to you, Im a big fan of the 7/16 personally.

I've been using 1/2 since I started and I can't do a 2-foot hockey stop correctly. Last night, I finally managed to get the hockey stop going with two feet, but I can't remember the last time I got my skates sharpened. I'm thinking of going to 9/16 or 5/8.

Advice?

I've been using 1/2 since I started and I can't do a 2-foot hockey stop correctly. Last night, I finally managed to get the hockey stop going with two feet, but I can't remember the last time I got my skates sharpened. I'm thinking of going to 9/16 or 5/8.

Advice?
Leave the 1/2 inch and practice, practice, practice.

If you go to a real large hollow you will develop bad habits more likely than not. I mean, a 9/16 is not extreme or anything, but 1/2 is what most pro shops would suggest you use as your learning.

Just try to remember the technique you used to stop, and then apply it to skating with the fresh blades.

Leave the 1/2 inch and practice, practice, practice.

If you go to a real large hollow you will develop bad habits more likely than not. I mean, a 9/16 is not extreme or anything, but 1/2 is what most pro shops would suggest you use as your learning.

Just try to remember the technique you used to stop, and then apply it to skating with the fresh blades.

I think they were getting pretty dull. I can stop on one foot, like a one-foot hockey stop. Like turning a snowplow into a hockey stop with my foot perpendicular to my direction of motion( outside, rear foot ). I can't do 2 feet though, the foot under my body judders or skips on the ice. Is it a sharpness problem or a learning to skate problem?

I think they were getting pretty dull. I can stop on one foot, like a one-foot hockey stop. Like turning a snowplow into a hockey stop with my foot perpendicular to my direction of motion( outside, rear foot ). I can't do 2 feet though, the foot under my body judders or skips on the ice. Is it a sharpness problem or a learning to skate problem?

the condition of the ice can also affect how your skates respond in a hockey stop. if the ice is too cold or the air is very dry, it can feel brittle and give you that chattering effect, the opposite of warm or humid weather making the ice feel sluggish, like you're skating on pudding.

Just went from 1/2 to 9/16 and I'll probably go even further. I love the speed and ability to stop without digging in too hard. The guy that did my skates said he was trained where the Red Wings used to practice in the '80s and some would get a one-inch cut. Interesting

I usually skate with a 9/16 hollow, but I will move up or down 1/8 depending on ice conditions.

I like a deeper hollow on harder ice (Panorama or TSC) versus the slush I play on at Burbank.

Here's a chart of hollows used by the Pens.
hollowchart.jpg

Can someone recommend a good sharpener at one of these rinks:
- Westminster
- OC Ice Palace
- Anaheim
- Hockey Giant

I want to get both mine and my son's blades profiled for the first time and the sharpeners at my home rink are just the kids that work in the shop.

Don't Stop Believin'!

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom