Tales from the beer league part 2

^ That sounds like a wild one JamDawg! It actually reminds me of a player on our team that just won't shut-up, he isn't a dirty player per say, but he just never STFU so ends up getting an extra penalty tacked on to his original penalty. I kid you not, his nickname is, 2 & 10.

After not playing for a month, I think? I am going to do a public skate session at lunch today, the rink gives us 5 "free" public skate sessions per season you sign up for. I checked my account and still have two sessions left, woot! I'm also going to be subbing on Friday night on the Copper team I sub on from time to time. Expecting some rink rust, but cardio wise, I've been going to the BMX track a couple times a week for the last three weeks, that place is a heck of a work out!

Not a league game, our academy had a Thanksgiving special on Friday night. Mini got to skate out with me. Our "high point" of the night was him getting and assist and me scoring the goal. I came in off left wing and he crossed behind me from center and I dropped him the puck and drove the net yelling for him to shoot it. Little sh*t sniped me right in the bag from behind. The puck fell forward from my crotch and I managed to corral it and wrap it behind the net for the goal before crumpling. Still it was a great skate.

So the last week had a thursday night 1-9 blowout loss and sunday nights redemptive 7-2 win. Both games were 10:30 affairs and total killers the next day. I'm more awake today than Friday but definitely sorer. The less we speak of the thursday blowout the better but I will say its never cool as a captain to turn down a running clock on a stinker when you had a 10:30 start. There's no lessons to be learned that night. The win was interesting in that we got up 2-1 in the first despite being outshot 15-6 in the first. The legit shot their wad and then we owned them the rest of the way finishing 35-35 in shots at the final horn. I did get an apple on a great tip from a shot I launched at the point. Not the prettiest goal of the night though, that one goes to our F1 swooping in front of the net 15 seconds into the game. Their defenceman had the puck behind the net, stepped out and fired the puck right off the back of our forwards skate and back into the net.

Lakewood Ice scheduled a game for the Copper team I sub on for this Friday at 5:30pm. 🙃🥸🤷🏻‍♂️ Like, how many grown adults could even make it to that game time!?!

5C795B3D-A814-49DF-8597-3CA97436721B.jpeg

Tonights game comes as a 10:30 affair, I did get back on the ice for a lunch skate and followed that with an academy skate that evening the friday before last. Then got a league game in last sunday where we pulled out a 3-3 tie against a team that had blown us out 9-1 previously, so progress. After being in St louis all weekend drinking beer and eating crap I'm not looking forward to my performance but maybe the grease I'll be sweating will help me squeeze past someone for a break on net.

These 10:30 games are killers the next day, but at least the last two were big wins. 8-1 last week and 6-3 tonight. Had a goal and assist in both but was robbed off the scoresheet of 2 other points in the first and our line hit more posts than the 5 goals we contributed last night. Weird how those things go. Next week is an 8pm game but at the rink 15 minutes farther from my house. I guess I'll take it. The one good note was the goal I scored last night was a goal I couldn't have scored before surgery. Dropped pretty low on an off side one time tap to get it past the goalie. No way my knee would have held up a year ago. So progress.

So my team, El Jefe Spyders, played last night for the "bronze" level championship. The winner gets a beer mug, and the loser a shot glass. I'm happy to say that I added a beer mug to my collection, but it was at a cost. I'm currently typing with a splint on my ring finger of my left hand.
IMG_7515.jpg

I decided to block a shot and broke my finger in the process. And in true hockey player fashion, I continued to play. The doctor said it should heal pretty quickly. Believe it or not, this broken finger hurt more than my broken leg about 10 years ago. Yes... that one was also from playing hockey.

We are four games into our new season, and our new division, Bronze North. We won last night so that makes us 2-2 on the season. Most noticeable difference so far is every team is consistently faster than all the teams went played in Bronze South.

2-2 seems like you're in the right place. Hopefully everything is within a couple goals too. Getting back on the ice for the first time in a month and it's against the first place team

2-2 seems like you're in the right place. Hopefully everything is within a couple goals too. Getting back on the ice for the first time in a month and it's against the first place team
How did it go JamDawg?

Man, we lost 7-2 on Tuesday night. The game was fairly close up until early in the third when they blew it wide open. We actually scored in the first 13 seconds of the game! That was abiut the only highlight.

The other teams in this division play very well together and I noticed quite a few very well executed break outs from the opponent Tuesday night. Same with o-zone entry’s. They clearly attack with a plan…unlike us.

We went down 4-0, was 0s til about five to go in the third and they got one. Then we did the penalty parade (I got hit with a board when a dude tried to set a pick behind the net...he was smaller than me so it was unsuccessful, but the ref didn't believe the carnage could be an accident) and ended up losing 4-0. They had the right 10 skaters for the game. I will say the refs were cool though, our goalie caught a puck on his thumb, busted his nail and it started bleeding. We asked for a timeout and tried to tape him up. The ref went to the locker and got him a band aid on his own cuz he knew we were gonna do something janky.

So we had the monday night slot due to the state tournament eating up all the refs and ice slots this past weekend. I actually prefer it since they usually do the last games on the weekdays a little earlier than on Sundays. We were playing the team right in front of us in the standings but this time we had a full complement of 13 skaters. Unfortunately i played like dogshit even if I think I ended up +1 on the night. We took the game 7-5 and killed the full 2 minutes of 5-3. The bad part of that was we had 3 guys in the box and so it was the first 30 seconds of the other 5-3 that they scored one and still had a 5-3 to go. We did get a goal out of the box with our last guy who broke out to center ice and immediately was hit with a clearing pass to go in uncontested. In all it was a good competitive game, I just wish I was up to snuff for it.

Played the 10pm slot again last night. This time against a team up one division from us. They were short and only had 8 skaters. Of course it was all their young guys who could show up to a 10pm game. All I can say is we goalied them. They probably outshot us 40-15. They actually got the first goal with about 11 to go in the third (I took the minus, just stepped on the ice long enough to skate into our zone and watch em score). We got the tying goal with about 3 mins to go though when their goalie cheated to our guy in the slot and an impossible angle goal slipped in. With 1:40 to go both teams decided to just go for it, we got a rush, then they did and somehow our defensemen threaded a pass through three forecheckers towards me. I tried to reach for it an turn at the same time and missed the puck. When I got my head up though I realized the only 2 people behind me were our other two forwards lagging on the forecheck. Off they went on an uncontested 2-0 for the gwg. The last 12 seconds after that were hairy but we held em. Will absolutely take the win, but it was all credit to the goalie for keeping us in this one.

Back
Top Bottom