The All Things MLS, NWSL, USMNT/USWNT et al Thread

3 am LA start time, Sweden has a +8 goals differential, no losses in group play and has allowed 1 goal in three games.
giphy.gif
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

I can see the USA playing tentatively against the Swedes. They will most likely play not to lose against the firepower of the Swedes and that will prove to be the wrong tactic. 3-0 Sweden.

I can see the USA playing tentatively against the Swedes. They will most likely play not to lose against the firepower of the Swedes and that will prove to be the wrong tactic. 3-0 Sweden.
dr-spaceman-opposite.gif

Whoa. (Preface)My eye is not as refined as you guys so I will defer to you if my assessment seems off but every choice team USA made was the aggressive one. The first half the pitch was tilted for sure, all USA but team, we got our looks and shots off but Suecia (thank you telemundo) defense was stellar..now, their keeper put on a clinic ALL DAY. Amazing. And on the other end our keeper was so aggressive it bordered on reckless that I thought she was going to be burned on the world's stage. Nope. Morgan's leadership was present but she was not the best player on the team, maybe not her fault. Rodman led the charge in my mind and was subbed out at the half and they may have lost that vibe(or their legs) in the second. The Swedes stayed tough.

Down to the pks, this broke my soul. I am ten years older than when the match started and needed to pee the entire time (yes i was watching the reply, shut it, drama for drama's sake is awesome)both matching goal for goal then, a swedish miss, hope followed by three attempts of missing a yawning net to end the game, an effing post(!) and then Suecia with the dagger. Blank stares from the squad and a dog pile of yellow and blue at mid-field.

Not convinced the better team won but I did get my gutty loss.

Eff.

The ladies ran into a wall of a goalkeeper.
Credit to the Swedes. Their keeper was world class.

Sad to see Rapinoe go out on a pk like that.

Again, no finish. Sure they met a keeper that was outstanding, but the lack of finishing in this tournament haunted them throughout.

Failure at the Olympics, now failure at the World Cup…..sack the coach. He can’t win the big international tournaments. USWNT deserves better. Take the time to get a world class coach.

USA played much better today and yes the Swedes goalie was outstanding. My issue with the USA team is scoring 4 goals in 4 games while being the #1 team in the world. That was pathetic! I’m not blaming the coach, a lot of these players have been there before. They scored one goal against a competitive team and they had to come from behind to eke out that draw. They did score 3 against Viet Nam. I believe Carli Lloyd was right on with her assessment after the Portugal game.

Boy this Inter-Miami-Barca club is playing some beautiful football. So much fun to watch.
Sure the competition from LMX and MLS clubs is lower, but seriously, Messi's form is vastly better than it was at PSG.
Dude looks like the same guy that won the World Cup. I think he is quite enjoying MLS/Miami vs Europe.

However, Miami's (poor) defense and Tata's tactics of playing VERY high makes for counter attacking goals in droves.
Then again, it only emboldens Messi and Busquets to work their magic.

USA was a heartbreaker. Finally they controlled possession, but just didn't have any clinical finishing. Any change if Macario or Swanson weren't hurt? I don't know. Scoring 1 goal in 3 games ain't gonna get it done and certainly is not the US.

Thought Rapinoe was a dud. Her crosses were bad and she wasn't all there. And that PK. Sad to see but she's still a hero.

Didn't like waiting till the 119th minute for subs. Bring on two ice cold players and probably expect one of them to miss a PK. Feel terrible for Smith, she looked absolutely crushed. Swedish goalkeeper was on it. Coach gotta go.

Only good news - the Wave get Morgan back sooner rather than later. Hiyo!

Messi - the media LOVES this. Can't help but smile. Saudi league my ****. :)

Last edited:
Um okay...

LOS ANGELES (Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2023) – The LA Galaxy today announced that the club has signed English forward Billy Sharp through the end of the 2023 MLS season with a club option for 2024. Sharp, who will occupy an international roster slot, will be added to the Galaxy roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
Sharp, 37, joins LA having recorded 266 goals and 75 assists in just over 690 appearances across 19 seasons played in the English football league system. In 377 appearances (254 starts) across all competitions with Sheffield United FC, Sharp recorded 129 goals and added 44 assists in 12 seasons (2004-05, 2007-09, 2015-23), playing a key role in the club winning English Football League One during the 2016-17 campaign and helping the Blades earn Premier League promotion in 2018-19. Notably, Sharp holds the record for the most goals scored in the English Football League Championship with 130 goals scored in 399 appearances in the Championship.

G's looking "Sharp". lolz

Could be a shrewd starter signing to finish out this season, and possibly be an off the bench guy for next season.

G's have nothing to lose at this point, and everything to gain from a veteran like Sharp.
Hopefully he still has it for the remaining of this season.

G's will have 2 DP spots for next season to fill.....Maybe 3 if/when MLS changes the rules for next season.

Clearly Dejan and Judd are not cutting it...on paper, Sharp is better.

After Spain's win over Sweden, the USNWT was clearly not as good as people predicted. At least now they will be the underdog and not the top dog.

Messi - 9 goals in 6 matches in League's Cup.

Not only is he tearing it up, but he has brought up everyone's playing level.

Sure they got a legend at LB and a legend DM, but Josef is getting his groove back, and the rest of the InterMiami scrubs are looking brilliant. Miami continues to play beautiful football..

Let's see if they can keep the train rolling when MLS comes back, and they find themselves at the bottom of the table. What then?

After Spain's win over Sweden, the USNWT was clearly not as good as people predicted. At least now they will be the underdog and not the top dog.
England v. Spain. Hmpft. Good enough. It will give me an opportunity to spiral into "The Crown" on Netflix.

Came to the party late, everyone was effing right. Stupid everyone. Caught up, and a couple of things. The re-castings are killing me. Especially Charles. He went from this guy:
giphy.gif

Nailed it.
to this sexy beast (way, way, too hot), during Diana gets nuts years.
sub-buzz-2187-1634139655-58.jpg

But my absolute favorite re casting pair:
30c511d7ab6835577891535ffdf1693a.gif

Genius.

K. done.

On to the match:
For King and Country!

So Antoine Griezmann wants to come to MLS, eh?

G's got two open DP spots...swap out Costa for Griezmann. Do it!!!!!!!!

.....Please don't go to the Goats.
Come on Kuntz, get this guy, don't let him fall to your former employer.

So Antoine Griezmann wants to come to MLS, eh?

G's got two open DP spots...swap out Costa for Griezmann. Do it!!!!!!!!

.....Please don't go to the Goats.
Come on Kuntz, get this guy, don't let him fall to your former employer.
I don't know. Griezmann is only 32, and wants to "finish his career" in mls. That tells me the G's may go for him in 4 years or so...and maybe 2 years after that when Saudi Arabia offers him 7 x what MLS can offer.

Just dropping in to say go Lionesses!

....and as always.......F the royal family.
Moog: Rooting for the Lionesses, eh? Same. But, I'm half English (not a brag, more of a secret-shame, shhh!) half Latina. This feels like a Derby. It should be! 3am start time? oof. Being a morning person is really, really going to annoy my neighbor for my replay watching (thanks telemundo via peacock) in Spanish at the appropriate volume for the WC championship.

Remind me: Do the Lionesses have the same PK success rate as their tragic male counter-parts? lol.

Royal family exception (for now!) from the f**kery: that kid (George)with the chubby cheeks and poise of an old soul is kind of my guy. Georgie-boy in all his glory:
images

It would make sense for the USWNT to go after Wiegman right? I mean I know she's contracted with England through 2025 and the FA won't let her go, but........

Mark my words....it's gonna be end up being Jesse Marsch. :69:

Jaw dropping prices for the League's Cup final in Nashville. $10-11k a seat?!?!?!

Cheapest $500-700 each?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom