Groceries The semi-irregular "Cool stuff at Trader Joe's" thread

Sweet Potato Fries. Dolphin approved. :good:

sweetpotatofrites.jpg

One potato, two potato, sweet potato pie! :dancing-smiley:

I have been drinking and enjoying Trader Joe's Jasmine tea for years! :tea:

traderjoesjasminegreentea.jpg

And I am never going to get tired of the fact that the packet has a Clive Barker quote!

CrJq0EFUIAA230i.jpg

evil:

We were looking for a shrimp/salmon marinade for the bbq...this is lovely.

Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese

wn-hatch-chile-mac-cheese.png

I normally just make my own Mac & Cheese, but I wanted to try this because of the addition of Hatch chile.

679-2T.jpg

It's not particularly too spicy, but it does give this a bold southwest taste. I enjoyed it and it's good when I am too lazy (or drunk) to make my own, haha. ;)

Last edited:
OMG, the "Inside Out Carrot cookies" are outstanding. They are 2 1/2 " across and about an inch wide. Bad thing is they only have six in the pack

Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese

wn-hatch-chile-mac-cheese.png

I normally just make my own Mac & Cheese, but I wanted to try this because of the addition of Hatch chile.

679-2T.jpg

It's not particularly too spicy, but it does give this a bold southwest taste. I enjoyed it and it's good when I am too lazy (or drunk) to make my own, haha. ;)

Damn I don't like agreeing with the dolphin, but I just tried this stuff and it's really good.

Anyone try the S'mores ice cream sandwiches yet? I HATE marshmallow, and still love these.

Damn I don't like agreeing with the dolphin, but I just tried this stuff and it's really good.

Y'all need to keep an eye out for the circulars of your neighborhood Latino grocers (El Super, Northgate, etc). Every year, they have Hatch Chile roasting events. The chiles are available in huge burlap sacks (~30 lbs, and usually ~$30), and you just take them outside and they'll roast them for you. Take them home, put them into either vacuum bags or Ziplocs (squeeze all the air out) and freeze what you aren't going to use in the near future. They keep a very long time (we've used some that had been frozen for over a year, in Ziplocs, and noticed no off or reduced flavor or heat). Keep what you'll use and gift/sell some to friends.

The events usually happen in very late July or very early August and run to September. They usually travel from store to store, so keep an eye out to make sure you catch the one closest to you.

My wife's maternal side of the family comes from New Mexico, so Hatch chiles have been a part of my life for the last couple decades. I'm working on getting some of the family recipes finally written down, and maybe will share some if I ever get it done. The enchiladas alone are worth the price of admission. They do them stacked, not rolled:

NM_Enchi.jpg

Y'all need to keep an eye out for the circulars of your neighborhood Latino grocers (El Super, Northgate, etc). Every year, they have Hatch Chile roasting events. The chiles are available in huge burlap sacks (~30 lbs, and usually ~$30), and you just take them outside and they'll roast them for you. Take them home, put them into either vacuum bags or Ziplocs (squeeze all the air out) and freeze what you aren't going to use in the near future. They keep a very long time (we've used some that had been frozen for over a year, in Ziplocs, and noticed no off or reduced flavor or heat). Keep what you'll use and gift/sell some to friends.

The events usually happen in very late July or very early August and run to September. They usually travel from store to store, so keep an eye out to make sure you catch the one closest to you.

My wife's maternal side of the family comes from New Mexico, so Hatch chiles have been a part of my life for the last couple decades. I'm working on getting some of the family recipes finally written down, and maybe will share some if I ever get it done. The enchiladas alone are worth the price of admission. They do them stacked, not rolled:

NM_Enchi.jpg
The real question is red or green?

I always preferred the green myself
My local Pavillions did the hatch chile thing this past year as well

The real question is red or green?

I always preferred the green myself
My local Pavillions did the hatch chile thing this past year as well

Green. My wife's family uses only green. In NM, there's usually a choice in restaurants, or you can get what they call "Christmas style" with both.

Now that you mention that, I do remember seeing that Pavilion's was doing them last year. You can also order some online (more expensive, but sometimes available longer), and then roast them yourself. We prefer to do the roasting ourselves so we can get them exactly how we want them. I use them as part of a 7-pepper hot sauce that I make.

Ha! I watched this ep with Huell Howser not too long ago about a yearly event in La Puente about green Hatch chilies which is like what Krussadams described in that people buy roasted Hatch chilies by the sack. Now, I am wondering if that event still takes place. If not, I am sure there are others around here in the other valley. ;) :pepper:

How do you peel the skins off once they've been frozen?

Ha! I watched this ep with Huell Howser not too long ago about a yearly event in La Puente about green Hatch chilies which is like what Krussadams described in that people buy roasted Hatch chilies by the sack. Now, I am wondering if that event still takes place. If not, I am sure there are others around here in the other valley. ;) :pepper:

From the looks of it, it still does: http://www.elreyfarms.com/pickupgreenchile.html (I know this is the right place, too...look: http://www.elreyfarms.com/reyelfarms.html). Start placing your orders on July 15th: http://www.elreyonline.com/fresh_hatch_chile/

This is good to know. My wife's family always got them through a great aunt that lived in Yuma, AZ (she was originally from San Jon and Tucumcari NM). She's since passed away, so after depleting that stash, we've hit up the Northgate event once or twice. This one looks a hell of a lot more OG. I have a friend that lives in La Puente, so I'ma see if she knows about this.

Those are definitely the sacks I'm talking about. Last time I picked one of those up, me and my wife's uncle were manning two barbecue grills (and a several beers) all evening to char those little treasures up.

How do you peel the skins off once they've been frozen?

For my sauce, I don't peel them. They get pureed with skins on, and the cap. For other uses, once they thaw out, they're just like chiles that have been charred, put in bags and cooled down. The skin comes right off after thawing.

Green. My wife's family uses only green. In NM, there's usually a choice in restaurants, or you can get what they call "Christmas style" with both.

Right. Every restaurant in Santa Fe, New Mexico that I've been to will give you small bowls with each. Sometimes the green is hotter, and sometimes the red is.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom