Booze The single malt scotch thread

GregDM

A La Cuisine!
Just wondering who drinks it and what your favorites are.

A few I like (though I still have many to sample):

Highland Park 12 yr
Macallan 12 yr (or more years if I can get it)
Glenmorangie (port wood)
Balvenie (10 yr reserve or 12 yr doublewood)

Another vote here for Oban.... it is awfully good.

At the lower-end price-point 10-12 year, Glenlivet was my first--and is still my house whisky. Some may disagree, but it really appeals to my tastes. I can't keep that **** in the bottle!!

I'm big on Cognac over the past few years, so my Scotch vocabulary has taken a big hit.

This thread and the wine thread (not to mention all the jazz threads) make me feel so... unsophisticated.

:unsure:

Another vote here for Oban.... it is awfully good.

At the lower-end price-point 10-12 year, Glenlivet was my first--and is still my house whisky. Some may disagree, but it really appeals to my tastes. I can't keep that **** in the bottle!!

I'm big on Cognac over the past few years, so my Scotch vocabulary has taken a big hit.

Mr. I's everyday preference is for Glenfiddich, whereas i'd opt on a blend for everyday and have a bottle of Dewars... if i'm going to go single malt though, i'd stick with my trusty (jiri tlusty) Macallan 12.

considering your recent dips into cognacs, it's no surprise that you'd prefer Glenlivet.... actually, it's a pretty good indicator of you personal palate.

Is there any better three words in the English language then "Single Malt Scotch"?

If we are talking 12 year olds, I prefer Glenlivet over The Macallan. I'm with Blotto, I always have a bottle of Glenlivet at the pad.

I prefer the 15yo Macallan. I have the 10 also and can really taste the difference. What does this Oban taste like? Is it "peaty" or smooth like Macallan?

Mr. I's everyday preference is for Glenfiddich, whereas i'd opt on a blend for everyday and have a bottle of Dewars...

Oh dear lord.... d-d-d-d-DEWARS w-w-w-w-white label. The name alone starts me trembling. I can't even have it in the house anymore. It's a love/hate relationship: I LOVE drinking it, but hate waking up at 4am in the neighbors rosebushes with my pants around my ankles. Seriously, with the first gulp that witches brew lays waste to my self control.

I prefer the 15yo Macallan. I have the 10 also and can really taste the difference. What does this Oban taste like? Is it "peaty" or smooth like Macallan?

the 14-year old Oban will definitely drive the same point home that the Macallan 15 does, but the finish is (i'd say) even more delicate than the Macallan 10 or 12. not peaty whatosever and similar to a Glenlivet 25, though not as bold... it is strong enough though that it absolutely will not lose any body even if you were to introduce a little water to it.

blotto, Mr. I, and myself all have a very different #2. however i can taste the distinctions they are tasting in Oban.

Is there any better three words in the English language then "Single Malt Scotch"?
For me - any three words. I can't stand scotch. I've tried and tried but it just tastes like dirty ass to me.

GlenLivet 12 is also my everyday house whiskey. But when I'm 'drinking' It's Lagavulin. I love the smokiness. The first sip is strong but then it settles in so nicely..almost tastes like a campfire. If you have not tries this one you are really missing out. But give it about 5 sips before making your decision. It's a controversial taste but is my fav.

Others are Oban, Macallan 18, Balvanie 15, Highland Park.

Yes the difference between a 10 y.o. and 12 y.o and 18 y.o. is very apparent. I'm pretty desperate when I drink a 10 y.o.

GlenLivet 12 is also my everyday house whiskey. But when I'm 'drinking' It's Lagavulin. I love the smokiness. The first sip is strong but then it settles in so nicely..almost tastes like a campfire. If you have not tries this one you are really missing out. But give it about 5 sips before making your decision. It's a controversial taste but is my fav.

Others are Oban, Macallan 18, Balvanie 15, Highland Park.

Yes the difference between a 10 y.o. and 12 y.o and 18 y.o. is very apparent. I'm pretty desperate when I drink a 10 y.o.

Lagavulin was one of the first I ever enjoyed. I think the salty peatiness of the Islay scotches is really good. I have a bottle of Laphroig (Islay) at home that's pretty good, but kinda "medicinal." Also had some Bowmore 12 (I think) the other day and thought it was a little astringent.

When Highland Park is $39 at BevMo, it's my everday drink.

Oh dear lord.... d-d-d-d-DEWARS w-w-w-w-white label. The name alone starts me trembling. I can't even have it in the house anymore. It's a love/hate relationship: I LOVE drinking it, but hate waking up at 4am in the neighbors rosebushes with my pants around my ankles. Seriously, with the first gulp that witches brew lays waste to my self control.

While I'm sure it's good, you're disqualified--it's a blend. :smile2:

I think I'm getting a list of people I'd drink with at Frozen Fury from this thread...

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom