Booze The single malt scotch thread

To be fair, I should probably up that challenge to $30.00--that would be closer to Glenlivet's average retail price. $25 is Costco.

TJ's single malt, huh? gescom, If you remember who bottles it please post the name.

To be fair, I should probably up that challenge to $30.00--that would be closer to Glenlivet's average retail price. $25 is Costco.

TJ's single malt, huh? gescom, If you remember who bottles it please post the name.

according to this guy...

The TJ's House Label single-malts are made by a variety of distillers. The name of the distillers are clearly stated on the labels. So far, I have seen single-malts distilled by Macallan, Bowmore and Aberlour. They have ranged from 10 to 14 years in age.

and another guy...

An 18-year old Islay single-malt, distilled by Bowmore, is being sold under the Trader Joe's label for $40.

so, play at your own risk!

My girlfriend got me a bottle of Macallan 18 for my birthday. Yummy.

the TJ's single malt is manufactured by a big hitter company whose name escapes me right now... you MAY be able to nab the Balvenie at TJ's for cheaper as well. they are always seemingly putting the 12-year on sale.

and personally, i like it much better than the more expensive Double Wood.

As far as Balvenie goes, I like the 10 year old Founder's Reserve more than the Doublewood. The 10-year is around $30 at BevMo.

Don't mean to disrupt the aging process of this thread, but...

Every once in a while I pretend to become interested in my family heritage (I even have a bagpipe practice chanter ;)) and have at several times in the past tried to acquire an appreciation for Scotch. My mistake has obviously been to buy the bottom shelf stuff, but yesterday I finally shelled out a little bit more ($26 or so at Trader Joe's) looking for an improvement over the $10 stuff and I definitely succeeded in that. I bought the 12-year Glenfiddich:

glenfiddichcaoranreservov8.jpg

The difference between this bottle and those I've had in the past is huge. I'm pretty sure this falls at the bottom of the barrell price-wise (and therefore probably quality) in terms of decent Scotch, but it's the type of drink that I actually don't want more after my first glass because I want the bottle to last... At the same time I'm eager to try out other types to really get a feel for what I like.

I'm not just trying to get hammered as easily as possible but would rather go all snobby and try to dissect a complex "dram", so I want to stick to single malts. And after reading up a bit I think I'm looking for something with a much more "smokey" character; overall, just something that is good but with a noticably different character than the Glenfiddich (from the sounds of it, maybe an Islay distillery?). Like I said before, nothing against the Glenfiddich, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there. Any recommendations that hopefully fall somewhere close to the same beginner/novice/noob price range?

Islay whiskies are excellent for that smokey peaty taste, the strongest in taste is Laphroaig but there are also some good ones like Lagavulin, Bowmore and a couple of others. However I prefer Talisker for a smokey whisky, it is from the Isle of Skye and is just an awesome Whisky and distillery.

just graduated mr. box to this for our anniversary:
ProductImage.aspx

i get the rest of the glenlivet 18, which i usually drink with one ice cube in as well.

i was just at a wedding and their only scotch choices were dewars, johnnie walker and something else. i had 4 JWs and proceeded to black out for a period of time after the wedding to when we all went to the beach... i don't know if i'll do that again... ah, who am i kidding! that was some good times!!! but rest assured you connoisseurs, i sip and enjoy the high quality stuff.

Islay whiskies are excellent for that smokey peaty taste, the strongest in taste is Laphroaig but there are also some good ones like Lagavulin, Bowmore and a couple of others. However I prefer Talisker for a smokey whisky, it is from the Isle of Skye and is just an awesome Whisky and distillery.

Working my way through a first bottle of Talisker presently. Kinda strange that I absolutely LOVE heavily smoked foods, but don't like the super-peaty Whiskies at all---especially the Lagavulin and Laphroaig mentioned above. They taste like mountains of burning tires to my palate. Even the first whiff of the Talisker turned me off considerably, but after opened for a bit, some of that smoke blew off and revealed REALLY nice depth and secondary flavors. I've also found that smoking a cigar with it diminishes the smokiness and allows the other flavors to show forth even more. Wouldn't mind trying this with the others.

One that I REALLY like is the Glenfarclas 21. Got one at Duty Free last year and it didn't last long at all. DAMN that's good ****! Another Duty Free run coming up in October.... probably pick up at least two or three 21'ers. The prices are just too good to pass up.

Last edited:
Working my way through a first bottle of Talisker presently. Kinda strange that I absolutely LOVE heavily smoked foods, but don't like the super-peaty Whiskies at all---especially the Lagavulin and Laphroaig mentioned above. They taste like mountains of burning tires to my palate. Even the first whiff of the Talisker turned me off considerably, but after opened for a bit, some of that smoke blew off and revealed REALLY nice depth and secondary flavors. I've also found that smoking a cigar with it diminishes the smokiness and allows the other flavors to show forth even more. Wouldn't mind trying this with the others.

One that I REALLY like is the Glenfarclas 21. Got one at Duty Free last year and it didn't last long at all. DAMN that's good ****! Another Duty Free run coming up in October.... probably pick up at least two or three 21'ers. The prices are just too good to pass up.

Actually I just finished a tasting/training on malts that we stock(I own a pub here.) and Glenfarclas was rated as the 2nd best speyside whisky.

that Islay stuff is some seriously mossy business, huh?

Sounds like that's what I'm looking for. :good:

i'm not certain about all Islay whisky, but if i'm not mistaken, Laphroaig actually uses the water from the bogs or something like that... OUCH, double peaty... er, re-peat!

Don't mean to disrupt the aging process of this thread, but...

Every once in a while I pretend to become interested in my family heritage (I even have a bagpipe practice chanter ;)) and have at several times in the past tried to acquire an appreciation for Scotch. My mistake has obviously been to buy the bottom shelf stuff, but yesterday I finally shelled out a little bit more ($26 or so at Trader Joe's) looking for an improvement over the $10 stuff and I definitely succeeded in that. I bought the 12-year Glenfiddich:

glenfiddichcaoranreservov8.jpg

The difference between this bottle and those I've had in the past is huge. I'm pretty sure this falls at the bottom of the barrell price-wise (and therefore probably quality) in terms of decent Scotch, but it's the type of drink that I actually don't want more after my first glass because I want the bottle to last... At the same time I'm eager to try out other types to really get a feel for what I like.

I'm not just trying to get hammered as easily as possible but would rather go all snobby and try to dissect a complex \"dram\", so I want to stick to single malts. And after reading up a bit I think I'm looking for something with a much more \"smokey\" character; overall, just something that is good but with a noticably different character than the Glenfiddich (from the sounds of it, maybe an Islay distillery?). Like I said before, nothing against the Glenfiddich, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there. Any recommendations that hopefully fall somewhere close to the same beginner/novice/noob price range?

I actually really like the Glenfiddich 12,15,18 years a lot. The 12 has a fruity, kind of pear taste. The 15 is kind of raisin-y and the 18 is like cinnamon and apples. At least that's what I get out of them.

If you want smokey, I suggest Laphroaig.

OK. time for a bump.

I'm always searching for a true everyday single-malt that's better for the price ($35 and down) than my trusty ol' Glenlivet. Boy, I sure found it:

SingletonGlendullan.jpg

At 35 bones this stuff kicks Glenlivet's ass up and down the block for days. Not even a fair fight. This has GOT to be the reigning champ, as the complexity and length is INCREDIBLE at this price point. The Aberlour 12 I was liking quite a bit for $33, but The Singleton has won my heart and a permanent place in my cabinet for everyday drinking. Cool flask-shaped bottle too. I strongly recommend tracking down a bottle.

Here are some pretty accurate tasting notes I found:

Producer's Tasting Notes

Appearance: Deep gold, polished mahogany highlights.

Nose: Approachable and rich. First polished wood and nuts (toasted hazelnut) dominate, then rich fruits, both stewed (baked apples) and dried (sweeet dates) take over, with soft brown sugar. Behind this, a stick of liquorice. Mossy. Water brings out a sweeter, more direct Speyside character (citrus fruits, pear drops!). Clean and dense. After a while, warm, dry aromas of pencil shavings or match-sticks.

Body: Smooth. Medium.

Palate: Sweetness and crunchy nuts impress at first, then there's a smooth, fruity Speyside richness to enjoy. Firm, with a balancing sweetness: hints of blackcurrant fruit, brown sugar and espresso coffee. Warming and pleasant. With water, still a pleasant texture. Light sweetness, then chewy and balanced by a light acidity, with a good spread of flavours mid-palate.

Finish: Medium to long. Elegantly drying and crisp; then a sweetly nutty delayed warmth, which lingers pleasantly.

Dig it!! :chug:

OK. time for a bump.

I'm always searching for a true everyday single-malt that's better for the price ($35 and down) than my trusty ol' Glenlivet. Boy, I sure found it:

SingletonGlendullan.jpg

At 35 bones this stuff kicks Glenlivet's ass up and down the block for days. Not even a fair fight. This has GOT to be the reigning champ, as the complexity and length is INCREDIBLE at this price point. The Aberlour 12 I was liking quite a bit for $33, but The Singleton has won my heart and a permanent place in my cabinet for everyday drinking. Cool flask-shaped bottle too. I strongly recommend tracking down a bottle.

Here are some pretty accurate tasting notes I found:

Dig it!! :chug:

I :bigheart: you man!

I am going to have try that one....

Otto how would you compare The Singleton to The Macallan?

Back
Top Bottom