Booze The single malt scotch thread

I think I'm getting a list of people I'd drink with at Frozen Fury from this thread...

the only discouraging thing is that it'll cost you about half the price of a bottle of Oban just to sniff the cork... i had like three of those little wheezes last year like a moran!

I used to get invited to scotch tastings by Johnnie Walker. I am not a fan of their product but the tastings were great. All the free scotch you could drink! The Master Blender would come over from Scotland to host the tastings.

One thing that I learned that just fascinates me is the way scotch is blended. Blended scotch's are of course a blend of different single malts. The master blender explained that if you drink a Johnnie Walker scotch today that it will taste the same as if he opens a bottle from 200 years ago. Scotch is blended not by taste but by smell. A single malts taste may vary from year to year due to weather conditions and other variables. Since that will alter the taste of a blend a new recipe has to be created every year. The way he keeps the taste the same from year to year is by smelling samples of all the single malts and then combining some of them in varying amounts. it is fascinating to me that he can keep the taste that consistent.

I also think that having that keen of a since of smell must be awful when just walking through different parts of a town or going over to peoples houses.

While I'm sure it's good, you're disqualified--it's a blend. :smile2:

yeah, I was just making reference to gescom's comment that basically for a cheap "house bottle" (like under $20), a blend like Dewars may be a better buy. No matter what, blends--even the low-end ones can be smoother than like-priced single malts. But Dewars is almost TOO smooth. DANGEROUSLY smooth..... I know. No blends allowed. Got it. So I guess I can't pimp my Suntory Hibiki then. :grin:

Not to run afoul of the Macallan crew, but while the flavor is nice I've always considered it too hot on the finish. For me anyway. Even the 18. Got a bottle as a gift and was surprised that it wasn't more smooth at that price.

Last edited:
"Hand Rolled Cuban"

????

Ok, Ok, I give you are right here!

On a side note, I am a big Johnny Walker fan (Blue). On a trip home off a British business trip I stopped in the duty free and had the opportunity to get a good deal on a smaller then a fifth (1/2 liter??) of Blue label. The beauty was the lady gave me some tastes of various JW products. Blue, Green, Gold. The fourth was a unique bottle that I am still kicking myself for not getting. It was a single malt that they only offer in Great Britain. Not a bad start to the day. Fourth quality scotch shots by 9:30 am and then onto a business class flight home. Yes, that was a good day.

Haven't cracked that JW Blue label yet either. Has to have aged five more years. Might be time for a couple of fingers ...

Note: Whiskey is not bottle aged. It is aged in wooden casks and then bottled. It will taste the same today as it will in 5 years. So drink up and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 14-year old Oban will definitely drive the same point home that the Macallan 15 does, but the finish is (i'd say) even more delicate than the Macallan 10 or 12. not peaty whatosever and similar to a Glenlivet 25, though not as bold... it is strong enough though that it absolutely will not lose any body even if you were to introduce a little water to it.

blotto, Mr. I, and myself all have a very different #2. however i can taste the distinctions they are tasting in Oban.

This is something that should be done with all single-malts imho. A dollop of water to cut the alcohol burn so you're left with the sweet bouquet and flavors.

I don't drink enough to need a beater bottle so I buy at the minimum 15yr and up for single malts.
JW Blue is my regular blend.

Last edited:
Yes, that is one of the things I learned from the JW tastings. Single malts are meant to have just a tiny bit of water added to the glass. This will release the flavor and open it up. They should also be served neat. But I like one cube of ice with mine.

Yes, that is one of the things I learned from the JW tastings. Single malts are meant to have just a tiny bit of water added to the glass. This will release the flavor and open it up. They should also be served neat. But I like one cube of ice with mine.

That's what I usually do. I'll put one cube in my glass and swirl it around to get a little melted for that tiny bit of water. Sometimes I'll fish out the rest of the cube.

For me - any three words. I can't stand scotch. I've tried and tried but it just tastes like dirty ass to me.

I guess we'll have to take your word for it. I, myself, have never tasted "dirty ass" before.

I used to drink Laphroig, but Lagavulin is far superior (IMO). It's less medicinal and the peaty flavor is less intense. Both are pricey, but then again, I don't drink this stuff everyday!:skull:

Mmm. I'm enjoying a glass of Glenlivet 12 right now (washing down a steak) and I'd like to ask if anyone can recommend a single-malt for the same price: 25 bucks or less that's this good. I'd be happy to try.

$25 is hard to do. The 12 year Balvenie is $32 at BevMo....Actually, Trader Joes has a bottle with the TJ name on it that was decent. I think it was around $20. I would drink it again.

$25 is hard to do. The 12 year Balvenie is $32 at BevMo....Actually, Trader Joes has a bottle with the TJ name on it that was decent. I think it was around $20. I would drink it again.

the TJ's single malt is manufactured by a big hitter company whose name escapes me right now... you MAY be able to nab the Balvenie at TJ's for cheaper as well. they are always seemingly putting the 12-year on sale.

and personally, i like it much better than the more expensive Double Wood.

Back
Top Bottom