Booze The single malt scotch thread

Celebrated the Kings' Stanley Cup victory with this. Yum.

one of my superstitions was having a night cap of scotch after every win. i ran out after round 2, i think though, and moved on to bourbon instead. my next bottle is gonna be a lagavulin. it's the power of suggestion and ron swanson at work there.

one of my superstitions was having a night cap of scotch after every win. i ran out after round 2, i think though, and moved on to bourbon instead. my next bottle is gonna be a lagavulin. it's the power of suggestion and ron swanson at work there.

Nothing wrong with a good Bourbon. Love the George T. Stagg and Pappy 15.

If you're going to go with Lag, might I recommend the Lag 12. I think its now at all places selling for more than the 16. But it is much much much better.

Nothing wrong with a good Bourbon. Love the George T. Stagg and Pappy 15.

If you're going to go with Lag, might I recommend the Lag 12. I think its now at all places selling for more than the 16. But it is much much much better.

tried getting the 12 today and they said they haven't had it in a couple years, something about it being hard to get, rare or whatever. oh well. went with the 16 to try. as i understand it, it's a bit peatier than what we normally drink.

they were doing some special on ardberg, too, but i passed.

tried getting the 12 today and they said they haven't had it in a couple years, something about it being hard to get, rare or whatever. oh well. went with the 16 to try. as i understand it, it's a bit peatier than what we normally drink.

they were doing some special on ardberg, too, but i passed.

The Lag 12 was a limited release. I am hoping it becomes one of their regular releases. You can search for it on wine searcher. There are some stores in New York still selling it for under $70.

The special on Ardbeg may have been the new Day bottling. Very spicy and very very very very heavily peated. Only slightly less peaty than the Supernova. It flew off the shelves when it was released. Hi Times in Orange County had a big Ardbeg Day event. I've tasted it a couple of times. The first time all I got was burnt grassy peat. The second time I got more of the spice, but still seemed to be very one-notish; not terribly dynamic and not worth the price tag.

The Lag 12 was a limited release. I am hoping it becomes one of their regular releases. You can search for it on wine searcher. There are some stores in New York still selling it for under $70.

The special on Ardbeg may have been the new Day bottling. Very spicy and very very very very heavily peated. Only slightly less peaty than the Supernova. It flew off the shelves when it was released. Hi Times in Orange County had a big Ardbeg Day event. I've tasted it a couple of times. The first time all I got was burnt grassy peat. The second time I got more of the spice, but still seemed to be very one-notish; not terribly dynamic and not worth the price tag.

that's where i was. hi-times. and ya, from what the ardberg girl was telling me and what you are telling me now, it's not my thing. it was weird though, she had the table set up to look like they would do a tasting and i wasn't the only one who asked, but she said they weren't. so i didn't really want to stray away from what i was there to pick up.

it was funny... normally, the people at hi-times are super friendly and helpful but the guy who "helped" me with the scotch was like comic book guy from the simpsons when i asked him if they had any other lagavulin bottles, perhaps in the back.
i'm not likely to go outta my way and order it from out of state, but thanks. :)

The first time I tasted Ardbeg in a lineup it was like someone had stuffed an old tire with green olives and lit it on fire. It was repulsive, disgusting, intriguing, mesmerizing, and finally bewitching. And I bought it. Once the tire smoke blows off (or with a cigar) a much deeper character and some very pretty flavors peeked out.

View attachment 3712

Celebrated the Kings' Stanley Cup victory with this. Yum.

LOVE the Glencairn glasses. And about 6 bucks a pop. Take that, Riedel.

Last edited:
Laphroaig is the s**t.

Ya know, I'm just not a fan. I LOVE Islay malts. That peaty, smokey flavor is genuinely unique. But Laphroaig is too medicinal tasting for me. And there are a lot of really good Islay drops out there. A lot.

Ya know, I'm just not a fan. I LOVE Islay malts. That peaty, smokey flavor is genuinely unique. But Laphroaig is too medicinal tasting for me. And there are a lot of really good Islay drops out there. A lot.

I made an interesting and affordable purchase that contains a little bit of mystery. It is the Ellenstown 10. This is an independent bottling of some Islay distillery, and the consensus is that it is Ardbeg. My palate does not equate it with anything Ardbeg. It is usually sold in the $55 range. Loaded with spice and well balanced with peat.

Ellenstown has also released a 12 year which is very different from the 10, and from my palate is quite clearly a Bruichladdich. It is not nearly as good as the 10 yr.

If you're in the market for a value Islay, definitely look into the Ellenstown 10. You won't be disappointed.

I made an interesting and affordable purchase that contains a little bit of mystery. It is the Ellenstown 10. This is an independent bottling of some Islay distillery, and the consensus is that it is Ardbeg. My palate does not equate it with anything Ardbeg. It is usually sold in the $55 range. Loaded with spice and well balanced with peat.

Ellenstown has also released a 12 year which is very different from the 10, and from my palate is quite clearly a Bruichladdich. It is not nearly as good as the 10 yr.

If you're in the market for a value Islay, definitely look into the Ellenstown 10. You won't be disappointed.

Where can I pick some of this up? Bevmo?

Might have posted this earlier, but for a while Bevmo carried a small label brand By Jon, Mark and Robbo aka The Easy Drinking Whiskey Company. Sadly, I think they are no more. But they had what I would characterize as an "entry level" Islay style malt at around $35 a bottle called The Smokey, Peaty One. Sure wish I could find something like it again. I thought it hit home pretty well, especially for the price. An olde review here

Spirits Review | Reviews | Scotch Vatted | Jon, Mark and Robbo's Malt Scotch Whiskey | The Smokey Peaty One

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Ellenstown at Wades Wines in the Westlake Village area. If you go, chat up Marty. He runs their whiskey program. If you get him a good discussion, he might... just might give a you a sample of something interesting.

Thought I'd throw this out there again. The LA Scotch Club is holding its annual Peatin Meatin. Check out the website lascotchclub.com; especially the promotional video.

It's $75; pricey, I know. That includes an extraordinary amount of really good peated whisky, dinner, a t-shirt and a Peatin Meatin glencairn glass. It really is the Superbowl of our year, and is amazing. If you go, you will not be disappointed.

So the other night I got to go to a Glenlivet tasting. Frankly, not one of my faves. Actually, I find it rather pedestrian and even though it is reasonably priced, I'd just as soon pass on it for other interesting stuff. But my suspicions were correct as it turned out, and the brand ambassador who was putting on the tasting is an old friend who I haven't seen in over 10 years. Also, they did not present their usual stuff.

This tasting involved some single barrel selections that apparently are completely sold out. One was called Helios, another called Josie, and a third called Legacy. These single barrel bottlings represent nothing of the usual stuff the distillery puts out.

The Helios was not terribly exciting. Good spice, vanilla and banana notes consistent with a good scotch aged in American oak barrels. The Josie was f'in amazing. I was so shocked that I liked it as much as I did. Aged 17 years in a Sherry Butt, the whisky was a complex set of dried fruits including apricot, cherry and peach with a very long spicy finish. The type of whisky that exhibits an extremely satisfying complexity. The Legacy was also very good. I did not find as exciting as the Josie, but its still very good.

Just found some pricing and they are available. The Legacy is only (only?) $145US from a store in Germany, and the Josie is going for around $225US at Royal Mile in England. Ouch. Why do I always like the very expensive ones?

In following up on the Glenlivet event from last week, while there, me and few friends had a nice chat with Rick Edwards who is a representative for many distilleries in a vast portfolio. Two of which are Glenlivet and Aberlour. So, we arranged an Aberlour tasting at the last minute, which was nicely attended. The goal of the event was to see if we could discern different tasting notes from different batches of Abunadh.

The Abunadh (pronounced, Ah-BOON-ah, with perhaps a very slight "R" at the tail end) is a cask strength, sherry cask release that Aberlour releases marking the batch and barrel on each label. For many of my friends, there are favorite batches and some batches to avoid. One friend is such a freakazoid about the Abunadh that he has a journal discerning which batch and barrel are superior to the others.

So we tasted the Aberlour 12, 16, and 18 which are doublewoods (meaning the whisky is aged in sherry and American oak casks) and three different batches of Abunadh (16, 21 and 39). The general consensus seemed to be that there were consistent flavor characteristics across the different batch, but as you look closer, there are definite variances. For me, Batch 39 presented much more complexity with good sweet dried fruit of apple and fig, with a bone dry, spicy finish that was very long and mellowed into a black licorice type of taste. On the other hand, Batch 21 just did not present much discernable taste at all. Batch 16 was complex, for my palate, not as good as the 39. Batch 16 had a mustiness that was a little off-putting for me.

These are good whiskies and are reasonably priced. If you like sherry bombs you should definitely check them out. That Batch 39 is a recent release so it might be available in stores.

xmas presents from my father-in-law:
photo-135.jpg

not as fancy, but he currently keeps a bottle of tomatin in his cabinet at home for us when we want a night cap.

View attachment 4209

What is this you ask? Coffee in a mini Glencairn glass? Water colored with caramel? No. This is what happens to Glenfarclas whisky when it is aged in a sherry barrel for 42 years. This is the Glenfarclas 1970 and it was brilliant. Needless to say the nose was all sherry with hints of various tree fruit (a little red apple). The taste had several chocolate tones (milk and dark), orange, grapefruit and lots of sherry wood (imagine that). The finish was long and gentle with lots of dark chocolate.

The others tasted last night were all single barrel bottlings that included: Glen Garioch 14; Faultline 10; Caperdonich 18; Glendronach 19; Kilchoman (4 year, no age statement was actually presented); Buichladdich (around 10 yr.); Benriach 1984 (27 yr.). It was put on by K&L Wines to feature some of their single barrel offerings.

The gem for me was the Kilchoman. For those who don't know, this is the newest distillery on Islay. In fact, I think it is the first new distillery on Islay in about 100 years. They started releasing their whisky only a year or two ago (because under Scottish law, whisky must be aged at least 3 years to be labeled as "whisky"; until then it is called "spirit" or "new make"). The Kilchoman was really interesting and pretty expensive at $120 per bottle. The value was the Faultline. This is not the name of the distillery. Some distilleries do not allow unique bottlings like single barrel releases or independent bottlings so a release of a unique bottle from those distilleries must be done under a different name. The Faultline is actually Glenmorangie. It is being sold for $55 per bottle. It is just a solid, very drinkable whisky.

If you find this interesting, keep your eyes peeled either at the LA Scotch Club website or K&L's website. There may be another event very shortly featuring many of the same bottles.

Bump. This once masterful thread is slowly dying. Let's not hope the scotch consumption out there isn't. Here are some gems I recently tasted:

Miltonduff 1989 22 yr-Chieftans
Glenfarclas 1996 15 yr. Traverso's Bottling
Highland Park Bicentenary 1977
Highland Park 25
Bowmore 28 1984 D&M Aficianados Club
Bowmore 1989 16
Laphrooaig 1995 16 yr. Signatory
Longmorn-Glenlivet 1971 Scott's Selection
Dallas Dhu 12 Gordon & MacPhail
Rosebank 10 Murray McDavid
Glenlochy 1980 24 Duncan Taylor
Glen Mhor 1978 Scotts Selection
Imperial 17 1995 Scott's Selection
Compass Box Spice Tree
The Classic Cask 35

Of these the faves are Dallas Dhu (I'm partial to anything Dallas Dhu) and the Highland Parks. The Bicentenary was definitely not your typical HP, but I liked just the same. Most of the others were pretty good, but there were a couple of dogs like the Bowmore (FWP up the yin-yang... that's French Whore Perfume in reference to those whiskies that smell sickly vanilla sweet).

What has everyone out there been drinking?

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom