Booze The single malt scotch thread

Just cracked open the first of the bottles brought back from Scotland. Now, we tasted most of these before buying them. This one is an exception because it was not being sampled. It is a Gordon & Macphail Glen Grant 25 year. The aroma presents with some old wood and ripe banana. The taste is aged spice, a slight hint of heat, a little vanilla, and a very nice long finish.

As my girlfriend just put it, "That is way too easy to drink."

OK, I'm on board Snuck a bottle into the cart at Costco.

I got some Buchanan's. It tastes like novacaine with liquid smoke in it.

I tried it again last night and it was pretty nice. VERY woody taste but growing to like it.

I pour it over an ice cube or two and it is very tasty. Very smoky but I am getting used to it.

How, if at all, does the taste change with a dash of water?

opens the flavors up. i always take it neat (no water, no ice) though. the only thing i might do is drop a whisky stone from the freezer in. so it cuts a bit of the heat without affecting the flavor of a single malt, neat. i always cringe when i look at instagram and see pictures of very high quality whisky served in a glass full of rocks....... :-/

Can you have too much scotch? Apparently, which is why I haven't done much buying of late. But on a recent overseas trip, I stopped into the duty free and came across a series of Highland Parks that are sold only in duty free stores. This one is Highland Park Leif Erickson. A good solid dram. Not mind-blowing, but all around tasty. What makes this different from the usual HP releases is that they use American Oak for LE, whereas the usual releases typically use sherry casks and sherry butts. And if you're traveling overseas, need a good drink on the plane, and can't take a full bottle through security, this is a really good dram.

I thought I would be able to buy some other bottles on the way home, but to no avail. There were a couple other HP's that are sold only in duty free shops, and looked mighty tasty.

I picked up the Leif Erickson on a Europe trip a couple years back, and you nailed it. Not earth-moving, but damn delicious. They had a little tasting table right there in Duty Free and it stood out from the other HP's from the oak no doubt. But honestly, the box was just too cool to pass up.

View attachment 5237

Finally did the Scotland trip. These are the bottles that gf and I brought back. We visited about 16 distilleries. Just an amazing trip.

HOLY *****!!!!!! Respect! congrats:

So we had the friends over for the massive Scotch tasting of of the several bottles we brought back: Gordon & MacPhails Glen Grant 25, Tomatin Cu Bocan Sherry Cask, Ardbeg Kildalton, Dalmore Distillery Exclusive (18 year finished in two different port casks), 4 Kilchomans, 19 year Laphroig barrel sample, Arran Millennium, Arran Machrie Moor cask strength, Arran sherry single cask, Caol Ila Stitchel Reserve (unpeated whisky), Caol Ila Feis Isle 2013 and 2014, Lagavulin single cask and Glen Moray VC10.

Good times. Sure made the Kings' loss a little less bothersome.

So we had the friends over for the massive Scotch tasting of of the several bottles we brought back: Gordon & MacPhails Glen Grant 25, Tomatin Cu Bocan Sherry Cask, Ardbeg Kildalton, Dalmore Distillery Exclusive (18 year finished in two different port casks), 4 Kilchomans, 19 year Laphroig barrel sample, Arran Millennium, Arran Machrie Moor cask strength, Arran sherry single cask, Caol Ila Stitchel Reserve (unpeated whisky), Caol Ila Feis Isle 2013 and 2014, Lagavulin single cask and Glen Moray VC10.

:38smile:

I need more friends like you. Or even just one like you. Or, just you. Buddy.

Don't know what you all have been drinking, but the other night was Laphroig.

The Select
Triple Wood
Cairdeas
Quarter Cask

10, 15, 18, 25, 30

About 4 different expressions of the 10 at cask strength.
2 young Signatory vintages
19 yr barrel sample

OK Peat Freaks. Peatin Meetin is back. The LA Scotch Club is putting on the 7th incarnation of what is becoming the premier celebration of peated whisky (at least in the US; can't compete with Feis Isle that goes down annually on Islay). It will be August 15 somewhere on the USC campus... hopefully not in some frosh's dorm room, but at a legitimate outdoor location.

You can expect there to be at least 50 whiskies (actual number is probably closer to 100, but who's counting?), distillery representatives, mixologists serving up peated whisky cocktails, a cigar lounge, master classes and peated BBQ.

Who's in?

View attachment 5449

So, here are a few gems from Peatin Meetin on Saturday. Bear in mind that I think I sampled over 20 whiskies in total. Thank god I got out of pouring whisky for the group, or the night would have been just a total disaster (if you can imagine someone pouring whisky: "one for you, and one for me"). This was just a photo op.

The real standouts here are that Longrow, the OMC Caol Ila 18 and the Supernova (of course). Laphroig is always solid, but that 15 just tasted watered down compared to the 18. The Balvenie was interesting, but the peated version just seemed a little out of place. Unfortunately, the HP and Benromach were just plain forgettable (but that's what tasting is all about).

Slainte

OK folks; this needs a bump and some activity from other than yours truly. I feel like I'm drinking alone and that's no good. Ergo, sharing this gem as the recent bottle of awesomeness I've tasted. It's a marrying of 4 or 5 different barrels; two of which are peated. The end result is a spicy, slightly peaty, decently aggressive whisky. This is a new series of limited edition releases that Isle of Arran will be producing. It's kind of the new way of marketing whisky. Instead of a standard set of aged whiskies, the distilleries are producing these special releases without age statements (allows them to sell younger whiskies without broadcasting a young age statement).

Anyways, hope you all have dramming too.

View attachment 5579

Probably just calling [MENTION=633]xcheck[/MENTION] would be easier but looking for help. My sister is looking to get her boss a good bottle of scotch. She's good for about $100 and as far as I know doesn't know a thing about Scotch. I've not delved into the world seriously at all. Help appreciated for anything she can buy from LA area.

Now Chirping

• No one is chatting at the moment.
Back
Top Bottom