***Edmonton Oilers vs. LA Kings GDT 12/30/23 >>7:00pm<< on BSW

With all the retooling the Kings have done in the summer to counter the Oilers in the playoffs, they have not in my opinion improved against them. If the team plays the Oilers in the playoffs I am not sure they'll prevail.
Tap the brakes. They’ve played the Oilers exactly 1 time this season. It was a shootout loss where the Kings took 4 minor penalties and allowed zero 5 on 5 goals. Let’s not act like the Oilers blew the doors off the game tonight.

Tap the brakes. They’ve played the Oilers exactly 1 time this season. It was a shootout loss where the Kings took 4 minor penalties and allowed zero 5 on 5 goals. Let’s not act like the Oilers blew the doors off the game tonight.
I get that it's only 1 game. However watching the Kings give up 2 goals on powerplays reminds one of last season playoffswhen the Oilers scored at will on the PP.

I get that it's only 1 game. However watching the Kings give up 2 goals on powerplays reminds one of last season playoffswhen the Oilers scored at will on the PP.
One of the last playoffs? Every game they won because of their pp. Oilers cycle, draw penalty, puck in net. No pp, no Oilers win. But, Kings have to take a penalty because they start chasing. Kings didn’t allow that in the first, Kings kept possession.

Don’t overreact Kings are are at 97% makings the playoffs after this game Oilers are still only 43 % they need to climb over a lot of teams. Oilers need to be 14 games over 500 to make it in historically they are 2. Any losing streak or a winning opposing team streak above them they are toast. I revel in the possibility they do not get in
About a month ago, the Kings were 20 or more points ahead of the Oilers. Now they are 10 points ahead with the same amount of games played. Oilers are beating teams like the Rangers, Kings are beating teams like the Sharks. The last quality win against a playoff team was on Dec 3rd against the Avalanche, a month ago. The record does not lie. 1- 3-2 against playoff teams In the month of December. The Oilers will make the playoffs and will probably pass the Kings.

I thought QB was overall the best forward for the Kings tonight. His size, speed and effort gave the Oilers as much trouble as anyone on the Kings. Tonight and the Vegas game were the first time all season where QB got more than 17:00 of ice time in consecutive games.
I just wish McLellan would play him in OT. With his speed he could do some serious damage!

The Kings were the better team 5 on 5 tonight. If they stay out of the box they win.
How often do teams go without taking a single penalty in a game? Even if they play perfectly, the refs will call something. The Kings need to learn to kill a penalty instead of skating on eggshells all game.

About a month ago, the Kings were 20 or more points ahead of the Oilers. Now they are 10 points ahead with the same amount of games played. Oilers are beating teams like the Rangers, Kings are beating teams like the Sharks. The last quality win against a playoff team was on Dec 3rd against the Avalanche, a month ago. The record does not lie. 1- 3-2 against playoff teams In the month of December. The Oilers will make the playoffs and will probably pass the Kings.
Well then luckily the Kings have the weakest schedule remaining of all 32 teams

How did Pierre-Luc Petersen do tonight?
Winnipeg is rejoicing, however some here believe he will step up in the playoffs. He rises to the occasion when he plays quality teams like the Oilers.

I thought the main reason for bring PLD on board was so the Kings could compete and beat the Oliers. From the looks of it. It is a great failure. PLD has zero impact on this team.

I know PLD has his supporters.. I think... but how? I mean the guy can barely handle the puck or make a pass. He stumbles offsides, can't drive the net. The only thing he sort of does well is defend his teammates, but the guy has less puck handling skills, this season from watching him play, than honestly anyone else on the roster. At this point he's an $8.5/mil or whatever a year "big body". Wow. If that's what we brought in to beat the Oilers then.. sh*t. Trade him now while people still think he'll somehow be better than he is one day.

Don’t overreact Kings are are at 97% makings the playoffs after this game Oilers are still only 43 % they need to climb over a lot of teams. Oilers need to be 14 games over 500 to make it in historically they are 2. Any losing streak or a winning opposing team streak above them they are toast. I revel in the possibility they do not get in

Kings fans should revel at the possibility the Oilers don't get in. I for one couldn't take losing to them 3 playoffs in a row.

There was a point I believe we got 3 shots in 25 minutes. We showed up for 1 period and got totally offensively smitten for 40 minutes. Our #1 defense held firm, but all that you're going to do in that time is take penalties, which is exactly what the Oilers want. So we played right into their game. Talbot and our D played well.

This is the problem. Remember the ease of schedule thing? The Kings are taking advantage where they can, but failing to come up in big games.

Skies not falling but just my observations of 1 game in December. I absolutely hate the Oilers and their 2 man nonsense team :D

Last edited:
Kings fans should revel at the possibility the Oilers don't get in. I for one couldn't take losing to them 3 playoffs in a row.
Then you must not have been around in the early 90s. It wasn't pretty. It might have been 4 in a row if the Oilers hadn't missed the playoffs in 93.

The Kings need to figure out how to beat these guys. They are certainly not invincible and Mc Jesus is only one player...figure it out!

jom

Kings aren’t good enough yet…

34 and 21 (as much as I love Spence) can’t play on par with the Oilers.

Congratulations to the following posters who correctly guessed 8 minors would be assessed and/or Draisaitl for the final goal of the year (bonus points to those who had both he and Kempe):

8 minors (1 point):
Rog or Reg?
Rogie-Vachon
JayWells24
Clif
Cross Traffic
randdog
jammer06
Sevenhole
CIrvine
Nyssa42
Jerram
cokingsfan

Draisaitl final goal w/Kempe (2 points):
Rog or Reg?
Dr. Tran
VegasHockey
Madness20721
Guinevere
KernCoKingFan
VCRW
Clif
DRice
sonnyboy11
SirJW
forum gold
notbob
mugs
Chateau Bow Wow
empire
AngelEyes
rinkrat
jammer06
katydid213
Bill Hicks
Shackleford
Kurisu
Nyssa42
Jerram
Rusty
horman
cokingsfan
beady eye
dannybuoy1

Draisaitl alone (1 point):
puckoff
DRGinLBC
Cross Traffic
randdog
KHenry14
JC6388LAKings
Sevenhole

That was a sh*tload of winners to ring in the new year with, too bad the kings aren't also on the list. Still digesting the ramifications of what that was, the staff clearly conceded that they had to make adjustments but were they the right ones? What else changed between periods 1-2, and do they like that third. It's really easy to be a fan of that first but was it an anomaly or just more of the hot cold that this rivalry seems to swing on. Tough game and as always the question of if this teams best is good enough lurks below the surface.

Please be safe out there tonight, for myself I'll be playing abducktion with the family amongst other board games and we all wish everyone a happy new year!

Then you must not have been around in the early 90s. It wasn't pretty. It might have been 4 in a row if the Oilers hadn't missed the playoffs in 93.

The Kings need to figure out how to beat these guys. They are certainly not invincible and Mc Jesus is only one player...figure it out!

jom

I was around... being about 1 y/o at the time :D

Please be safe out there tonight, for myself I'll be playing abducktion with the family amongst other board games and we all wish everyone a happy new year!

Also playing some board games.. maybe Ark Nova or Welcome to the Moon. Happy New Year!

jom
I sure remember the early 90s, bitterly. It's interesting that the Kings-OIlers rivalry, dormant for 30 years, has come back to life.
As for the game last night, very disappointing loss. Not because it was in a shootout or because they lost a 2-0 lead, but because they were outplayed, in what was supposed to be a statement game (as much as can be in December) for basically two whole periods.
As others have pointed out, the Kings can't seem to beat playoff teams on a regular basis. That is a concern.
One bright spot last night was the PK. Yes, they allowed 1 PPG, but then they killed a 5-3 and then a 5-4 in the second, when the game could have gotten away. They also had a clutch kill late in the 3rd. The PK was the main reason the KIngs pulled out one point last night.

all I know is, I am NEVER doing the goalie taunt chant ever again!! (Ok, maybe if we have like a 10 goal lead I'll do it). I knew it was a mistake when I was chanting "Skinnnerrrr, Skinnnnerr...." with only a 2 goal lead.

all I know is, I am NEVER doing the goalie taunt chant ever again!! (Ok, maybe if we have like a 10 goal lead I'll do it). I knew it was a mistake when I was chanting "Skinnnerrrr, Skinnnnerr...." with only a 2 goal lead.
It was just a coincidence. ;)

For a team with so many players to love, this Kings team does not feel cohesive or have a clear identity. Dubois’ play looks alienated from everyone else, and frankly so does Fiala’s - who is fast becoming my least favorite player. Even Kempe feels a bit more muted/disconnected. Something feels off.

Back
Top Bottom